A8N-SLI Premium RAID Recovery (Silicon Image - RAID 1 failure) - How do I recover?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by davidcookoz, Jan 5, 2007.

  1. davidcookoz

    davidcookoz Guest

    I configured my AN8-SLI Premium with 1 150Gb SATA "boot" drive
    connected to the NVIDIA RAID controller, and with 3x233GB SATA drives
    connected to the Silicom Image RAID controller as follows:

    0 Maxtor 6B250S) 233GB (RAID1- Set A)
    1 Maxtor 6B250S) 233GB (RAID1 - Set A)
    2 Maxtor 6B250S) 233GB (RAID0 - ordinary driver)

    I configured a RAID1 (Set A) set across drives 0 and 1, and left drive
    2 as a standard (RAID 0 or no RAID drive). I got my OS (Windows Vista)
    to originally recognise the RAID1 set by loading the Silicon Image
    Windows XP driver at install time.

    Yesterday I booted my system, and I noted that the RAID1 set was not
    shown in the OS. Upon computer boot into the RAID Configuration
    Utility (via CTRL-S or F4) the 3 drives are shown but are listed as:

    PHYSICAL DRIVE LOGICAL DRIVE
    0 Maxtor 6B250S 233GB
    1 Maxtor 6B250S 233GB Invalid RAID drive
    2 Maxtor 6B250S 233GB Reserved Drives

    How can I recover my data from the RAID1 set.

    The option "Rebuild Raid1 set" does not work. It simply returns "Raid1
    set only. Press any key to return." and when I select "Logical Drive
    Info" it first highlights
    1 Maxtor 6B250S 233GB Invalid RAID drive

    and then when I use the up or down arrow, the following are selected,
    and then the utility locks.

    PHYSICAL DRIVE LOGICAL DRIVE
    0 Maxtor 6B250S 233GB
    Invalid RAID drive
    2 Maxtor 6B250S 233GB Reserved Drives

    I'm hoping I can get my data back. Is this true hardware RAID, and can
    I read my data off each of the individual drives, by connecting them to
    the a NVIDIA SATA ports, or will this simply not work?

    Can anone recommend some things to try so I can get my data back!

    Any advice and guidance would be appreciated.

    Cheers,

    David

    davidcookoz, Jan 5, 2007

  2. davidcookoz

    edavid3001 Guest

    I'm hoping I can get my data back. Is this true hardware RAID, and can
    If you did RAID 1, it will work.

    See
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt....6?lnk=st&q=edavid3001&rnum=1#af66b773b1861056

    where I just went through about the same thing..

    Seems the SIL3114R5 controller is pretty worthless.

    edavid3001, Jan 5, 2007

  3. davidcookoz

    davidcookoz Guest

    Thanks edavid3001.

    I read your referenced thread, and what gives me hope is the following
    statement:
    I have Windows Vista installed on 1 SATA drive connected to the nVidia
    controller, and there are 3 ports spare on that controller. So I plan
    for tomorrow is to disconnect my drives from the SIL controller and
    (one by one) plug them into a next port on the nVidia controller. If
    the data can be read, I'll burn it off to DVD.

    Is what I suggest a good way forward? Do I have to do any
    configuration on the nVidia controller before doing this, or should it
    just recognise the new drives.

    This experience has put me off motherboard based RAID. I think I'd
    have been better backing up from one 233GB drive to another manually.
    The funny thing was I subsribed to Carbonite 3 weeks ago, but backup of
    my 180GB of data was only 73GB complete so I'm really hoping for a
    result tomorrow.

    I'll post how I get on here.

    Cheers,

    David

    davidcookoz, Jan 6, 2007
  4. davidcookoz

    edavid3001 Guest

    You have a RAID 1 array with 2 drives? Should be able to plug one of
    them into the nVidia controller and see the data on it.

    I unplugged all my other drives while doing this. The RAID drive was
    the boot drive with all services installed to it.

    Yea, motherboard RAID never has worked real well for me. I used it on
    a Novell Netware server once and one drive failing caused both to fail.
    I have RAID failures all the time on my SCSI grade servers. Some are
    on board, but they are SCSI and high quality. It's always a
    non-issue. Just hot plug the drive out, put a new one in, and let it
    rebuild.

    IBM's got nice controllers where you can loose 2 drives in a RAID 5 set
    and still recover, if you have enough drives in the set. I've never
    seen this on other RAID setups unless you specify a spare. I didn't
    believe IBM until I actually had 2 fail at one time (bad drive run -
    all eventually failed.)

    I might look at going with a 3ware SATA raid controller after this..

    edavid3001, Jan 6, 2007
  5. davidcookoz

    edavid3001 Guest

    My guess is if you plug in both of your raid 1 drives into nvidia, you
    will have two sets of the drives in windows -- also guessing that your
    error indicates the second drive has failed, in which case you would
    only have 1 set. But you never know -- both my drives are good.

    edavid3001, Jan 6, 2007
  6. davidcookoz

    old man Guest

    If you had a mirror raid on the Sil controler, and the mirror failed, you
    should be able to remove one drive connector and reboot. The data should be
    then available. If its not, reconnect origonal and disconect the other.

    Personally I gave up on mobo raid after similar problems, and now use a
    dedicated raid card ($375) and the manu has immediate phone support
    NB A mirror setup is not a replacement for a backup regime

    old man, Jan 6, 2007
  7. davidcookoz

    edavid3001 Guest

    and now use a dedicated raid card ($375)

    Which kind have you had good luck with?

    edavid3001, Jan 7, 2007
  8. davidcookoz

    old man Guest

    Adaptec 4 port card
    I use a mirror, together with a hot swap. Automatically switches
    over/rebuilds in the event of failure, and emails my mobile on any error
    event.
    I have used their phone support, a live, knowledgable helpfull person.
    (Didnt pay retail, purchased on EBay sealed box, still with warranty, I had
    a minor prob, they sent me new box prior to the rma return)
    Been running 24/7 for two years now

    old man, Jan 7, 2007
  9. Be aware that most IDE/RAID cards, just like most motherboard RAID
    setups, are really "fakeraid" cards that do all of the RAID management
    in the driver/BIOS and not in hardware, with some of the same issues.
    You need to get something more expensive, like a 3ware or Areca card, to
    actually get true hardware RAID.

    Robert Hancock, Jan 8, 2007
  10. davidcookoz

    edavid3001 Guest

    You need to get something more expensive, like a 3ware or Areca card, to
    I have 3ware on 3 of my *nix boxes at work, but haven't gone through a
    failure yet to know how well these handle that. The HP (mostly
    Adaptec rebranded) seem to handle failure well. Glad to here the 3ware
    are thought of well. I went with them because they didn't require
    special drivers when setting up *nix (most distro's support the model I
    got) and GHOST saw them w/out having to load any special drivers.

    I'll have to look at Areca. Never heard of them before.

    edavid3001, Jan 8, 2007
  11. davidcookoz

    old man Guest

    The Adaptec I use has onboard controler/chip, not via software/bios
    Adaptec do supply, also, software/bios, raid cards

    old man, Jan 8, 2007
  12. davidcookoz

    old man Guest

    PS The Adaptec price is broadly in line with 3ware (uk)

    old man, Jan 8, 2007
  13. davidcookoz

    davidcookoz Guest

    UPDATE

    By plugging the first drive from the RAID1 set (originally connected to
    the Silicon Image controller) to the NVIDIA controller my Vista OS can
    see the drive and read the data.

    I have learned my lesson and have a Buffalo Drive Station 500Gb on
    order to use as a backup device in future.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Buffalo-DriveStation-500Gb-Serial-External/dp/B000FVVLJS

    Thanks for your help once again!

    davidcookoz, Jan 10, 2007