    not sure if ati pci-express x16 cards will work in a x8 slots.

    Thanks.

    Derek

    Derek, Nov 3, 2005

  2. Derek

    Derek Guest

    Thanks Paul, that's useful information

    Also, thanks Jan that is quite a setup you have. In your FSpanelsPC
    with the nvidia and matrox card you've installed the drivers from nvidia
    and drivers from matrox and then use nvidia's nView to manage the multi
    monitor modes?

    All in all, seems like 2 ATI cards in this nForce4 board is not going to
    be a problem (SLI not a feature I'm looking for).

    Derek

    Derek, Nov 4, 2005

  3. Derek

    Paul Guest

    In SLI mode, only one monitor can be driven, while in non-SLI,
    the two cards are independent of one another (making your
    four monitor case a possibility).

    http://support.asus.com/faq/faq_rig...C-65A8-FE6E-AAE7-0D82182BCF9F&SLanguage=en-us

    It seems video cards can take quite a few combinations of lanes.
    This tomshardware article compares performance of video cards,
    when the contacts on the edge card are insulated with tape.
    Apparently video cards will work at x1, x2, x4, x8, and x16
    lane combinations.

    http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041122/pcie-analyse-09.html

    There are two ingredients within a chipset. There have to be
    enough (for lack of a better word) "agents" to terminate a set
    of PCI Express lanes, and then the lanes themselves. For example,
    if a chipset has 5 agents, and 21 lanes, you could do
    x8, x8, x1, x1, x1 with 2 lanes left over, or x8, x8, x4, x1 with
    an agent left over. I would expect for SLI, there would be
    an agent assigned per slot, making anything possible - I don't
    think a single agent is somehow being shared over the two slots.

    I'd prefer to give you an authoritative reference on this stuff,
    but the PCI Express standard costs money, and I don't own a
    copy.

    I noticed in the release notes for one of the BIOS files, that
    they fixed the ability to use a PCI x8 Areca RAID card on the
    motherboard, implying that not only can you use two
    video cards in x8/x8 to do four monitors, but you could also
    use one video card in x8 mode and a x8 raid card at the same
    time. So, while compatibility hasn't been perfect to date,
    the BIOS issues are gradually being worked out to make the
    two video slots pretty general purpose. Maybe some day, you'll
    be able to stick two PCI Express x8 RAID cards in there, and
    use an ATI Rage PCI video card as a server configuration.

    Paul

    Paul, Nov 4, 2005
  4. It might be interesting to know that I use a A8N-SLI de luxe
    with one XFX 6800GT and one Matrox Parhelia APVe
    with 5 monitors without any problem

    See you, Jan
    http://home.wxs.nl/~jarkest/home.html

    Jan Arkesteijn, Nov 4, 2005