A7V333 Problems, USB2 is not recognise by XP SP1

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Roswellbob, Sep 6, 2006.

  1. Roswellbob

    Roswellbob Guest

    Roswellbob, Sep 6, 2006

  2. Roswellbob

    Roswellbob Guest

    Pour occuper son temps libre "Roswellbob"
    nous a gentiment octroyé la missive :
    et y developpa le theme de :
    Ok, precisions: there are 2 USB1.1 controller onboard, these one work fine
    as lowspeed, two more USB controllers are present onboard two ports on the
    back ( upside sound connectors) and two more ports with the port's game
    bracket, those 4 ports must be 2.0 USB, but when i connect my USB 2.0 Key,
    Windows says, Unknow Periferic ????
    Could you help me ?
    Sorry for bad English, i'm from France

    --
    Roswellbob

    http://perso.wanadoo.fr/gastounet/
    http://perso.wanadoo.fr/gastounet/Sylvestre/
    http://perso.wanadoo.fr/gastounet/Arsouille/

    Roswellbob, Sep 6, 2006

  3. Roswellbob

    DRS Guest

    Install SP2.

    DRS, Sep 6, 2006
  4. Roswellbob

    Paul Guest

    A7V333 has some USB ports supported by 8233A Southbridge and
    some by the VT6202 USB2 chip. The 8233A Southbridge ports are
    USB 1.1 . Consult the picture in your user manual, to see
    which connectors on the back of the computer, and which
    2x5 USB header connectors, are USB 1.1 or USB 2.0.

    In the Device Manager, there should be one USB entry with
    the word "Enhanced" in it. That is how you can tell whether
    a USB2 driver has been loaded for the VT6202. Only the
    connectors labelled "USB2" in the manual are connected
    to the VT6202.

    http://www.usbman.com/Guides/checking_for_usb_2.htm

    Paul

    Paul, Sep 6, 2006
  5. Roswellbob

    Roswellbob Guest

    Pour occuper son temps libre "Paul"
    nous a gentiment octroyé la missive :
    et y developpa le theme de :

    Thanks for reply
    Ok, i've check this before reading your reply
    I've install USB2.0 Via drivers, the USB Enhanced Controller appears in the
    hardware, but the four USB Ports recognise not the Key.......

    Roswellbob, Sep 6, 2006
  6. Roswellbob

    Roswellbob Guest

    Pour occuper son temps libre "Paul"
    nous a gentiment octroyé la missive :
    et y developpa le theme de :

    See there :
    http://james.sawyer.ford.free.fr/USB2.JPG

    Roswellbob, Sep 6, 2006
  7. Roswellbob

    Roswellbob Guest

    Roswellbob, Sep 6, 2006
  8. Roswellbob

    Paul Guest

    In the fourth message in this thread, they list the Device
    Manager entries for A7V333 USB and they seem to match
    what you show in your picture. So that isn't the problem.

    http://groups.google.ca/group/alt.c..._frm/thread/55c39f6ff048b554/c87b30a52414d342

    "In Device Manager you should see 4 "VIA Rev 5 or Later USB Universal
    Host Controller", 1 "VIA USB Enanced Host Controller" and 5 "USB Root
    Hub". The "Enhanced" Conroller and one of the Root Hubs are the USB 2.x
    things, are you missing them? "

    So at least the Device Manager appears correct.

    I notice that the USB2 entries in Device Manager are in
    English and the other entries are in French. This tells
    me you probably installed the VIA 2.2.5 USB driver (one
    version of that driver is not multilingual, so English
    is used).

    My advice in general, is to use the USB driver that comes
    as part of Service Pack 1 for WinXP. You can create problems
    for yourself, by using earlier Microsoft patches, or by using
    third party drivers. USB devices are designed according
    to standards, so that the Microsoft generic driver can make
    them work. Installing a third party driver complicates matters,
    and there is no way to know whether the OS will end up using the
    correct files.

    Things you can try:

    1) Unplug all unnecessary USB devices. Remove the VIA USB driver.
    (In this case, I am assuming there is an entry in Add/Remove
    in Control Panels.) Then use the USB cleanup procedure, to
    get Windows to reinstall the Device Manager entries. After
    carrying out the procedure, reboot. Then, plug the USB2 device
    you were testing into the computer.

    http://www.usbman.com/Guides/Cleanup Device Manager Safe Mode.htm

    OR

    2) Try a repair install of WinXP. After the repair install is
    finished and the machine has rebooted, plug in your USB2 device
    and test it again. You have to install Service Pack 1 and
    any security patches, after the repair install is done.
    Your user data and programs will not be affected. (If you
    upgraded Internet Explorer, you have to do that over again
    as well.)

    OR

    3) Disconnect all hard drives. Label everything so you can put
    it all back the same way later. Unplug all unnecessary USB
    devices. Find an empty hard drive. Install WinXP on the
    empty hard drive. Install WInXP SP1 service pack on that
    hard drive. After the reboot, plug in your USB 2.0 device
    and test it. The purpose of this test, is to demonstrate
    that there is nothing wrong with the hardware. If procedure
    (3) works, it means some driver or patch you installed in
    an attempt to get it working on your real boot drive, has
    screwed up the USB subsystem. If procedure (3) works, then
    applying procedure (2) to the original boot disk should
    work.

    I would test by using the USB2 connector in the I/O area
    on the back of the computer. That should be the best
    connector. If you have done that, all the rest of your
    problems are likely being caused by the use of a driver
    or patch, when all you really needed was Service Pack 1
    or later for WinXP.

    If you wish to save time, another solution is to use a
    PCI USB2 add-in card. The card should NOT have a VIA
    USB chip on it. Find a USB2 card with a NEC chip. They are
    the best in terms of compatibility. The NEC chip will use
    the Microsoft generic driver, as provided in Service Pack 1.
    Since the VIA driver will not be used by the NEC chip,
    it should not get confused by whatever drivers you have
    already installed on the system. Then, plug all the
    devices you have trouble with, into that PCI add-in card.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Sep 7, 2006
  9. Roswellbob

    Roswellbob Guest

    Pour occuper son temps libre "Paul"
    nous a gentiment octroyé la missive :
    et y developpa le theme de :

    Thanks for reply
    http://groups.google.ca/group/alt.c..._frm/thread/55c39f6ff048b554/c87b30a52414d342

    i'll read those threads this afternoon

    yesterday i tried several solutions :

    1) as you said, i ve unplugged HHD and did a fresh XP+SP1 on a blank one :
    no match with XP drivers...
    2) Upgrade to XP SP2 : no match
    3) try the drivers sold with the Mobo on Asus Install CD : no match
    4) UpGrade Drivers with last version found on Via Website : no match....

    I bought this mobo "used", may be the USB2 controlers was defectuous

    Think, it's what i"ll do...
    Specials thanks for you to spend this time for reply to me :)
    Have a good day

    Roswellbob, Sep 7, 2006
  10. Roswellbob

    Roswellbob Guest

    Pour occuper son temps libre "Roswellbob"
    nous a gentiment octroyé la missive :
    et y developpa le theme de :

    Nothing work :-(
    when "enhanced USB2" is not installled, XP detect the Key ( or USB1
    Joystick) when i plugg it, but say "Unknow peripheric" and when Enhanced is
    installed, XP detect nothing plugged.....
    This is exactly the same as RamBytes describe in the thread you suggest me,
    i would try to contact him to know if he had an issue
    Thanks for all

    Roswellbob, Sep 7, 2006
  11. Roswellbob

    Paul Guest

    While there are driver packages around, I still think the
    Microsoft Service Pack is the best approach. The VIA
    packages I've got here, seem to include OrangeWare drivers
    for Win98/ME, but for Win2K/WinXP, they seem to refer to
    the Microsoft stack. I don't know if there is a VIA
    specific portion used just for the VT6202.

    For example, PCI USB cards with the VT6202 have been manufactured.
    This Syba link is their driver package for their VT6202 based PCI
    card. There is no driver in here for WinXP.

    http://www.syba.com/support_download/download/73-0101-1.html

    Maybe picking up a PCI USB card with a NEC USB2 chip on it
    is the quickest solution.

    There are plenty of posts about A7V333 and VT6202 not
    working right. I doubt that your chip is damaged -- this
    is a more common problem than that.

    http://groups.google.ca/groups?lnk=hpsg&q=a7v333+usb2

    Paul

    Paul, Sep 7, 2006