A8N-SLI 20 pin and what? EZ, or 12 pin ATX?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by LD, Aug 2, 2005.

  1. LD

    LD Guest

    Hi folks,

    I am somewhat clueless here.

    I am building a new machine with an A8N-SLI,
    an Antec P180 case, and a NorthQ 4100 PSU.

    The PSU has a 20 pin plug, which I shouldbe able to fit in the 24-pin
    plug without problems. The 4-pin ATX wire is however too short to
    reach the plug on the mobo, as the PSU is in the bottom in this case.

    Do I need to get an extension for this, or can I use the EZ instead?
    I've got an ASUS 6600GT gfx card. If I plug in the EZ, will the card
    draw power from the EZ then, or how does the gfx card power
    distribution work between the EZ and the main 24-pin connector?

    If the card will draw from the EZ, then I should be ok w/o the 4-pin
    ATX plug? This is a light machine with only 1 HD, 1 DVD-drive,
    no PCI card except the gfx and a few USB units.

    So my question pretty much comes down to how the power is distributed
    between the EZ, the 24-pin and the 4-pin, on the A8N-SLI.
    Googling gives different suggestions for mostly elder ASUS boards...

    LD, Aug 2, 2005

  2. LD

    LD Guest

    Hmm... of course the 4-pin 12V ATX plug has to be connected
    to boot the PC....

    LD, Aug 3, 2005

  3. LD

    milleron Guest

    Like LD said, you must connect the 4-pin 12V plug. You could get an
    extender, but you should really consider getting a new PSU with a
    24-pin connector and a cable that's long enough to reach your 4-pin
    connector. This is especially true if you're planning to run two
    graphics cards. In that case, expect the A8N-SLI Premium to be rather
    finicky about PSUs. Using a PSU with only a 20-pin power connector,
    risks instability by leaving the board somewhat underpowered.
    EZ plug is important only if you're running two graphic cards. If
    you're using just one, powering the EZ Plug is optional.

    Ron

    milleron, Aug 4, 2005