A8V Deluxe and random freezes - help appreciated!

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Dave Hanson, May 8, 2005.

  1. Dave Hanson

    Dave Hanson Guest

    Hi,

    I built a PC a few weeks ago and have been having trouble with random
    freezes of 10-15 secs where the computer just locks up (can't move the
    cursor etc.) and then unfreezes and everything is ok again.

    Nothing specific seems to cause it - it can occur when playing games or
    simply moving the cursor across the desktop. I've tested the CPU with
    Prime95 for 20+ hours with no errors and the memory with memtest - again
    with no errors reported. I've spent weeks trawling through various
    forums trying different things eg. disabling Fastwrite, reducing AGP
    aperture size, reinstalling windows etc. but the problem still persists.

    I also borrowed a friends MSI k8n Neo2 platinum motherboard and had the
    same problem but more severe.

    My specs are as follows:

    Asus A8V Deluxe (Bios 1010)
    AMD Athlon 64 3200+
    Radeon 9800 Pro (Catalyst 5.4)
    Pioneer DVR-109 DVD-RW
    Plextor PX-116A3 DVD-ROM
    Western Digital 120GB Hard Drive
    2 x 512MB Crucial CT6464Z40B memory
    Windows XP SP2
    550W Power Supply

    Any help would be much appreciated!

    Thanks,

    Dave

    Dave Hanson, May 8, 2005

  2. Dave Hanson

    Ron Guest

    Hi Dave,

    I have exactly the same problem as you have and have searched very hard and
    very long for what's causing the random freezes. After having done the same
    things as you have and much more I finally discovered it has in my case
    probably something to do with the combination of A7N8X-E deluxe and the
    Plextor PX-116A3. Because once I disconnect the drive the freezing stops.
    Disabling the drive in Windows makes the freezing stop as well. The program
    'Process Explorer' indicates a processor usage of nearly 100% during a
    freeze and it says it is caused by an 'interrupt'. The occurence is often
    accopanied by one or more 'clicks' coming from from the speakers right?
    It may be the same in your case. Please let me know so perhaps we can help
    eachother with this very annoying problem.

    TIA,
    Ron.

    Ron, May 8, 2005

  3. Dave Hanson

    Dave Hanson Guest

    Hi Ron,

    Thanks for the advice! I did as you suggested and disabled the Plextor
    drive and for the past 3 hours NO FREEZES!! It's too early to say
    whether this is definitely the cause of the problem as sometimes you'd
    get half a dozen freezes in the space of an hour and sometimes you could
    go an hour or two without any freeze whatsoever. 3 hours though without
    a freeze would be very unusual for this pc so fingers crossed!

    Re. the clicking the sound well, mine was more a "stuttering" sound as if
    caught in an infinite loop.... Also, I've noticed that when each freeze
    finally clears the hard drive is accessed briefly.

    Thanks again for the info! Will post another update later...

    Cheers,

    Dave

    Dave Hanson, May 9, 2005
  4. Dave Hanson

    BioHazard2k Guest

    Say, I’m having a similar problem where my computer freezes for a
    short time like 5-30 seconds and then resumes like nothing happened.
    No errors, no warnings, no nothing!
    Although this problem doesn’t happen that often. Sometimes it happens
    once a week, other times it happens 5 times a day.

    So my question to you is...
    When this was happening to you how often did it happen?

    I’m just trying to determine if you’re having the same problem as me

    BioHaz

    Specs as follows...
    MSI K8T Neo FIS2R (2.20 BIOS) ~ Athlon 64 3200+ w/ Tt Venus 12 HSF ~
    Corsair 1024MB DDR-PC3200 XMS C2 ~ BFG Geforce 6800 GT 256MB DDR3 ~
    Western Digital Sata Raptor 74 GB 10000 RPM W/8MB Cache ~ Western
    Digital Sata 250 GB 7200 RPM W/8MB Cache ~ NEC 8x DVD+/-RW ~ Pioneer
    16x DVD ~ Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Gamer ~ Enermax 465watt PSU

    BioHazard2k, May 22, 2005
  5. Dave Hanson

    Ron Guest

    Say, I’m having a similar problem where my computer freezes for a

    Hi Biohazard,
    In my case the occurences looked very similar to yours except that the
    freezes did certainly not last for 30 seconds, 10 seconds at most and more
    often than once a week. In my case the Plextor drive definately caused the
    problem since I mailed Plextor and they send me a firmware upgrade which
    resolved my problem.
    So perhaps your problem may have a different source. At least you could try
    disconnecting/disabling drives and see what happens.
    Good luck,
    Ron.

    Ron, May 22, 2005
  6. Dave Hanson

    Mark A Guest

    Plextor firmware upgrades can be downloaded from their website.

    Mark A, May 22, 2005
  7. Dave Hanson

    formerprof Guest

    I had similar freezes with an A8V Deluxe. They ended when I replaced the
    SATA cable of one of my Seagate drives. I'd recommend first disconnecting
    and then reseating all drive cables (at both ends). If that fails,
    disconnect each drive in turn to see if one of them is being troublesome.
    The cable is the most likely culprit, but it's possible that you have a
    faulty drive. SATA-1 connectors don't seem especially secure to me in any
    event.

    HTH

    formerprof

    formerprof, May 22, 2005
  8. Dave Hanson

    Ron Guest

    Not for the PX-116A model Mark.

    Ron, May 22, 2005
  9. Dave Hanson

    Mark A Guest

    Mark A, May 22, 2005
  10. Dave Hanson

    BioHazard2k Guest

    I disabled all my dvd drives and so far I haven’t had the freeze.
    But then again, it’s only been 1 day. So I wouldn’t know for sure
    until a week or more.

    Now that I think about it... It probably wasn’t as long as 30 seconds,
    maybe 20? It varied from time to time.

    I’m starting to think my problem is memory related.
    I was playing HL2 over the weekend and it was crashing like crazy,
    stating it was a memory error. So I removed the older of the two ddr
    sticks and viola it no longer crashes.

    So now it’s the waiting game again...

    If any of you have any other suggestions please reply,
    Thx,
    BioHaz

    BioHazard2k, May 23, 2005