A8N SLI Deluxe Problems w/ SLI

Discussion in 'Asus' started by tim.stevens, Dec 11, 2005.

  1. tim.stevens

    tim.stevens Guest

    I recently had to RMA my A8N Deluxe because the chipset fan died and
    the system was constantly rebooting. So, installed new motherboard,
    powered everything up, and am having problems. First off, specs:

    AMD FX-55 CPU
    (2) NVIDIA 6800 Ultra video cards in SLI
    1 gig Corsair ram (2 512 meg dimms in slots 1 & 3)

    Ok, I have the selector card oriented so that the SLI side is in, I
    have the SLI power connector attached to the motherboard and both video
    cards have their own power connectors. I booted the system with the
    video cable attached to the top card. I had no signal. I thought I'd
    installed the board wrong, but out of curiosity I plugged the video
    cable into the bottom card and got output... curious.

    I boot into windows, and the system cannot see that I have two 6800's.
    I go to Add New Hardware, try to detect new, but it finds nothing. Just
    the single card. Then, curiously, the screen goes black. I shut down
    the computer.

    Now, I cannot get any video from either card. Interestingly, though,
    the system boots up correctly and gets to windows, and I can even use
    Remote Desktop to get in there and see such. It recognizes the 1 gig of
    memory, but now doesn't see EITHER video card.

    I've removed both cards and re-seated, tried it in non-SLI mode with
    just the upper card, tried different power connectors... etc. etc. No
    dice. Any suggestions on what might be wrong? I unfortunately don't
    have any other PCI-E video cards to test with, nor any friends from
    whom I could borrow one.

    Thanks,

    -tim

    tim.stevens, Dec 11, 2005

  2. tim.stevens

    RonK Guest

    Did you enable both in bios ?

    RonK, Dec 11, 2005

  3. tim.stevens

    tim.stevens Guest

    I can't remember exactly the setting I changed, but there was something
    relating to SLI and I set it to "auto." Now, of course, I can't get to
    the BIOS.

    tim.stevens, Dec 11, 2005
  4. tim.stevens

    RonK Guest

    Try clearing the bios with the jumper then see if it boots with display.

    RonK, Dec 12, 2005
  5. tim.stevens

    RonK Guest

    In bios under Advanced, AI-Selector - set it to Dual Video Cards

    RonK, Dec 12, 2005
  6. tim.stevens

    tim.stevens Guest

    Yes, this is set to Dual, and the other settings on the SLI section are
    set to Auto.

    Interestingly, I tried to boot up the system last night and again the
    lower video card is working. However, still just one card shows up in
    Device Manager. I tried updating the nFORCE drivers, but after the IDE
    installation the process fails with a rather unhelpful message of
    "1155." I was tempted to flash the motherboard's BIOS, but it is
    already 1015.

    Any other suggestions? I'm happy to format the system if that will help
    anything. I'd love to swap the video cards around and see if only the
    one card is working, but unfortunately the system is water-cooled, and
    doing so would take a few hours' worth of draining and re-tubing :(

    Thanks again,

    -tim

    tim.stevens, Dec 12, 2005
  7. tim.stevens

    RonK Guest

    Do you have the extra 4 wire molex plugged in near the top video slot ?

    RonK, Dec 12, 2005
  8. tim.stevens

    tim.stevens Guest

    Yep, I have the plug in above the upper video card slot, the 6-pin
    power connector toward the top of the motherboard, and the 24-pin ATX
    power connector all on there. Each card has their own 6-pin power
    connector installed as well, and each card has a green light
    illuminated when I turn the system on showing that they have power.

    tim.stevens, Dec 12, 2005
  9. tim.stevens

    RonK Guest

    Do you have the bridge between the cards connected firmly ?

    RonK, Dec 12, 2005
  10. tim.stevens

    tim.stevens Guest

    Yes, I even flipped it around to see if it would matter, but it doesn't
    seem to have a particular orientation. The bridge is installed firmly
    and supported in place.

    tim.stevens, Dec 12, 2005
  11. tim.stevens

    RonK Guest

    What bios revision do you have ?

    RonK, Dec 12, 2005
  12. tim.stevens

    tim.stevens Guest

    It's 1015

    tim.stevens, Dec 12, 2005
  13. tim.stevens

    RonK Guest

    Hi Tim,
    Just a couple more suggestions - Then I give up !

    Have you installed AI Selector from the Asus CD ?

    Have you tried clearing the bios then reset the bios settings ?

    RonK, Dec 12, 2005
  14. tim.stevens

    RonK Guest

    Also make sure you follow the instructions in the manual to setup the
    Graphic Card Drivers to enable dual cards. You have to go into Advanced
    settings to enable the SLI Multi-GPU.

    RonK, Dec 12, 2005
  15. tim.stevens

    tim.stevens Guest

    I appreciate the help!

    AI Selector is installed. I tried removing the battery to clear the
    BIOS, but couldn't get to it (the radiator in my case partially blocks
    it). I'll try to find the jumper and give that a shot.

    tim.stevens, Dec 12, 2005
  16. tim.stevens

    tim.stevens Guest

    yeah, the "Enable SLI" checkbox won't even appear because the system is
    only recognizing a single video card in device manager.

    tim.stevens, Dec 12, 2005
  17. tim.stevens

    RonK Guest

    Will AI Selector allow you to set it to Dual ?

    RonK, Dec 12, 2005
  18. tim.stevens

    RonK Guest

    Are you running XP or XP 64 Bit ?

    RonK, Dec 12, 2005
  19. tim.stevens

    RJT Guest

    Seems to me you have to try this before you move on. Did you also swap
    the cards, ie put the bottom one in the top slot and vice-versa? Which
    card gives you a video output then, if any? Do you have dual vid outputs
    and both cards, and did you try both outputs?

    RJT, Dec 12, 2005
  20. tim.stevens

    tim.stevens Guest

    32 bit XP SP2