    Anyone encountered something similar or know what I can do here?

    Thanks.

    -Pete Schott

    Peter A. Schott, Jul 2, 2005

  2. Peter A. Schott

    Paul Guest

    The manual mentions a "CPU Speed" [Manual] setting. Then there
    is a "CPU External Frequency (MHz)" that you set. I think with
    this generation of motherboard, the PCI and AGP are not locked.
    What that means, is the PCI bus clock is divided down from the
    CPU clock.

    1467 (1700+) OPGA 133 256   11x

    Without modification, you should be running at 133x11 = 1463
    The 133 CPU clock is divided by 4, to make a normal PCI 33MHz
    clock. The thing to watch, is if you step down to 132MHz for
    example, the clock generator might end up using a divider of 3,
    and 132/3 = 44MHz. Any frequency higher than about 37.5MHz for
    the PCI bus, can cause PCI devices or IDE interfaces to fail
    to work properly. So, if selecting a manual frequency setting
    below 133 MHz, the next lowest acceptable frequency would be
    112 MHz. 112/3=37.3 and that should be low enough to work.

    So, some "good numbers" would be anything from 100..112, then
    the next good ones are 133..150MHz. Give that a try.

    Another thing to fiddle with. There is "Interrupt Mode",
    with a setting of PIC or APIC. Try using PIC mode, and see if
    your install results change. On some motherboards, APIC and
    Linux don't mix too well.

    While there is a "1394_EN1" header between PCI slot 4 and
    slot 5, it might not be installed if Asus thought the disable
    function would be in the BIOS. I don't know if the ability to
    disable the Firewire chip actually exists on this board or
    not. Does Suse allow install time command-line options ?

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Jul 5, 2005