    Does anyone know if I'm correct? Is thier any documentation on these
    jumpers and where?

    Thanks everyone!

    Stringfelowhaulkie, Jun 25, 2004

  2. Stringfelowhaulkie

    jroc Guest

    I'm not sure about the 3.3v for the AGP Slot but here is some documentation I
    have for JP1 and JP2

    Just above the AGP slot you will see 2 jumpers (J1 and J2). These are the
    settings for the J1 and J2, with them it is possible to adjust the DIMM/Ram
    Voltage.

    JP1 [1-2]-JP2[1-2]=2.59-2.63V
    JP1[2-3]-JP2[1-2]=2.88-2.94V
    JP1[1-2]-JP2[2-3]=2.78-2.83V
    JP1[2-3]-JP2[2-3]=2.95-3.06V
    "De Oppresso Liber"
    From Oppression Liberate

    jroc® 7th Special Forces Ft.Bragg N.C 18/Bravo
    ****only thing easy in life is failure****
    *******so get tough*******

    jroc, Jun 25, 2004

  3. Stringfelowhaulkie

    jroc Guest

    actually they were undocumented..but here is the site I got the info from on the
    A7V333...the same MB I use

    www.pcmodshop.com/infoguides/ techy/a7m333/a7m333tips_page.htm

    "De Oppresso Liber"
    From Oppression Liberate

    jroc, Jun 26, 2004
  4. Stringfelowhaulkie

    Paul Guest

    The voltage is determined automatically. If the motherboard only had
    3.3V I/O, for example, it would have a 3.3V plastic key in the AGP
    slot, and only a universal or a 3.3V only card could fit in the slot.
    If the motherboard slot is universal, having neither the 1.5 or 3.3V
    key, then the motherboard can operate at 1.5V or 3.3V (that is what is
    show in the manual - the picture of your motherboard shows a universal
    slot). In a situation where the video card is universal (has two slots
    cut in it) and also the motherboard is universal (has no plastic keys),
    pin A2 (TYPEDET#) is sent by the video card, to the motherboard,
    indicating the card prefers 1.5V. It does this by grounding the pin A2.

    I believe your new video card will request 1.5V from the motherboard.
    Looking at this ATI webpage, your hardware will be either case F or
    case I at the bottom of this page:

    http://mirror.ati.com/support/faq/agpchart.html

    As for the third voltage level, 0.8V, there is no such supply pin. To
    make 0.8V I/O, the drivers are still running from 1.5V. The bus has a
    parallel termination on it, and by voltage divider action between the
    source resistance and the termination resistor, a half amplitude signal
    results. One half of 1.5V is roughly 0.8V.

    (Pg. 65 shows 1.5V drivers making 0.8V signals)
    http://developer.intel.com/technology/agp/downloads/agp30_final_10.pdf

    Just plug it in and let the designers worry about it.

    There were video cards you had to be careful with, because they
    weren't keyed properly. These are termed "illegal" video cards, and
    they would be several years old. Most modern Asus motherboards have
    an "AGP_warn" circuit, that detects the illegal video cards, and
    prevents the motherboard from powering up, if it finds one. So,
    again, illegal video card plus modern motherboard, is covered by
    design.

    The only really bad combination left, is some of the first 1.5V
    only Northbridge chips were placed on motherboards without the
    "AGP_Warn" circuit. A number of these motherboards were destroyed,
    until people figured out that there was such a thing as an "illegal"
    video card. For example, the motherboard I bought, the P4B (which takes
    a P4 processor and SDRAM), was suspectable to damage by illegal
    video cards, up until revision 1.05 of the motherboard. When I bought
    my board, I was very careful to verify I was getting a 1.05
    motherboard, with one of the first "AGP_warn" implementations on
    it.

    With the more modern hardware you own, just plug it in and
    enjoy it :)

    Paul

    Paul, Jun 26, 2004