    just hate the things?

    A8S-X Motherboard was cheap, perhaps I should have added $75 and went
    for a better board?

    Bob Brown, Jun 22, 2006

  2. Bob Brown

    Paul Guest

    There are only 38 threads in the Asus-hosted forums:

    http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.asp...d=1&model=A8S-X&page_size=100&page=1&count=38

    Other boards have hundreds or thousands of threads.

    I would say it isn't a popular board. Depending on your level of
    skill, this may be an issue or not be an issue. If you are a
    good debugger of problems on your own, there is no need to be
    concerned with the popularity of a motherboard. If every
    computer build you do, is one problem after another, and you
    need a lot of help from newsgroups or forums, then owning
    an unpopular board is a liability.

    Remember that SIS chipsets are used in commodity computers from
    HP, Dell, Gateway and the like. They would not use chipsets that
    are broken, because the warranty returns would kill all their
    profit. I don't see a particular reason to fear the SIS chipsets,
    as long as you don't see any recurring problem reports.

    You can also get some feedback here. Note that, some whiners
    who file reports here, file multiple reports about their
    experience. You should be able to detect which people repeated
    their review, for whatever reason. The comments here, could be
    about the shipping BIOS version, and what processors it supports.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustRatingReview.asp?Item=N82E16813131525

    That is why there is this page. The CPUsupport page allows you to
    see which BIOS release is required to run a given version of
    processor. This frame is for A8S-X:

    http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/...spx?type=1&name=A8S-X&SLanguage=en-us&cache=1

    In the returned results, BIOS 0601 is sufficient for all processors
    except an FX-60.

    Athlon 64 FX-60 (rev.E6) (Socket939) ALL 0706

    The 0601 BIOS was released Nov10/2005, so at least that BIOS version
    should be shipped with the motherboard, if you buy from a high
    volume retailer.

    Paul

    Paul, Jun 23, 2006

  3. Bob Brown