A8N32-SLI Premium - why does my removable disk tray show as drive 0 ?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by ScottHW, Aug 29, 2006.

  1. ScottHW

    ScottHW Guest

    I have three 500GB SATA II drives, two internal and one in a removable
    tray (as you may have seen described in another recent post). When the
    removable drive is mounted it shows as disk 0 in Disk Manager (XP Pro
    SP2), When it is removed the main boot drive moves into "Disk 0"
    position. Makes no sense as I have that removable tray plugged into
    SATA 4 connector on the mobo. Any idea why the mobo and/or OS insists
    on showing the (in my opinion) wrong drive as Disk 0 ? On occassion
    (not every time, don''t understand the pattern) when the removable tray
    was not loaded, when booting, right after POST I get

    No OS found.

    If I press Enter, it usually finds it anyway and continues, but a few
    times I have had to boot with my Acronis Disk Director CD and boot from
    that. As long as that removable tray is loaded, this doesn't happen.

    Seems the boot drive (plugged into SATA 1), should show as Disk 0.
    Maybe the numbering of those SATA connectors is for convenience only
    and don't signify any sort of drive chain order...

    Thanks,
    Scott

    ScottHW, Aug 29, 2006

  2. ScottHW

    Michael Chan Guest

    In BIOS, please check the boot sequence. You must have the
    configuration to boot from removable first.

    Michael

    Michael Chan, Aug 30, 2006