    controler. Will that work with out having to rebuild the raid set?

    Scotty

    PS HELP!!!!!!!

    Fordolet, Mar 8, 2006

  2. Fordolet

    Paul Guest

    Well, the problem is, you don't know if the drive is actually
    healthy or not. It could be a bad cable, a bad connection to
    the drive, the "reserved sector" is corrupted, the declared
    size of the drive is wrong, and as it is a Maxtor, perhaps the
    defect table overflowed and killed the drive.

    If this is your only computer, there is no way to test the
    drive. I don't know if any diagnostic will run when a drive
    is connected to the SIL3112. The manufacturer test programs
    tend to work best when the drive is connected to a Southbridge
    port.

    I hesitate to make any suggestions with regard to RAID arrays,
    because most people do not have backups, and there is no
    recourse if my suggestion doesn't work out. Strictly
    speaking, breaking the array, and remaking the array,
    should fix it. But, the trick is, you have to know
    which drive has a good copy of the data on it, in order
    to know which of the two drives should be used to rebuild
    the other. Just because the status of a drive is bad,
    doesn't necessarily mean the data on it is gone, and to me,
    that is what makes diagnosis of RAIDs so difficult.

    If you feel that a later SATA RAID BIOS will help, you can
    always upgrade the BIOS. The SATA RAID BIOS is part of the
    main BIOS. The Asus BIOS file is modular inside, and the BIOS
    is actually a tiny file system. You might find 8 or more
    separate files inside it. One of the files might be "4250.bin",
    which would be the 4.2.50 SATA RAID BIOS, for example. With
    the Award BIOS, you can actually use a hex editor, and find
    the names of the modules within the BIOS file. (Using an
    Asus flashing program, to make a backup copy of the current
    BIOS, would allow you to determine what modules are inside
    there.) Of course, the RAID BIOS screen probably tells you
    the release number of the RAID BIOS as well. For AMI BIOS,
    there are tools on the web, like MMTOOL.exe , and tools like
    that can be used to extract individual modules from a BIOS
    file.

    In any case, you don't need to do any of that, and just
    upgrade your BIOS to the latest, from the Asus download
    page. I don't think it is going to make any difference
    to the information on the drives. Maybe the RAID BIOS
    will stop complaining about an incomplete set, but just
    maybe there is something physically wrong with one of
    the drives.

    I would try and find another computer with SATA interfaces
    on it, that you could take your two drives and check
    that they are accessable. Maybe you could make a backup
    copy of one of the two disks, if you can get at the data.
    With a good backup in your possession, then you could
    start from scratch, and restore to the array. If it
    was my data, the very first thing I would want to do,
    is make a backup, before trying anything risky. (Think
    for a moment - if you flash the BIOS and kill the
    motherboard, you might not have another SATA interface
    to get at the data. So think about doing the backup
    first, and finding some media to put the files on.)

    As has been mentioned in this newgroups in times past,
    a RAID is not a replacement for a backup. You should
    plan on having twice as many disks, as you really need,
    so that you can make a backup of your valuable information
    whenever you need it. Disks are relatively cheap, and
    the sweet spot of about 200-250GB or so, means you could
    pick up one drive and use it to back up a few of your
    smaller drives. It is a fairly cheap form of "peace of
    mind".

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Mar 8, 2006

  3. Fordolet

    Faccio Guest

    You need to copy on a floppy the drivers for SATA peripherals. By the WinXP
    installation you have to click F6 (or similar) to install drivers of theird
    parts. The PC will serch in the floppy the right drives. The installation of
    the array comes later. You can find the SATA utility in the MB's service
    disk.
    Franco

    Faccio, Mar 12, 2006