A8N-SLI DELUXE - SATA drive failures

Discussion in 'Asus' started by NEWS, Apr 21, 2005.

  1. NEWS

    NEWS Guest

    Dear All

    I had my A8N-SLI Deluxe running with (occasional freezes) a
    Dual GPUs in SLI Mode
    single MAXTOR 200GB SATA (Boot) connecting to NV-SATA1
    single MAXTOR 200GB IDE

    Computer froze and since then I get Invalid boot disk error, no matter what
    I try I cannot get it to boot from the SATA drive.

    the recovery console (from CDROM) can recognise the drive and log me into
    the partition. Everything appears to be there.

    I gave up and went to reinstall windows back on the drive and got the
    following error after the selecting the partition.

    This drive does not contain a windows XP-compatible partition

    I installed another MAXTOR 200GB Sata drive in nvraid1 and started the
    install again it recognised the drive, partitioned it then gave me the same
    error as soon as I selected the partition..

    My system bios is 1009

    NEWS, Apr 21, 2005

  2. Christian PRIEUR, Apr 21, 2005

  3. NEWS

    Patrick Ryan Guest

    Thanks

    BIOS 1009 was a typo I meant BIOS 1006

    I was a little surprised at this apparent incompatibility, I mean the SLI
    Deluxe has been around for a few months, and the MAXTORs aren't exactly new.
    Although the pricing in australia has just hit Gigabyte/A$ sweet spot, maybe
    nobody was buying them ( all they checked it out prior to purchase).

    I reckon it is annoying how the drive is recognised right until windows
    setup formats the drive as NTFS.

    Patrick Ryan, Apr 22, 2005
  4. NEWS

    fsda Guest

    Email Maxtor. I have a DiamondMax10 300GB SATA that would not be
    recongized sometimes during POST. I submitted a question via the Maxtor
    web page, and the next day they emailed me new firmware for the drive. I
    now have no problems...

    fsda, Apr 22, 2005
  5. NEWS

    edde Guest

    Apparently this can be a common problem.
    The fix is to contact Maxtor, and they should send you a new firmware for
    your hd.

    edde, Apr 29, 2005