A7V800 wont start with AMD XP2500+

Discussion in 'Asus' started by René, Nov 30, 2003.

  1. René

    René Guest

    Hi,

    I just bought 3 identical systems (for my father, brother and me). They all
    look like this:
    - ATX midi-tower with 350 W powersupply
    - ASUS A7V600 mobo
    - AMD Athlon XP2500+ cpu
    - 512 MB DDR400
    - ASUS V9520 videocard
    - HD, DVD, and floppy-drive

    When I had build up the first system and pushed the power-button, it came to
    live and immediately shut down within 2 seconds. No beeps, no screen.
    Checked everything around, nothing found.
    So I build up the other 2 systems. Guess what? All 3 systems have the same
    problem!
    Checked all jumpers again: all on "default". And no junpers that do somthing
    with CPU-settings.
    Then I started troubleshooting by detaching as much components as possible.
    The system-power only stayed on, when the CPU was removed. Conclusion: the
    combination mobo/CPU doesn't work. But AMD recommends the A7V600 for this
    CPU. So what did I do wrong? This is my first computer that I build up.

    Then I replaced one of the CPU's with an old AMD Athlon 800. Then the system
    started normal!
    Any suggestions how I get the Athlon XP 2500+ to work on this mobo? I don't
    belief in 3 defective CPU's;-)

    Thanx for your help.

    René

    René, Nov 30, 2003

  2. René

    René Guest

    Sorry: Subject must be "A7V600 wont start...."

    René, Nov 30, 2003

  3. René

    Pief Guest

    What kinda heatsink you using......?

    Pief, Nov 30, 2003
  4. René

    René Guest

    I bought the cpu as "box", so it's that standard big heatsink+cooler.
    But believe me: the cpu doesn't even get the chance to get warm!

    René, Nov 30, 2003
  5. I've built a number of systems with Athlon XP 2400, 2500, 2800, etc.
    They are super sensitive to the attachment of the heat sink. Twice I
    had the same trouble you described. In each case, I removed the heat
    sink and found that the thermal patch had not made very good contact
    with the processor. I thoroughly removed the patch and its remnants
    from the processor and the heat sink, and applied a coat of white
    thermal grease. After putting the whole thing back together, both of
    them ran like a champ.

    Something about pushing the heat sink onto the processor does NOT
    guarantee that the thermal patch material will spread out and cover like
    it should. Whenever I build a system now, I remove the factory applied
    thermal patch from the heat sink and assemble the whole thing with
    thermal grease.

    Hope this helps.

    David P. Greer, Nov 30, 2003
  6. René

    badraptor Guest

    hummmmmmmmm

    badraptor, Nov 30, 2003
  7. René

    Pief Guest

    oh, as long as theyre attached. I had the same experience when I built my
    rig a while ago without a heatsink -heatcop kicks in immediately (just as
    well) You can run with fan off -for a while.

    Pief, Nov 30, 2003
  8. René

    RonK Guest

    Make sure the cpu fan is connected to the proper plug on the mobo. If the
    fan rpm is not detected the computer will shut down after 2 seconds.

    RonK, Dec 1, 2003
  9. René

    René Guest

    I just gave it a try with the cooler from the Athlon800: same result,
    shutdown within 2 seconds.
    It looks like C.O.P. is overreacting! But why does the Athlon800 run
    smoothly, while the XP2500 gives this bad result?
    What makes the XP act different from the Athlon800?
    And can I do something about the C.O.P. on the mobo? There's nothing to find
    about that in the manual.

    René

    René, Dec 1, 2003
  10. René

    Pief Guest

    Im a bit stumped then René. Using the athlon 800 can you try manual
    settings in the bios and then, power off, switch cpu, power on..
    Try getting the xp2500 started using 333fsb or 266fsb and the 400 memory at
    333, and vcore at 1.65, multiplier at 10. This is slightly slower than it
    should go but it could be a start. Id be hopeful of getting it to run at
    400fsb/mem x10 multiplier for xp2900~ performance -eventualy.

    Asus's manual bios options provide a lot of freedom to run at different
    speeds -once you get going.

    Bios is up to 1006 so it might be worth a flash too,
    http://www.asus.com/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=A7V600

    gl,
    pief

    Pief, Dec 1, 2003
  11. René

    Wazza Guest

    Try clearing your cmos first and do it properly. Commonsense dictates that
    if it works at 66 MHz FSB then it is going to have a problem with 333 MHz
    FSB chippies.

    Wazza, Dec 2, 2003
  12. René

    René Guest

    Already cleared the CMOS. Problem stays the same.
    I don't get your common sense.... My problem?

    René

    René, Dec 2, 2003
  13. René

    René Guest

    Thanks voor your suggestions. I will try this with the Athlon 800 later
    (don't have much time these days).
    But I don't like the idea that I need an older CPU to get the new one
    running. And when I flash the BIOS I can start all over again?

    René

    René, Dec 2, 2003
  14. René

    Wazza Guest

    I threw an A7V600 together with an XP2500 CPU and DDR400 Kingston ram and a
    GeForce5200 AGP card and used the on board sound.
    On first boot I enter Bios setup and set the time etc etc and move on to FSB
    speed etc. The 2500 is set at 166 FSB (166x2=333) and a multiplier of x11
    and so on till I save and Exit.
    The next boot is a full boot and I lay a copy of XP Pro.on the HDD.
    I do not attempt anything more than standard settings at this point because
    I need to know if I have just built a good, working computer. I will fiddle
    with the settings later when I am happy with my new computer.
    I think your older CPU has a FSB of 100MHz and it just seems to me that if
    it boots ok on this then those bios settings are wrong for your Barton.

    Wazza, Dec 3, 2003
  15. René

    Mike Gorman Guest

    Check the specs on the PSU and make sure there is enough power on the proper
    rails to power you up. It's possible that you are limited to 2 banks of
    PC3200 and over. Check the product page and manual. If you have more than
    one stick of memory, take one out.

    Good Luck

    Mike Gorman, Dec 3, 2003
  16. René

    Pief Guest

    Self build is so much more involved than just plugging everything together
    ;] It maybe goes smooth with automatic configuration for 30% of builds but
    it seems there are usualy hiccups to fix. Once you get it booting, then
    there is more reading manuals and/or asking/googling advice for decent bios
    settings and then the whole thing needs its stability checked starting with
    http://www.memtest86.com.
    It is pretty involved, busy guys who dont need a new hobby -beware.

    Small grace is that when you do get it going, youll have pretty much one of
    the fastest socket A systems thats ever likely to be made which youd be
    unlikely to get sold premade unless its in premium system.
    -Seems you bought pretty good components.
    Its not usualy like that, Ive flashed the a7v600's predecessor a7v8x-x a
    few times and it keeps the bios settings, the update is for the code only
    (not like a total reset). Updating bios while running the athlon 800 might
    be the best thing to do first. -funny thing though, a7v600 isnt ~supposed
    to support cpus under 1 Ghz :/
    Good luck,
    pief

    Pief, Dec 4, 2003
  17. René

    René Guest

    Most of the answers I got were referring to the heatsink/cooler. And they
    were right.
    The final solution was simple: turn the heatsink/cooler 180 degrees. It's
    asymmetric, but it fits in both ways.
    It's pretty amazing that this is possible
    And yes, there is some little notice in the installationsguide ("notice that
    the clip is not symetrical, it should be right above the die").
    So again: RTFM! I did, but not good enough;-(
    Hope this might help others when they have the same problems.

    Good luck.
    René

    René, Dec 7, 2003