    There is no mention of a USB 2.0 device which has got me wondering. Are
    there any utilities that can also check for presence of a USB 2.0 controller
    or that it is working?

    Jbob, Jun 28, 2003

  2. Jbob

    Ed Guest

    One way you can tell is by plugging in a USB 2 device into the ports.
    WinXP will pop up a dialog saying, Fast device is plugged into a slow
    controller when you plug a USB v2.0 device into a USB port/mobo that
    only supports USB v1.1. It will still work, just not as fast.

    Ed

    Ed, Jun 28, 2003

  3. Jbob

    ice Guest

    This is a can of worms and unfortunately not that simple. Windoze isn't too
    bright at handling usb2.0 but its supposed to get better in next sp.

    I had the same problem when I fitted an USB 2.0 external powered hub to an
    internal USB 2.0 hub. It said the external hub was fitted to a usb1
    connection (it wasn't). After extensive web searching I found a magazine
    article in usa that said this was a known problem with xp and that the error
    message was a Microsoft misleading message and that the device would
    actually run at USB 2.0 speeds and to ignore it. Its a fault with usb2.0
    driver apparently. if anyone else knows more I would be very interested.

    for details
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?R21A13064

    cheers

    ice