A7V333 improper cpu setting & shutdown/restart problems

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Jared, Jan 3, 2004.

  1. Jared

    Jared Guest

    Here is a rundown of my problem. Several months ago my computer would
    ocassionally power off or reboot, and when restarting it would say it
    found a hardware error and take me into the hardware monitor in the
    BIOS and it would show the CPU has being overheated. When it would
    just shutdown, i would try to restart the computer...I would get a
    short burst of the HD and then powerdown again. I would have to wait
    10-30 minutes before the computer would boot up again (taking me into
    the BIOS saying the computer had hung due to an improper cpu
    speed...).
    Then started using Asus probe to monitor the problem...and I found
    that my cpu fan was crapping out on me and that was causing my cpu to
    overheat. I would use my computer until the fan would drop to very
    low rpms and cause the cpu to overheat. I may only be able to use my
    computer for 30 minutes or up to 2 hours...until i would have to
    manually shut down the computer.

    Well, just recently I replaced the heatsink/fan. I monitored the
    temperature and it was around 50-55C...and staying steady. But now I
    still have problems with the computer just shutting down...but the
    temperatures are still in acceptable ranges. I have however noticed
    that the rpm's of my power supply fan have ocassionally slightly
    dropping below the acceptable range (but this is probably
    coincidental...since it only just started now).

    I've searched the newsgroup for some guidance but haven't found much.
    I've seen others with similar problems but nothing to really explain
    or help fix the problem. I've seen someone talk about possible
    jp1/jp2 jumper settings for the RAM voltage.

    If anyone has any idea what the problem could be, or how to help
    troubleshoot this, i would be grateful!

    Jared

    here is the components of my computer:
    Asus A7V333
    AMD Athlon XP 2200+
    1GB PC2700 RAM (2 512MB)
    2 80GB Wester Digital Special Edition 8MB cache HD's
    LeadTek GeForce4 Ti4600 128MB video card
    Soundblaster audigy platinum
    DVD-ROM
    Pioneer DVR-A04 DVD burner

    Jared, Jan 3, 2004

  2. Jared

    Hippy Paul Guest

    not really got a clue, but you do not state what your case temperatures are,
    or if the cpu temperature is diode or socket (a7v333 reads both) it may
    still be heat related, especially if you have no extractor case fans. The
    temperature does seem very high (even for diode readings) but it depends
    where in the world you are and what your ambient temperatures are you do not
    state if it still will not restart after it shuts down - if so it would
    suggest the problem is heat again. Have you checked the heatsink is on
    correctly and that you are using some sort of heat transfer compound

    then again it may be power related.

    Not sure if j1 & j2 would have much effect but could try setting them away
    from the default setting which is jp1 - the 2 pins furthest from cpu and
    jp2 - the 2 pins nearest the cpu. This gives the default voltage for the
    board of 2.78 - 2.85v - which is overvolted compared to most systems. The
    opposite of this layout is 2.88-2.96v which is too high. Both jumpers on
    the 2 pins furthest from the cpu is a normal non overvolted range for a
    computer and the 2 pins nearest the cpu is stupidly high (over 3v) and will
    not do the ram any good at all.

    I have an overclocked cpu (by 600mhz) in my a7v333 and if the power goes off
    suddenly (eg I have not fed the electric meter) the machine complains about
    the overclocked cpu and takes me into the bios (and I just exit the bios and
    the system boots) otherwise it is fine.

    Hippy Paul, Jan 4, 2004

  3. Jared

    David Keith Guest

    Jared

    Unless your computer is in a 100 degree garage then your running hot if
    those temps are at idle with nothing running but Windows. When you replaced
    the HSF did you use thermal grease,or did the unit come with a thermal pad?
    There is a piece of tape covering those thermal pads.

    I just built a new comp for my daughter using a A7V266-E and XP2000. I cool
    the thing with a Zalman 6000 HS and fan. At idle the highest temp I saw was
    44-45C. This is at idle with the sides of the case on. If I adjusted the
    speed down into the 1300-1400 range the temps would creep into the 47-48C
    range.

    Try running the comp for a couple of hours with the side off and a fan
    blowing directly over the heatsink. With no shutdown or reboot you've got a
    heating problem. If your HSF is running below the acceptable range then its
    down in the 1300 RPM range,thats pretty slow unless you have a huge fan.
    Also,is your power supply new or in good shape? Those can also overheat and
    cause shutdowns or reboots.

    David

    David Keith, Jan 4, 2004
  4. Jared

    Jared Guest

    I'd say the ambient temperature for the room is around 75F(24C), give
    or take a few degrees. Yes, when I replaced the HSF it came with a
    silicon compound that I used.
    I took a floor fan and put it next to the open case and had the comp
    running at idle. The cpu temp was getting up to 136F (58C) and the MB
    temp was pushing 90F (32C). I'd say after 20 minutes the comp shut
    down. Earlier today, (with no floor fan next to case)...it went at
    about same temperatures but was on for about an hour until shutdown.
    And last evening...the computer was on for about 6 hours with no
    shutdown (getting up to the same temperatures). However, after 6
    hours I attempted to manually restart the computer...and when doing
    so, it took me right into the BIOS saying the "improper cpu speed"
    message. Today, on both ocassions, when the computer shutdown, and
    finally able to startup 15-30 minutes later...it didn't go into the
    BIOS giving me that message.

    Well, the power supply was new when i got the computer new 1 1/2 years
    ago. Not sure on the shape of the PSU though. I have noticed that in
    the past couple of weeks, the rpms of the PSU fan has been dropping to
    around 1500-1600 when I think it normally runs at about 2200-2400.

    Jared

    Jared, Jan 6, 2004
  5. Jared

    Jared Guest

    I have no idea if the temp is diode or socket. Not sure what that is.
    And in addition to the cpu fan, i have 3 case fans. One in the front,
    and 2 in the back.
    Yeah, i used a silicon compound when replacing the HSF and as far as I
    know its on correctly.

    Well, i might try changing the jumpers to a normal non-overvolted
    range and see if that does anything. would setting of these jumpers
    have any affect on the temp of the MB? Because at this point i'm
    still thinking its a heating and/or PSU problem.

    Jared

    Jared, Jan 6, 2004