    Is it because of the IDE DVD's? Is there a way around it?

    It's only a minor issue, but it's an annoyance.

    Any help or wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

    Trevor.D.Matthews, Apr 10, 2006

  2. If it really bothers you, it's possible to change the letter
    designations for drives in Win XP. You may need some utility to do
    it.... I use Partition Magic v. 8 to set up all my partitions, and PM
    has a routine within it for resetting the drive letter designations.
    Charlie Hoffpauir
    Message board:
    http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec?htx=board&r=rw&p=surnames.hoffpauir
    Mail list:
    http://lists.rootsweb.com/index/surname/h/hoffpauir.html

    Charlie Hoffpauir, Apr 10, 2006

  3. 1 Important fact:

    The card reader is showing up as drives C: & D:

    I will try to re-install with them disconnected and see if the SATA
    drives become C: & D: or it the IDE DVD's take over that spot.

    If IDE's take C: & D: anyone know how to force the SATAs to become the
    first drives? I need the DVDs to install the OS.

    Trevor.D.Matthews, Apr 10, 2006
  4. Trevor.D.Matthews

    old man Guest

    Personnally when I've had a sys with multiple drives I've allways
    disconnected all except the one I want as C and a single cd/dvd, then
    connected the other hd's, rebooted, shutdown then connected other drives. -
    about the only successfull way I've found to get drive letters as I want

    old man, Apr 10, 2006
  5. Trevor.D.Matthews

    RJT Guest

    Indeed, best to install with only the drive you want connected, then
    when XP is installed, shut down, connect the others, and reboot. The
    drive you installed on will then automatically be C: (and if it has more
    partitions, these will show up as D, E etc). The drives that are
    connected later will be added after the last letter used on the first
    drive, which I find easiest.

    RJT

    RJT, Apr 10, 2006
  6. Thanks all - I will update with my success/failure info for future
    reference

    Trevor.D.Matthews, Apr 10, 2006