    5. Copy the contents of Drive 2 to the newly created array;

    6. Add Drive 2 to the array and convert to RAID 5.

    Perce

    Percival P. Cassidy, Jul 30, 2009

  2. Percival P. Cassidy

    Bob Knowlden Guest

    It appears that the AMD version of the nForce4 Ultra in the A8N-E doesn't
    support Raid 5. That would explain why there's no mention of it in the
    manual. (Supported modes: 0, 1, 0+1, and JBOD.)

    http://www.nvidia.com/page/nforce4_family.html

    I can't say whether your suggested contortions would work, into a supported
    array type. (If you want both faster performance and redundancy, RAID 0 + 1
    looks to be your only option. You'd only get 1GB of capacity with four 500MB
    disks, though.) On the rare occasions I experimented with motherboard-based
    RAID, I always did a clean installation. It may be possible to clone a
    non-RAID installation onto an array using a tool like Universal Restore
    (www.acronis.com). It's not free, but I believe that it's not prohibitively
    expensive.

    Bob Knowlden, Jul 30, 2009

  3. The nVidia documentation I downloaded from the 'Net says that it applies
    both to the nForce4 Ultra and to the nForce5 Ultra Intel edition. I had
    missed the footnote that says that RAID 5 is supported "on select boards
    only."

    I had in the meantime already tried a dummy run of the first two steps
    by adding an old drive I happened to have sitting around and marking it
    as RAID 0. WinXP said it had found new hardware but failed to complete
    the installation of the driver(s) from the floppy disk I had created,
    and that additional drive is not seen. I can't see why the situation
    would be any different with a new drive. I can't find a later driver and
    have no idea why this isn't working. I know that "everybody" says that
    to install Windows on a RAID disk there's no way around the F6 and
    install drivers from floppy method, up to the point I have reached so
    far I have not given any indication that I intend this additional drive
    to be the boot drive: for all Windows "knows," I could be intending to
    leave the OS on a single non-RAID drive and use RAID only for data drives.
    RAID 5 is the only configuration that interests me, so I think I'll just
    have to give up the idea of doing anything more with this particular
    machine.

    Perce

    Percival P. Cassidy, Jul 30, 2009