    One more question. I am pretty sure this board does not have onboard
    firewire. If I overlooked it, can you let me know?

    Thanks in advance.

    Robbie, Feb 5, 2006

  2. Robbie

    Paul Guest

    The jumper plugs on the FP_AUDIO header, maintain the continuity
    of the audio signal that goes to the green (lime) connector on
    the back of the computer. If you aren't using front panel audio,
    the two jumper plugs must stay in place, if you want the green
    line_out connector on the back of the computer to work.

    There are a few different wire combinations available on computer
    cases. There are non-Intel compliant setups and ones that are
    Intel compliant.

    Perhaps the worst setup consists of the following, L_EAR, R_EAR,
    GND_EAR, MIC, MIC_PWR, MIC_GND. The problem with this setup, is
    there are two ground wires. The FP_AUDIO header only has one
    AGND pin on it, and unless the GND_EAR and the MIC_GND are joined
    at the computer case, you may have a problem finding room for
    the second ground wire. In a situation like that, all you can do
    is connect one of the computer case GND wires to AGND, and hope
    the grounds are common at the front panel audio.

    To be Intel compatible, there should be two wires per channel
    on the headphone jack. One is the signal from the AC97 codec,
    and one is a return line that goes to the green lineout on the
    back of the computer. The two wires take the place of one
    jumper plug. When your headphones are removed from the headphone
    jack, the two wires are connected together at the jack, and that
    allows the lineout signal to reach the green jack on the back.
    When the headphones are inserted, the connection between the two
    wires per each channel is broken, and the insertion of the
    headphones "mutes" the rear output. That is why there is all this
    crazy jumper plug jazz - it is to allow a "muting" feature to be
    enabled on the front audio headphone jack.

    Now, down to the fun. First we wire up a cheap five wire front
    audio. The assumption here, is there are no return lines from the
    headphone jack, and there is only one GND wire coming from the
    computer case. When you remove the two jumpers, and connect
    R_EAR and L_EAR, the green lineout on the back of the computer
    will stop working, because there is no path for the signal to
    get to BLINE_OUT_R and BLINE_OUT_L

                        FP_AUDIO (non-Intel front panel)

    MIC <------> MIC2    AGND <------> MIC GROUND
    MICBIAS  <------>MICPWR    +5VA
    R_EAR <---> Line out_R    BLINE_OUT_R
                        NC
    L_EAR <---> Line out_L   BLINE_OUT_L

    If, instead, we had a seven wire front panel audio, that would
    be "Intel compatible", and the mute function for the rear lineout
    would work. Again, the two jumpers are removed, and the seven
    wires put in place. The rear lineout jack works whenever
    the front headphones are unplugged.

                        FP_AUDIO (Intel front panel)

    MIC <------> MIC2    AGND <------> MIC GROUND
    MICBIAS  <------>MICPWR    +5VA
    R_EAR <---> Line out_R    BLINE_OUT_R <---> R_EAR_RETURN
                        NC
    L_EAR <---> Line out_L   BLINE_OUT_L <---> L_EAR_RETURN

    So, all you have to do, is read the names on the wires that
    come with your computer case, and try and line them up with
    the goofy names I made up. If you'd said what the names on
    the wires were, this would have been a lot easier.

    The orientation of FP_AUDIO on your motherboard, is a 180 degree
    rotation of the above diagram. Since I copied this from a previous
    posting, I didn't waste time rotating the diagram.

    Paul

    Paul, Feb 6, 2006

  3. Robbie

    Robbie Guest

    Thanks so much for the information! I will give it a shot now.

    Robbie, Feb 6, 2006