A7V133 won't run Athlon XP 1900+ at 1.6Ghz

Discussion in 'Asus' started by ohaya, Mar 20, 2006.

  1. ohaya

    ohaya Guest

    Hi,

    Now that I got an old A7V133 mobo to boot with an Athlon XP 1900+ CPU,
    the V1010B BIOS is detecting and displaying "Athlon XP 1900+", but in
    the BIOS, it is showing as 1200 MHz (12 x 100 Mhz). I can set it to 12 x
    133, which I think is correct for a 1900+, but when I reboot, it
    automatically goes into BIOS with red letters on the left saying that it
    had a problem, and sets the FSB back to 100.

    The silkscreening on the mobo says "Rev. 1.05" (without a trailing dot
    (".")), and I have 3 sticks of PC133 SDRAM right now.

    Can anyone explain why I can't get the XP 1900+ to run at the spec'ed
    speed of 1.6GHz?

    Is it because the mobo rev. is "1.05" (without trailing dot), rather
    than "1.05." (with trailing dot)?

    Thanks in advance,
    Jim

    ohaya, Mar 20, 2006

  2. ohaya

    Egil Solberg Guest

    Very possibly indeed.
    Running with 3 sticks of ram at 133MHz can be taxing as well. Try running
    with only one stick to see if problem could be memory related. If it works
    with only 1 stick, it's time to fiddle with memory settings. CAS3 will be a
    starter. Fiddling with "DRAM read latch delay" will be the last
    troubleshooting event.

    Egil Solberg, Mar 20, 2006

  3. ohaya

    ohaya Guest

    Hi Egil,

    For the record, per a suggestion on another msg board, I went into BIOS
    and set FSB and DRAM Speed to 134 (multiplier 12), and it is now working
    at ~1614Mhz, and not defaulting back to 100MHz FSB. This is a Rev. 1.05
    (withOUT the ".") mobo.

    CPU part# is "AX1900DMT3C" (Athlon XP 1900+, Palomino (Model 6), as
    shown here:

    http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K7/AMD-Athlon XP 1900+ - AX1900DMT3C.html

    So, maybe, as some posts I found indicated, it's the "luck of the draw"
    whether the Athlon XPs will run at 133 on this mobo, or maybe changing
    the FSB to 134 (instead of 133) did the trick. I'm not sure, but I'm
    just happy that it's running at spec speed now :)!!

    Thanks,
    Jim

    ohaya, Mar 21, 2006
  4. ohaya

    ohaya Guest

    Hi,

    Correction to my earlier post. It seems to run at 12 x 133 UNTIL I
    power the machine off. Then, if I power it back on again, it SOMETIMES
    will reset itself to 12 x 100.

    Using the jumpers to set the FSB didn't help either, and I got similar
    behavior.

    Jim

    ohaya, Mar 21, 2006
  5. ohaya

    Tom Joyce Guest

    Are you taking multiplier remapping into account? My old 1.05 used to run
    a Tbred 2100 at 2266MHz, 1.80v with the multiplier set manually to 9x
    which was remapped by the chipset to 17x. Using the BIOS auto settings
    this chip ran at 20x100 with default voltage.

    The 1900 uses a different bridge configuration (C--O--C--C--C for the 1900
    and C--C--O--C--O for the 2100) so the remaps will be different. You could
    experiment with manual settings from 5x but keep in mind that the BIOS
    will not always report the correct CPU speed; if the configuration boots
    let it start Windows and check the result with CPU-Z or CPUID etc.

    There is probably more information on this at

    http://www.a7vtroubleshooting.com/forum/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=discuss

    Regards,
    Tom

    Tom Joyce, Mar 26, 2006
  6. ohaya

    ohaya Guest

    Tom,

    I got this working, but I don't remember if I posted the final
    resolution here. I was actually able to get the 1600 MHz setting to
    stick, but what I found was that if I powered down the machine while it
    was doing the memory test at the beginning, I'd get the "red letter
    warning" the next time I powered up. If I let the BIOS memory test
    finish, the 1600 setting held ok.

    The reason I kept powering the machine down was that I had the mobo
    outside a case and had no reset button connected, so I was just powering
    off to reset the board. That's probably why I ran across the "losing
    1600 setting" problem.

    Thanks,
    Jim

    ohaya, Mar 26, 2006