A7V133 + WinXP = cannot install SB Live!

Discussion in 'Asus' started by -DraconuS-, Oct 28, 2003.

  1. -DraconuS-

    -DraconuS- Guest

    Hi
    I used to have Win98SE running well for years but recently moved to
    WinXP SP1.
    It was very disappointing to me, that all devices but the SB Live! were
    properly installed. Here starts the problem.
    I cannot install Creative drivers - they say: Setup couldn't detect any
    SB Audio card on your system... :(
    Whatever I do they say always the same. WinXP always detect SB Live
    Value (I have Player 1024 model) that is not working even that all audio
    devices seems to be properly installed.
    I tried many:
    - bios settings (PnP OS Installed, Reset Config. Data, reserving IRQs
    for Legacy devices, reserving IRQ for the proper PCI slot)
    - installing Via Hyperion 4in1 (4.49)
    - moving from ACPI running PC (most devices on IRQ#9) to Standard PC and
    then chaning IRQs for SB (5,9,10)
    Any suggestions?
    - moving card to another slot (from 3 to 1,2,4,5)

    System specs:
    WinXP SP1
    Asus A7V133 - BIOS 1010b beta
    AMD Athlon XP TBred-B 2200+ @2GHz (20x100)
    Hynix 512MB CL3 SDR SDRAM @133MHz
    Creative SoundBlaster Live! Player 1024 PCI (CT4830) [in slot #3 now]
    Gainward GF3Ti200 AGPx4 64MB @220/500MHz

    -DraconuS-, Oct 28, 2003

  2. -DraconuS-

    RobL Guest

    RobL, Oct 28, 2003

  3. -DraconuS-

    John Guest

    Is the sblive detected when you bootup before installing the drive?

    Ive actually got this board still too - a pre1.05. version with
    Sblive. Its had some wackiness interittently where it couldnt detect
    sound cards - an Aztech 338 and a sblive at various time that caused
    me to buy another card but strangely after awhile it worked and its
    been fairly stable the last year or so. Also obviously - did you get
    the latest creative downloads for the card? The whole set is massive.

    Windows I think actually has some sblive drivers XP versions so even
    if I dont update it with the newest downloads from creative it still
    installs it.

    John, Oct 28, 2003
  4. -DraconuS-

    -DraconuS- Guest

    Hi

    As I wrote before: WinXP always detect my card as 'SB Live
    Value (wdm)' (although I have Player 1024 model) that is not working even
    that all audio
    devices seems to be properly installed.
    I have no idea what causes the problem... My mobo A7V133 is rev.1.05 (no
    dot)
    Yeah, but as I wrote before - these drivers says that they cannot detect any
    SB Audio card on my system - so no go.
    Sure, it detect and install the card, but it does not work nor play at all.
    Ie. checkbox for on/off sound in tray icon sound volume slider is flickering
    (funny, eh? ;)

    -DraconuS-, Oct 28, 2003
  5. -DraconuS-

    -DraconuS- Guest

    Hi
    Thanks, I was there, and I will try them also. For now I tested a little older version and it cannot detect my card thus
    not installing any drivers. But it should work with the wdm windows xp drivers anyway.
    I can't belive that I am alone with this problem.

    -DraconuS-, Oct 28, 2003
  6. -DraconuS-

    Rob Guest

    If my memory serves me correctly (sometimes it does), I had one heck of
    a time getting my SB Live to work when I migrated to XP. I believe the
    problem is not hardware related. Weird to get fixed tho! Make sure any
    onboard audio selections are turned off in the BIOS. Next I had to
    uninstall all SB software, then remove any sound drivers in the Device
    Manager. Shutdown the PC and remove the SB card. Restart to clean
    things out and shutdown once again. Reinstall the SB card and startup
    in Safe Mode, then install the SB software. It will ask for a reboot
    and then it should work. I always stayed away from the Microsoft
    Updates for Creative SB. Lots of issues with them. Best to have the
    newest software from Creative available if at all possible.

    Rob, Oct 28, 2003
  7. -DraconuS-

    -DraconuS- Guest

    Hi Rob,
    Thx for your post, it looks like The Great Idea to me, so I'll surely check it
    out.
    My idea is to install new system w/o card installed, so nothing to clean up
    later :)

    -DraconuS-, Oct 29, 2003
  8. -DraconuS-

    Sternn Guest

    I had the same problem and solved it by moving my SB Live from slot to
    slot until Windows detected it at startup.

    Sternn, Dec 3, 2004