    and mouse or one or the other just work. I do have a backup PS2 port mouse
    and keyboard .
    Fred

    Frederick Pileggi, Jul 28, 2006

  2. Frederick Pileggi

    Paul Guest

    According to section 2.5.1 here, "Legacy USB Support" setting
    affects support when booting an OS which doesn't have USB
    support (like maybe DOS ?). When disabled, apparently the BIOS
    can still see and use input from the USB keyboard, but no
    support is provided to the booted OS.

    http://www.ami.com/support/doc/AMIBIOS8_USB_Whitepaper.pdf

    If the options were named "USB keyboard legacy support" or
    "USB mouse legacy support", those options are more dangerous.
    I don't know if those options typically appear in an Asus
    BIOS or not.

    Why not connect both keyboards and experiment. If you get
    into a bind, and the USB keyboard is being ignored, then
    you should be able to type on the PS/2 one. The PS/2
    connector is not designed for "hot insertion" with the
    power on, so if you plan on using the PS/2 keyboard,
    it should be connected before the computer is plugged in.

    Paul

    Paul, Jul 29, 2006

  3. It should work in any OS which has not loaded a driver for the USB
    controller.. Essentially the BIOS uses SMM to trap the data received
    from the USB controller from the keyboard and mouse and fakes it out so
    that it appears to have been received on the PS/2 ports. There's a
    defined way in the USB host controller specs for the OS to tell the BIOS
    to release the controller so that it can operate it itself.

    Robert Hancock, Jul 30, 2006