A8N32-SLI Deluxe -- Won't Post

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Bob Horton, Feb 9, 2007.

  1. Bob Horton

    Bob Horton Guest

    Hi!

    I have an A8N32-SLI Deluxe system (4800+ processor, 2 sticks of 1 GB PC 3200
    RAM, 256 MB NVIDIA PCI-E video, 2 500 GB SATA drives in a JBOD array, one
    ATA storage drive, 500 Watt power supply) that has been rock solid for
    around a year. When I came in to work this AM, the machine had a text
    screen that said something like "BIOS Checksum error, looking for floppy,
    looking for CD". I inserted the ASUS CD to activate the automatic BIOS
    repair. The machine seemed to do the repair, then left the message on the
    screen (paraphrasing) to power down the machine to get your system back. I
    did so, but I then got the original error message back. I repeated the
    process about a dozen times, then decided (after Google research) to reset
    the CMOS by using the procedure in the manual (unplug the machine, pull the
    battery, move the jumper position for ten seconds, reset jumper, reinstall
    battery). At that point all that would happen when I powered up the machine
    is that the fans would all power up, the HDD and CD lights would come on,
    and the green light on the MB would come on. Nothing else happened (no
    beeps, blank screen). I tried reseating all connections. I tried only using
    one stick of memory (trying all combinations of slots and alternating which
    stick I used). I did not have by voltmeter at work so I couldn't check the
    battery voltage or the output on the power supply. I am hoping someone here
    has a suggestion as to what to try next. Also, FWIW, the BIOS on this
    machine has never been flashed; I wasn't doing anything to the machine when
    this happened, as this apparently occurred sometime during the night.

    TIA.

    Bob Horton, Feb 9, 2007

  2. Bob Horton

    Paul G Guest

    Paul G, Feb 10, 2007

  3. Bob Horton

    Bob Horton Guest

    Thanks Paul. I am a member of Experts Exchange, so I had checked out that
    lead. I picked up a battery today and will try it tomorrow. I would be
    (pleasantly!) surprised if a one year old battery died, but it sure beats
    the alternatives. I', also taking my multi-meter so I can thoroughly check
    out the power supply. It figures that this would be my own personal
    machine, thus the Sunday OT!

    Bob Horton, Feb 10, 2007
  4. Bob Horton

    Bill Guest

    <snip>

    I won't be a bit surprised if it says KTS on the back of the battery
    and it's your problem. Crappiest batteries in the world. I've seen them
    dead in brand new boards. Anymore I just rip it out if it says KTS on
    it and replace it with a Duracell, Panasonic, or Eveready.

    Bill

    Bill, Feb 11, 2007
  5. Bob Horton

    Bob Horton Guest

    Well, no joy. The battery was at 3.15 volts. I changed it anyway but as
    you would expect, nothing happened. I took the machine down to the MB, a
    stick of known-good 512 RAM, the video card, the HDD's, the DVD, and the
    floppy and nothing happened. I checked out the power supply with the
    voltmeter and everything looked OK there. Watching closely, though, the
    busy light on the floppy never comes on now (it did when this whole thing
    started). The floppy has 5 volts on one side of the power cord and 12 volts
    on the other and the cabling is correct (heck, it worked for a year). I
    tried once more to reseat all the cables and no joy. I took a look at the
    processor and there is no visual sign of overheating. My guess at this
    point is that the board is dead. It is just now coming up on a year old, so
    I guess I'll see what ASUS has to say on this. Any other suggestions are
    gratefully appreciated. Once again, TIA (and thanks again to all who have
    helped thus far).

    Bob Horton, Feb 11, 2007
  6. Bob Horton

    Bill Guest

    Sorry to hear that, sometimes feces occurs. I'd get rolling on the rma
    before it' goes out of warranty. Worse comes to worse at least the
    board is still being sold so there would be a minimum amount of
    problems in replacing your broken one.

    Bill

    Bill, Feb 12, 2007
  7. Bob Horton

    Paul G Guest

    There's a chance it might be a bad BIOS. Is there a local computer
    store that might sell this particular mobo? If so, go buy a new one
    and replace the BIOS to see if it migh work.

    However, I think it might be best to just RMA the board before the
    warranty runs out.

    In any case, good luck.

    Paul G, Feb 12, 2007
  8. Bob Horton

    Bob Horton Guest

    Well, things just keep getting weirder. I bought another one of the boards
    (identical). I put everything back together exactly as it was before. The
    machine posted, then went into Windows. It loaded about halfway through
    then through up a BSOD. The error was non-informative (just a "stop"
    message with a bunch of numbers and no text). On the re-boot, I got the
    "bad boot sector" message again!!! I have let the thing try to reinstall
    the BIOS a least a dozen times with no joy. I even re-named the latest BIOS
    release to the default name and let it install the BIOS from the floppy with
    no joy. I am afraid to try the CMOS reset procedure, as last time I did
    that I wound up with a machine that would do nothing. I have no clue as to
    what to try next. I am very open to suggestions. I have never experienced
    anything like this. I don't think I've ever been at a point with a computer
    where I had no idea what to even try next. Suggestions please! TIA!

    Bob Horton, Feb 12, 2007
  9. Bob Horton

    Bob Horton Guest

    Ignoring etiquette, I'm responding to my own post here as a kind of "bump".
    I've had to go out of town on an unplanned trip and haven't been at the
    machine since my post mid-day yesterday. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Is it possible that a malfunctioning device (like a video card or something)
    is frying the MB?

    As a follow-up (and I realize this might be better posted on a MS group),
    based on experience does anyone know what would be the chances of me winding
    up with a functioning OS and functioning installed programs if I installed a
    new socket 2 Asus board and AMD processor into my current system? As a
    precaution I would also change the power supply.

    Again, TIA for any suggestions from anyone.

    Bob Horton, Feb 14, 2007
  10. Bob Horton

    Guest Guest

    Hi:

    I installed 2 of these motherboards when they first came out. An odd
    thing you had to do was to enable the Parallel Port in BIOS Setup
    whether you were going to be using it or not.
    I 've never spotted an admitted fix for this in any BIOS flash or
    nVidia software update so I've just left the port enabled for no other
    reason.

    Give that a shot.

    Happy trailz,

    Guest, Feb 14, 2007
  11. Bob Horton

    Bob Horton Guest

    Man, I'd kill to get to the BIOS setup, but you can't get there. The only
    place you can get to is some kind of built-in utility that tries to correct
    the BIOS check-sum error. It is impossible to get anywhere else -- no DOS
    boot disks, no BIOS or RAID setup screens; nothing. It will read the "A"
    drive, but only to look fro the BIOS file. I've tried every key combo known
    to mankind. When it got to this point on the first MB, I did the CMOS
    routine then I would up with a board that did nothing put power fans and
    lights. Having said all that, thanks for the suggestion and everyone,
    PLEASE keep them coming. TIA once more!

    Bob Horton, Feb 14, 2007
  12. Bob Horton

    Paul G Guest

    Hi Bob,

    Since you had the same problem with the second board, I would
    narrow down the list of probable causes to the following:

    (1) Bad power supply,
    (2) Bad memory,
    (3) Bad video card.

    I'm leaning more towards either (1) or (2). I recommend that you
    borrow a power supply from a friend and try it out. Also, make
    sure you don't connect a power cable to the video card .

    Could you please list the make and model of each of the 3 parts above?

    Take care,
    Paul

    Paul G, Feb 16, 2007
  13. Bob Horton

    Bob Horton Guest

    Bob Horton, Feb 16, 2007
  14. Bob Horton

    Paul G Guest

    Hi Bob,

    Glad to hear that you got the problem fixed. If you don't mind me
    asking, what brand is the defective memory? Some memory manufacturers
    have a lifetime warranty for their high-end memory. Maybe you
    can have those 2 sticks replaced for free.

    Take care,
    Paul

    Paul G, Feb 17, 2007
  15. Bob Horton

    Bob Horton Guest

    Great minds thinking alike and all -- the memory was Centon's lifetime
    guarantee stuff. I called them yesterday and got an RMA. They said they
    have to look at them but assuming they show no signs of abuse (they don't,
    as they weren't abused!), they'll send replacements in the next couple of
    weeks.

    Bob Horton, Feb 17, 2007
  16. Bob Horton

    Bob Horton Guest

    <snip>

    Just to close this thread off, I got an email from Centon today saying that
    they have shipped two new sticks of memory to me. It appears, at least in
    this case, that they have lived up to their warranty responsibility.

    Bob Horton, Feb 20, 2007
  17. Bob Horton

    pooeybear Guest

    I have a similar issue but with the A8N-Sli Premium and again it was
    working for over a year, I moved house and left alone for 4 months. I
    powered up recently and no output to monitor, disks and cdrom do spin.
    I narrowed this to the PS2 ports (for some reason) tried another
    keyboard and it booted. Got to the windows login screen and logged
    in. The machine froze - no keyboard or mouse input. I restarted and
    the same post issue happened again. The keyboard lights wont flash
    (as it does initially on post). I have a feeling the PS2 connectors
    are damaged or on board. USB keyboard doesnt work either (might be
    disabled). I cant remember my post settings and cant get in to
    retry. I may have to source another m/board. I could try resetting
    CMOS so may try this soon.

    pooeybear, Feb 22, 2007