    noisy and given that these bridge chips dissipate a lot more heat than
    predecessors, how well does the combination work? Is it recommended?

    Thanks...

    Mercury, Nov 17, 2005

  2. Mercury

    Razor Guest

    Now,let me ask you.Is the fan noisy from the begining or just the last
    couple of days.If No2 then it is dying.
    As for the NB47J.It fits ok,as long as you don't have a dual slot graphics
    card.If you don't like or trust a passive cooling solution like 47J you
    might also think about NB32K also a zalman HS.I have changed this terrible
    Asus HSF just to be safe with this and i also installed a little 40*40*20
    low noise fan on it.It fits perfectly.Total cost:8 €.
    Another solution is Swiftech's MCX159CU but it's rather expensive.

    Razor, Nov 17, 2005

  3. Mercury

    Paul Guest

    Yup. That heatsink is a beauty.
    http://www.swiftnets.com/products/mcx159-CU.asp

    When chipsets put out more than 10 watts, it is a good idea
    to have a fan on the heatsink. I think others have commented
    about how hot a passive replacement heatsink gets on those
    boards.

    Here is some sample data (from the Aavid catalog), for three
    heatsinks suitable for cooling a Northbridge. The figures on
    the right are in degrees C/W. Basically, the heatsink is three
    times more effective, if a fan is present.

                       Length Width Height  still  with
                          mm    mm    mm    air    fan
                                                   200LFM

    35x35 374624B60024 35.00  35.00 10.00   23.40  7.55   Black anodize
    35x35 374724B60024 35.00  35.00 18.00   15.30  5.15   Black anodize
    35x35 374824B60024 35.00  35.00 25.00   12.00  4.27   Black anodize

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Nov 18, 2005
  4. Mercury

    PB Guest

    I went looking for 40mm fans out of curiosity and discovered this nice unit:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835103155

    Only $6.99 (but a hefty gig on shipping)

    PB

    PB, Nov 18, 2005
  5. Mercury

    RJT Guest

    worked fine for me, had to break off a few pins to make it fit in with
    my graphics card though. Also, my advice would be to make sure there is
    some kind of airflow around the heatsink, because that nForce4 chipset
    gets really very hot.

    RJT, Nov 18, 2005
  6. Mercury

    Mercury Guest

    Thanks everyone. The zalman won't be going in this time as I have ordered
    one the MCX159-CU coolers - the stats are really good.

    IMO, a cooler o this quality should be on the boards from day 1 - assuming
    hte device lives up to the stats.

    Mercury, Nov 19, 2005
  7. Mercury

    Mercury Guest

    I tried the NB47J just for the heck of it.

    It got a tad hot - hot to touch, but Asus Probe & BIOS said only 40c. It
    felt more like 60c (21c ambient). I ripped out the NB47J and will just have
    to wait for the recommended cooler above...

    When I had the NB47J in, it was the quietest computer I have ever witnessed.

    Mercury, Nov 23, 2005
  8. Mercury

    Mark A Guest

    That MB does not report the temps of the chipset. It reports the CPU and "MB
    ambient" temperatures.

    Mark A, Nov 23, 2005
  9. Mercury

    Razor Guest

    Try Zalman NB32K HS with a 40mm low noise fan on it.

    Razor, Nov 23, 2005
  10. Mercury

    Mercury Guest

    I am waiting delivery of a Swiftech MCX159CU. Quiet things are difficult to
    get around here (New Zealand).

    Mercury, Nov 23, 2005
  11. Mercury

    Mercury Guest

    The Swiftech MCX159CU is now in with an 8c drop over the 32k with a fan on.
    The install was less fiddly than the horrible pushpin things and is more
    robust.

    Mercury, Dec 2, 2005