A7V8X-x S2K bus and/or AGP drive strength settings.

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Mike Gorman, Jul 24, 2003.

  1. Mike Gorman

    Mike Gorman Guest

    Anyone have any information regarding these settings. I understand that
    tweaking these value can help stability in overclocking but do not directly
    contribute to overclocking. On this A7V8X-X with an Athlon 2600 (333) and a
    stick of value select Corsair mem I'm able to get some exceptional
    overclocking. I've been able to clock this up to just over 2.4ghz and
    performance is much nicer there (of course) but I do run into some stability
    problem. Mostly random reboots and blue screens.

    I imagine some quality RAM might help smooth things a bit but since the
    prices are up there I'd like to explore this particular tweak. Problem is
    there isn't much specific info (that I've come across yet) as to acceptable
    settings. I see when the S2K Bus Driving Strength is set to Manual that the
    Strobe P value is 2 and the Strobe N value is 3. So there's a starting
    point. I gather that higher values provide better stability at the cost of
    greater heat generation.

    Any advice would be appreciated.

    Thanks

    Mike Gorman, Jul 24, 2003

  2. Mike Gorman

    Egil Solberg Guest

    I believe that the S2K-settings apply to the bus between northbridge and
    CPU.
    Have a read at http://www.rojakpot.com/ for explanation on different
    settings.
    I don´t think you should modify these settings.
    As for gaining stability, your best bet is more voltage, better cooling,
    better powersupply (if it´s marginal), more relaxed memory timings.

    Egil Solberg, Jul 24, 2003