A8N32-SLI Premium - removeable drive tagged as unremoveable ?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by ScottHW, Aug 28, 2006.

  1. ScottHW

    ScottHW Guest

    In my A8N32-SLI Premium I have three identical Maxtor 500 GB SATA II
    drives, two internal and one in a removeable tray. The "removeable"
    one is the ONLY one that does not show up under Safely Remove Hardware.
    Looking in device manager, under Policies, Write Caching and Safe
    Removal I see the 2 internal drives are checked as Optimize for
    Performance, which makes sense, but the other option "Optimize for
    Quick Removal" is available for me to check (which I won't do, but the
    verbage indicates that is what to check if you want to remove it, as in
    "Hot Swappable" I suppose). The drive in the removable tray though,
    also has "Optimize for Performance" checked, but both these buttons are
    disabled (grayed out) so I can't change it, and there is an extra
    checkbox labeled "Enable Write Caching on the Disk". I unchecked it
    though it didn't enable the other buttons, even after a reboot. Not
    sure what the effective difference is between "Enable Write Caching on
    the Disk" and the caching that happens with just the "Optimize for
    Performance" function. Anyway, can't figure out why the one drive that
    SHOULD be removable is not, and the two I would never want to remove
    while running are. I have seen other discussion about this problem,
    and there doesn't seem to be a clear path out of this issue. Any ideas
    ?

    Thanks,
    Scott

    ScottHW, Aug 28, 2006

  2. ScottHW

    Zadok Guest

    Assuming WinXP: be sure the system is not using the drive for anything
    like swap space and system restore is not enabled on the drive.

    -- Zadok

    Zadok, Aug 28, 2006

  3. ScottHW

    ScottHW Guest

    (Win XP Pro SP2)

    Not a swap drive but... Omigod, yes, ALL drives are being checkpointed.
    I turned them ALL off (using Acronis TI to handle this). It may be
    a day or two before I can reboot and see if any of this changes, as I
    am running VMware and multiple OSs carrying on several functions, so
    not easy to reboot.

    Hmmm - But... since all of them were being checkpointed, and the two
    internal WERE flagged as removable, I am not sure this is going to
    change anything, except I turned off a space hog I didn't need.

    Thanks,
    Scott

    ScottHW, Aug 28, 2006
  4. Is that "removable tray" an internal caddy system or is it totally external,
    connected through USB, firewire or eSATA?

    If that "removable tray" is an internal disk caddy system (ie. connected
    directly to the IDE or SATA connections on MB), they USUALLY are NOT hot
    swappable. The tray is just for convenience, to change OS or storage media,
    BUT NOT ON THE FLY. It always necessitates a power-down....

    This an internal caddy system (there's 2 on the picture, to show the back
    panel):
    http://www.tietoasema.fi/eshop/?sid=1&cid=5&gid=131&sgid=13105&vid=&pcode=DK-100&whid=

    (sorry for the language, but a quick search didn't get me any, so I picked
    on I new)

    --
    Tumppi
    =================================

    Thomas Wendell, Aug 28, 2006
  5. ScottHW

    RJT Guest

    I've got three drives connected, all directly to the nForce SATA ports.
    Two are in a RAID 0 config, one is JBOD. All three drives are set
    "optimized for performance" yet have the buttons you mention greyed out.
    Oddly enough though, all three drives appear as removable in the system
    tray icon list. Maybe it's the tray that has some onboard hardware
    interfering with the hotswapability of the mobo...

    Good luck

    RJT

    RJT, Aug 28, 2006
  6. ScottHW

    ScottHW Guest

    Yes, an internal caddy system, not external. OK, thanks for the tip.
    It threw me off that the two main internal drives DO show as removable
    though - doesn't make sense, but if others have seen the same thing,
    then I can settle for that, and just give up on it.

    Scott

    ScottHW, Aug 29, 2006