    cards in sli ?
    Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks

    Reggie Hillier, Nov 24, 2006

  2. Reggie Hillier

    Don Guest

    This is just my first thought and I have no evidence to support my theory:

    Could it be that the A8N-SLis BIOS is seeing two different BIOS on the
    graphic cards and deciding SLi operation is not possible?

    I am not familiar with either of the cards you have but I seem to recall
    reading somewhere that the cards must be identical, which yours I assume are
    not.

    Hope this may help you,

    Don.

    Don, Nov 24, 2006

  3. What resolution are the games running ?

    Skybuck Flying, Nov 24, 2006
  4. Found out my problem....
    I was running it at 1024x768....when I run it at 1600x1200 I get almost the
    same score.
    Probably need a faster cpu. I checked the fill rate and with sli enabled I
    am getting almost
    2x the fill rate. So it is working but cpu is bottlenecking it with such
    fast cards.

    Reggie Hillier, Nov 24, 2006
  5. Hi,

    Your test sounded interesting so I also downloaded 3DMark2006 basic edition.

    Euhm I think I tried a previous version in the past but was unhappy with it.
    Or maybe it was system mark or something.

    Anyway this version was really nice and handy and no bullshit.

    Just fixed settings and such.

    And the graphics were pretty beautifull as well... highly recommended for
    computer shops to show off their computers ;)

    Unfortunately I can not simply copy & paste the results so I will have to
    type it in :(

    Some system info:

    X2 Dual Core 3800+
    Two GTX 7900 512 MB ram, sli enabled.
    Cooling and Quiet on.
    Power scheme, minimal power management.

    Here are the results:

    7202 3D Marks

    SM2.0 Score: 3132
    HDR/SM3.0 Score: 3707
    CPU Score: 1522

    So your score of 8600 seems reasonable.

    However you also did a single card test.

    I haven't done that yet.

    I will do that to lol and report back later ;)

    Thanks for sharing and what a nice tool lol.

    Bye,
    Skybuck ;) =D

    Skybuck Flying, Nov 24, 2006
  6. Well I just ran another 3DMark 2006 basic edition test with only one GTX
    7900 card:

    Here are the result:

    SM2.0 Score: 2600
    HDR/SM3.0 Score: 2499
    CPU Score: 1525

    Well if my calculations are not mistaken the secondary card delivers:

    34% more score points in 3DMark2006 basic edition, what that means :)

    Overall during the demo tests it was hardly noticeable if there was one or
    two cards being used expect for a little bit screen tearing when things got
    though, and a little bit slow down but not much.

    Also keep in mind this tool only tests at a lower resolution: 1280x1024

    I game at: 1600x1200 or 1920x1200 depending on if the game supports
    1920x1200 or not ;)

    Maybe a secondary card delivers more performance benefit in those high
    resolutions...

    But 3DMark2006 basic edition doesn't allow to change the resolution so it
    only tests at 1280x1024.

    My LCD monitor confirmed this by setting the scaling to one on one and the
    resolution become tiny centered on the screen, which proves the lower
    resolution being tested.

    All in all it was a quite interesting test.

    I do hope that I can watch the other demos as well fully with this program
    because so far I have only seen the space marines demo in full and the other
    demos I only saw shortly during the test which doesn't completely show the
    demos... The end premature. But I doubt it ;) Or maybe the demo being
    loaded/played is random that could be too... but it doesnt matter really,
    the main point is the "benchmark" test ;)

    I have seen better graphics in games though... but this test is also quite
    impressive but also a bit dull graphically... even more details could be
    added. Quake 4 had waaayy more details as well as Call of Juarez games.

    Not sure why the framerates are about 30 in this demo program. I suspect is
    the cpu code which could be slow.. or maybe many crappy objects on the
    screen where the triangles have not be optimized etc... or maybe it's the
    light effects which slow things down... all I am saying is I get much higher
    frames in games which also look better to me at least and even higher
    resolutions too !

    Anyway.. the airship demo was the most beautifull, with the dragon swimming
    underwater and then coming out of the water and trying to eat the airship...
    also the firefly demo was nice... the freeze demo was a bit dull as well as
    the space marines demo... especially the backgrounds a bit dull, also the
    backgrounds of the airship demo could use some more details and objects
    such...

    All in all not too shabby lol.

    I do like the big dragon rising out of the water and jumping over the
    airship... it looks great on a big/widescreen monitor =D BIG DRAGON
    skipping/jumping over pretty BIG AIRSHIP =D LOL.

    Bye,
    Skybuck :)

    Skybuck Flying, Nov 24, 2006
  7. Hmm I just noticed something.

    3DMark2006 system information does not detect that there are two graphics
    cards in my system ;)

    I just re-enabled SLI and restart 3DMark2006 but it doesn't mention that
    there are two graphics cards :)

    That probably doesn't matter for the test though... the operating
    system/drivers take care of SLI ;)

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Nov 24, 2006
  8. I also submitted my saved report to their website stuff... however it
    complained I was not using approved drivers.

    The most interesting bit of information is that their fastest recorded
    system also had a GTX 7900 but a intel core 2 extreme 6800 processor with a
    total score which was double that of mine lol.

    So that's interesting however I can not see the full specification of that
    system so for now it sounds to good to be true but I am reading up on this
    new processor :D

    Kinda interesting.

    Bye,
    Skybuck ;)

    Skybuck Flying, Nov 24, 2006
  9. Reggie Hillier

    Don Guest

    All of the above is certain proof that I spout absolute bollocks at the
    flick of a switch.

    Don

    Don, Nov 24, 2006
  10. Reggie Hillier

    Craig Sutton Guest

    Use nvflash and flash both cards to the same video bios if you feel brave.
    But yeah you are maybe cpu limited.

    Craig Sutton, Nov 25, 2006