    front panel does. Is it just one or the other? I want to leave my desktop
    speakers connected in the back but be able to use my headphones in the front
    panel when I want. Is this doable?

    mkirby23, Feb 13, 2004

  2. mkirby23

    Canus_Lupus Guest

    No.

    Canus_Lupus, Feb 13, 2004

  3. mkirby23

    Paul Guest

    The documentation for the WaveMaster on the Coolermaster website
    says the Mic and Ear jacks (CN7 and CN6) are connected by means of
    four wires. It is hard to read the diagram, but basically the end
    with the four wires would be Ear_Left, Ear_Right, GND, and Mic_In.
    For the Ear jack to be able to give you a muting function, the
    Ear jack has to have Left_Return and Right_Return signals.

    So, unless the WaveMaster has been improved recently, to use an
    Intel-compatible FPAUDIO 2x5 or equivalent connector, then
    chances are it isn't going to work.

    According to the WaveMaster installation document, the two jacks
    used on the front connector assembly are the five pin interrupting
    type jacks. Thus, the jack is the correct type to build your own
    return signals. The problem is, jack CN6 (the Ear jack) has pins
    2-3 shorted together and 4-5 shorted together. Those connections
    would have to be broken, and you end up with four signals instead
    of two, to connect to the motherboard header. Two signals would be
    the Left_Out and Right_Out coming from the motherboard audio chip
    and the other two signals would be the Left_Return and Right_Return.
    It would be a lot of messy work to get it wired up.

    Another solution is the Asus J-Panel, but I don't know if this
    is being sold anymore. It has two USB connectors, 1 SPDIF (out?),
    Mic and Ear jacks of the right type to mate with a 2x5 header.
    It sits in a drive bay.

    http://ec1.macrotron.de/PDF/B99Z429.pdf

    I had trouble finding a source at retail - this is the
    first one I could find:

    http://web6.scan.co.uk/Products/Info.asp?WPID=51437

    HTH,
    Paul