A7V8X-X and harddrives - nothing works :(

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Devast8or, Jul 30, 2003.

  1. Devast8or

    Devast8or Guest

    Hi all,

    Just bought an A7V8X-X, but I'm not impressed. It doesn't want to use any of
    my drives. I have 3 harddrives, two of them with Windows installed already
    (one 98SE and one W2KPro). The last one doesn't even have systemfiles on it.

    Yesterday I was lucky enough to boot up on the W2K disk (and even with the
    empty disk attached too). But today I can't do anything. No matter wgat
    combination of drives I try it doesn't work. Booting up with the 98SE disk
    just leaves it hanging. Booting up on the W2K disk I got a messag saying my
    Win installation was corrupt the first time. After booting it again it just
    says "Disk error - replace and press any key" or somethig to that effect.

    You would think I could just boot up on a floppy, but no. I just get an I/O
    error most of the time, but I've also seen another error. The floppy drive
    worked fine in Windows yesterday. And I've also tried booting on a CD-ROM
    but that didn't work either.

    There's no consistency in when it will actually detect a dive in the BIOS
    and when it won't. And if it does detect the drive in the BIOS, Ican't even
    be sure it remembers it when it gets to the POST screen.

    Anyone know what's up with this board? It seems to me like the controller is
    FUBAR, but maybe I've some option in the BIOS. Any help would be much
    appreciated - I'm running out of patience with this board :(

    Other hardware in my machine includes:
    XP2000+ (Palomino) (yes, properly cooled)
    Creative GF4 Ti4600 (brand new, bought it along with the mobo)
    512MB Samsung Supreme PC2700 RAM
    2 Seagate Baracuda IV HDDs, one 60GB and one 80GB
    1 Seagate 7200.7 HDD, 160GB
    DVD-ROM
    CD-RW
    330W Enermax PSU

    Oh, and I think the BIOS version on the mobo is 1003.

    TIA for any help you can give me.

    Devast8or

    Devast8or, Jul 30, 2003

  2. Already did that. I've booted up with only GFX card, floppy and one
    harddrive installed (tried this with all three HDDs). I also tried with one
    HDD and on CD drive (to boot up from the CD and install windows) but to no
    avail.

    Come to think of it, I haven't tried without the floppy drive connected.
    I'll try that when I get home.
    But I have to be able to boot up to do this, right?
    See above. The problem is even getting so far as to be able to install an
    OS.
    When the time comes I'll do that.
    I'm looking forward to that day :)
    I'm already considering this. I may even order a different board today. I
    can have it tomorrow and have all weekend to get it working then.
    I didn't even have enough standoffs, so I'm sure there none of these in
    places they shouldn't be.
    Devast8or

    Devast8or, work, Jul 31, 2003