    driver from ASUS's website, but still nothing. It's like the driver
    package is missing a driver.

    Any ideas?

    SepticTank, Aug 29, 2005

  2. SepticTank

    fasteddy Guest

    Was it this one?
    http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/ide/pdc20378/378ata_100104528.zip
    http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/ide/pdc20378/378ata_100104528.zip
    http://dlsvr02.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/ide/pdc20378/378ata_100104528.zip
    http://www.asus.com.cn/pub/ASUS/misc/ide/pdc20378/378ata_100104528.zip

    I'd uninstall the device again and install the driver from one of the above
    links.
    Maybe, do it in safe mode and update the current driver manually, pointing
    the folder yourself.
    hth
    Good luck
    Eddy

    fasteddy, Aug 30, 2005

  3. SepticTank

    Paul Guest

    The Promise driver is what helps make a proper entry in
    Device Manager, for the chip. Before the driver is installed,
    it'll be some kind of unknown storage device. When either the
    ATA or the RAID driver is used, I think both of those are
    SCSI Miniport drivers, meaning they make the storage device
    appear as "pseudo-SCSI".

    One feature of SCSI is a linear address space. There is no
    notion of CHS (cylinder, head, sector). A lot of devices can
    be fitted to use the SCSI style command structure, and the
    drivers job is to make a shim between the hardware, and what
    the system thinks is a SCSI device.

    Ordinary disks take IRQ14 and IRQ15, and fixed blocks of I/O
    addresses. If other storage devices come "late to the party",
    there is no more room in the vanilla IDE world for them. Thus,
    they end up being declared as SCSI devices, and the OS calls
    them using a SCSICMD type structure.

    When you download the Promise driver, look for the .INF file
    in the install directory. There are some declaration strings
    in the .INF file, and that can be what you are seeing in the
    Device Manager.

    378ata_100104528
    UlSata.inf
    PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_3373.DeviceDesc="WinXP Promise SATA378 (tm) IDE
    Controller"
    Promise_Sata_ControllerDesc= "Promise SATA Console SCSI Processor"

    378raid_100137
    fasttx2k.INF
    PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_3373.DeviceDesc="WinXP Promise FastTrak 378 (tm)
    Controller"
    Promise_Raid_ControllerDesc= "WinXP Promise RAID Console SCSI
    Processor Device"

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Aug 30, 2005