A8N-Sli Deluxe, SATA and disk/drive order in OS ?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Bos, Apr 10, 2005.

  1. Bos

    Bos Guest

    Hello.

    I have a Q regarding "disk/drive order" in OS.

    I have one WD Raptor 74 GB, attached to the first nForce4 SATA slot.

    I have two additional 80 GB Seagate drives, attached to the (nForce4)
    third, and fourth SATA slots.

    My "problem" is this :

    In Win XP Pro SP2, the WD Raptor appears as drive no 3 in Disk
    management, the other two as drive no 1 & 2 (with C:, D: and so on the
    right drive).

    In Knoppix 3.8, the drives get listed in the same strange order,
    the SLOT1 WD Raptor as SDC and the other two as SDA and SDB...

    What is going on here ?
    Have I missed something ?
    What happends to my "soon to be Gentoo" on the raptor the day when I
    add a new disk ?
    Is it going to move to SDD ?

    Bios reports: (I think it is on version 1006)
    First SATA device = WD Raptor
    Third and Fourth SATA = Seagate ...

    Would be very nice if someone could explain this to me
    //Bos

    Bos, Apr 10, 2005

  2. I believe that essentially the two halves of the nForce4 SATA controller
    get recognized as two separate devices, which could show up in either
    order. This shouldn't really affect anything..

    Robert Hancock, Apr 11, 2005