    setup ?

    Thanks,
    Scott

    ScottHW, Aug 29, 2006

  2. ScottHW

    Paul Guest

    Have you tried creating an array with only one disk ?
    Try a RAID 0 or a RAID 1 with one disk and see what
    happens.

    The download page has what is called an ATA driver, but
    it appears to be a RAID driver. If the SIL3132 hosts
    the boot disk, then you would need to F6 install the
    SATA RAID driver. If the SIL3132 is only being
    used for a data disk, then you can install the
    necessary driver at any time, while booted from
    some other disk.

    The download page has two drivers with the same version
    number. The larger download is a Makedisk, intended
    for making a floppy suitable for an F6 windows install.
    The smaller download, I think, is just the driver itself.

    You may ask yourself, why does the RAID BIOS for the SIL3132
    show RAID5 and RAID10 options. With only two drives, you
    would think RAID 0 and RAID 1 would be sufficient. The reason
    for that, is the SIL3132 probably supports SATA port multipliers.
    I think there is an external box for $100, that allows
    connection of 5 drives to the external SIL3132 SATA port.
    So if you need to connect a larger array to the SIl3132,
    there are ways to do it.

    There is one internal and one external port, presumably
    for the construction of a mirror for backup purposes.
    You connect the external drive, and then add the external
    to the mirror. When the array rebuilds, the external is
    then an exact copy of the internal drive. Then, you can
    disconnect the external and put it in a safe place. Otherwise,
    having one external and one internal connector doesn't
    make a lot of sense.

    With the port multipliers, you could have at least 10 disks
    connected to the SIl3132, but I don't know how well the
    RAID BIOS interface or the software drivers would handle
    that many disks. But it does look like you could have
    hours of fun playing with it.

    Good luck,
    Paul

    Paul, Aug 29, 2006

  3. ScottHW

    ScottHW Guest

    Wow, thanks for all the good info.
    I will give it a whirl.

    Thanks,
    Scott

    ScottHW, Aug 30, 2006
  4. ScottHW

    Michael Chan Guest

    No, all those four SATA ports can be used to form RAID managed by the
    nForce chipset.

    The single SATA port you mentioned also can be used as general SATA,
    which managed by the Silcon Image chipset.

    All you need to do is configure the related options in BIOS, all these
    ports can be used either SATA or RAID.
    I don't think so, you can use this to plug the external SATA HDD such
    like a general SATA port, without need to have a RAID.

    Michael

    Michael Chan, Aug 30, 2006