A8N-SLI and using SATA RAID1 with onboard Silicon Image 3114

Discussion in 'Asus' started by BIOSMonkey, May 3, 2005.

  1. BIOSMonkey

    BIOSMonkey Guest

    OK, so I built a new system with a 74GB SATA Raptor as the boot drive,
    and two 160GB SATA Hitachi drive in RAID0 on the nvidia SATA chip.

    I also have two more Hitachi 160GB drives in RAID 1 on the SI 3114.

    I noted when I first created the RAID 1 array, the SATARAID5 utility
    would start up on XP boot showing the array in yellow, and performance
    on this volume was really poor.

    I came to learn later that yellow means 'reduced', and the system is
    "restoring redundancy" in the background. Since it is a new system, I
    have not been leaving it on all the time. But after learning this I
    left it on overnight and found that it took 5 freaking hours to go
    back to a normal (green) condition.

    So after this was done the array performance went back up to an
    expected level.

    Well, I have been leaving the system in standby mode. Yesterday, our
    power blinked out for a few minutes, which cut the system off (from
    standby). After rebooting, the f'ing array was back to yellow, and
    task manager said "restoring redundancy"! Oh boy, I get to wait 5-6
    hours with crappy performance on the raid array while this thing
    rebuilds itself.

    What the FUDGE is this thing doing? I'm using maybe 5gb on this drive
    right now, why does the redundancy fail when it wasn't even doing
    anything, and WHY IN GODS NAME does it take 5 fracking hours???? How
    is the utility determining when the array is 'reduced'??

    Is this chip just a POS? Did I set it up wrong??? I bought this board
    specifically so I could have this raid config.

    BIOSMonkey, May 3, 2005

  2. BIOSMonkey

    Mercury Guest

    Sounds like a device driver issue. I suggest getting in touch with SI
    /looking for a better driver, possibly firmware.

    When a system goes into standby, the discs (logical) will have all queued
    IO's completed. Running apps are suspended and their IO buffers are left as
    is. If the power fails in this situation then you will have corrupt files,
    but that is all you should have, not corrupt discs.

    It sounds like the driver is not picking up the power status change
    correctly and marking the RAID config as clean.

    In the mean time, do not use standby or get a good UPS or both. Try
    hybernate instead.

    In the mean time you are risking getting and irreparable array.

    Why 5 fracking hours? Hmmm = 300 minutes ~= 0.5GB sync / minute = OK to me.
    They are always a tad slow when synching - be thankful the system is still
    usable.

    Mercury, May 3, 2005

  3. BIOSMonkey

    Paul Guest

    If you use RAID, you should have a UPS. The next power failure
    could occur while the computer is running, and even with the
    world's best drivers, the disks could be de-synchronized when
    the power fails. You may want a UPS with some kind of automatic
    shutdown sequence, if you leave the machine in normal run state
    a lot. In Suspend To RAM state, the current consumed by the
    computer is low enough, that the UPS could stay up for quite a
    while. In full Run state, the uptime will not be quite as long.

    I don't use RAID and I still have whatever two computers I'm
    currently using on the UPS. Just one less source of issues
    eliminated, as I get way more one second power outages than
    anything else.

    Paul

    Paul, May 3, 2005
  4. BIOSMonkey

    Billy Guest

    Why 5 fracking hours? Hmmm = 300 minutes ~= 0.5GB sync / minute = OK to me.

    It takes this long to compare and sync 155GB of blank data? Looks like sync
    time should be proportional to used space.

    Billy, May 3, 2005
  5. BIOSMonkey

    Tim Guest

    The RAID Controller has no idea what a FAT, FAT32, EXT3, NTFS, or other file
    system looks like so has no way of knowing what is used and what is not.

    Tim, May 3, 2005
  6. BIOSMonkey

    Billy Guest

    Hmm...that's a very good point.

    Billy, May 4, 2005
  7. BIOSMonkey

    Tony Clark Guest

    However it should be able to compare the data very quickly and determine
    which blocks are out of sync.

    TC

    Tony Clark, May 17, 2005
  8. BIOSMonkey

    janshen Guest

    I am having the same problem. I have the same motherboard and us
    standby but have my system on a UPS and have not taken a power hit.
    Is there a way to up the rebuild priority? It is now at 10. It jus
    says reduced, I can not even tell if it is rebuilding or why my syste
    is so slow

    thank
    Jo

    janshen, Nov 12, 2005