    Anyone got any guidance. Also before I buy am I correct in my belief
    that the above memory/CPU/Mobo combination is OK?

    KM

    km, Mar 12, 2005

  2. km

    Chachi Guest

    The only *real* difference is the chipset. N stands for nvidia, V for
    Via. I have always had via chipsets, and had no problems with them,
    though the nvidia could be better (hence the higher price) but I've
    never owned one.

    Chachi, Mar 12, 2005

  3. km

    km Guest

    Thanks Chachi. For the use these will be put to I'll go with the VIA.

    Must admit that I was going backwards and forwards to compare
    features. I should have asked the question earlier and saved time.

    By better does that mean more stable, less inclined to conflict with
    Graphics cards etc?

    KM

    km, Mar 12, 2005
  4. km

    Lief Guest

    Think the N-force ones have inbuilt gfx? Therefore maybe cheaper overall....

    Lief, Mar 12, 2005
  5. km

    Chachi Guest

    Well, I'm not too sure about being better? It could just be that you're
    paying for a good name? I can be 100% sure that there would be no
    conflicts with nvidia graphics cards though! ;)

    Chachi, Mar 12, 2005
  6. km

    Chachi Guest

    No, that's not a nforce limited option. I've seen many nforce boards
    without onboard vid, and my via mb has onboard vid (although it is
    crappy for games).

    Chachi, Mar 12, 2005
  7. km

    Hans Wankle Guest

    I have one of each of these boards. I got the VIA board about a year ago and
    built a system for the wife. I got it for $59.99 US dollars. She only uses
    it for web surfing and printing photos. After about 6 month the network on
    board stopped working. Although it was still in warranty I just installed a
    PCI network card and went on. The wife leaves it on from the time she gets
    out of bed until she goes to bed at night. She loves it and want let me
    touch it except to update Windows, etc. I have had the Nvidia board as a
    test machine for about 5 months now without a single problem. I paid $89.00
    US dollars for it and only got it over the VIA board because of the
    upgradeability of it. Asus support is lacking but my experience has been
    good. Either board would be a good choice depending on your budget. Hope
    this helps.

    Hans Wankle, Mar 12, 2005
  8. km

    km Guest

    There will only be limited use - 3 days a week and then only between
    10am-3pm so the systems won't be overused.

    I will go for the A7V8X-X option in view of everone's helpful
    comments.

    The graphics card will be an ATI Radeon Saphire 9250 128mb
    (probably more powerful than really needed, but still reasonably cheap
    in UK) unless someone advises against it.

    KM

    km, Mar 12, 2005
  9. km

    Ben Pope Guest

    Both are very stable chipsets now.

    The nForce2 has some advantages, but I think most of them are stripped
    in the -X version, anyway.

    A7N8X-X has a 200MHz FSB (XP3000+, XP3200+), and the A7V8X-X has 166MHz
    FSB. Thats the only difference that springs to mind.

    The nForce2 has things like PCI/AGP lock for overclocking.

    But the VIA will probably do everything you want, too.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Mar 12, 2005