    Probably you meant that the batch contains a prior CD so that it will always
    be correct, but your example seems backwards, should be CD and then xcopy
    from there? We dont have to restore the /s, that's not an actual CD change.

    Wayne Fulton, Mar 8, 2005

  2. Donald Gray

    Donald Gray Guest

    According to my DOS 5 manual states that if your use the /e (copy
    empty directory), then you MUST use the /s switch too. the /s on its
    own will only copy directories and subdirectories that have files in
    'em.

    Without /s xcopy will only work within a single directory.

    What is a /y switch (a typo that should read /d ??)
    OK - didn't know that...
    Geeeee - I should have thought about that - standard VB syntax! except
    dos came first!

    []
    No sweat - managed to cut the wait down to about 30 seconds using
    Ctrl-Break...

    Chkdsk et al: I have had 4 viruses and one nasty Trojan (even with
    Norton, Giant Anti-spy, Registry Mechanic and Zone Alarm4 and a
    massive condom over the machine) that has corrupted may of my files
    causing the machine to freeze but the drives 'hunting' in a rhythmic
    fashion. the only way to get control back is to hit the off
    button/reset. this, in turn, may have caused interlacing issued with
    raid 0. Because this, I want to start afresh & whilst I'm about it
    reconfigure the drives to what I call "Conventional" config!!!!

    The copy/paste or the DOS Batch xcopy grind to a halt when given a
    corrupt file to copy. and with so many corrupt files, it has been a
    nightmare to find them and delete them but with thanks to your
    guidance all is now sorted via the xcopy process. I shall run that on
    a twice daily basis (or even more if needs be)

    Another question if I may:

    JBOD: there is an ambiguous definition that gives the size as the sum
    of all drives in the JBOD "array".

    Would this mean that if I were to set up 2 x 200 Gb drives as JBOD,
    they would be seen as, say, C drive at 400 Gb
    OR
    C drive at 200 Gb and D drive at 200 Gb?

    Maybe it will be obvious when I do the change over!!!!
    --
    Donald Gray
    www.odcombe.demon.co.uk

    Donald Gray, Mar 8, 2005

  3. Donald Gray

    Wayne Fulton Guest

    OK, I'm not sure, and both cant ever hurt. I cant remember from Dos 5, but
    its possible that XP is different? I was going by the XP Help (just type
    XCOPY /? on command line) which says:

    /E Copies directories and subdirectories, including empty ones.
    Same as /S /E. May be used to modify /T.

    /Y Suppresses prompting to confirm you want to overwrite an
    existing destination file.
    /-Y Causes prompting to confirm you want to overwrite an
    existing destination file.

    Sounds like quite a story, I'm sorry to hear it. However it still seems a
    good idea to address and correct it. Perhaps its time to reformat, and
    restore from Ghost.

    I have never used JBOD, but my understanding is that you get ONE huge disk
    that is the size of the sum of the several (otherwise, what would be the
    difference?) Maybe needed for some special application, like a government
    data base, but for most of us, I dont see the need of it.

    Wayne Fulton, Mar 8, 2005
  4. Donald Gray

    Donald Gray Guest

    Must be 'coz no reference to a /y switch in xcopy in the dos5 manual.
    Again, I never thought of xp help when referring back to DOS commands.
    I just reached back for the dusty old
    I shall have a look at the XP files....[]
    --
    Donald Gray
    www.odcombe.demon.co.uk

    Donald Gray, Mar 8, 2005
  5. Donald Gray

    Donald Gray Guest

    []
    Ouch!

    If you want the truth, it was just laziness... I happened to be in
    that directory when I did the prog... no other reason!

    You are absolutely correct - we should never assume - especially when
    debugging a bugger of a machine!

    I hang my head in shame, tail between legs and exit stage left,
    groveling all the way :=}

    Wayne, its been a delight to chat...
    --
    Donald Gray
    www.odcombe.demon.co.uk

    Donald Gray, Mar 8, 2005
  6. Donald Gray

    Wayne Fulton Guest

    Yeah, it sounds like it :) Sorry, I didnt mean it that way, was just hoping
    to be helpful. Looking back now, it probably stemmed from missing quotes
    being a problem on the source too.

    Instead of being optimistic, programmers develop this flaw in character of
    always looking for anything might possibly might go wrong. Makes them gloomy
    in society, but the code usually works better that way :)

    Wayne Fulton, Mar 8, 2005
  7. Donald Gray

    Donald Gray Guest

    Nahhhh - I didn't take it in the way you thought - trouble with
    typing, you can't get the intonation...

    Machine now crashing 3 times out of 4 boots now, so I may have to do
    the biz sooner than later. Just taken me an hour to 'export' outlook
    files (1000+ emails and 521 addresses in the book + appointments et
    al!)

    I still want to retrieve other valuable data (such as DOOM 3 Levels)
    before I do the Format C jobby!!!!

    I really do appreciate the time and trouble you have gone to, to help
    me. And indeed the others who gave valuable guidance...

    I'll catch you later - how much later depends on Uncle SATA!

    Cheers...

    --
    Donald Gray
    www.odcombe.demon.co.uk

    Donald Gray, Mar 9, 2005
  8. Donald Gray

    Donald Gray Guest

    Hi Wayne (and Paul, Ben & the KC man)
    A big THANK YOU for all your help, I am now up and running with RAID
    consigned to the history file.

    2 x 200Gb sitting on sata ch0 & ch1, looking as C & F - I would like
    to have had them as C & D but...

    All I have to do now is rebuild the machine. I followed the mobo
    manual and stripped it down as a bare bones machine - Audigy 2zs, WiFi
    board, additional usb2 board etc needs putting back, the appropriate
    drivers & Software for them.

    Next job - install firewall (AV already in!) Giant Antispy and Ghost.
    The latter will be in conjunction with your idea of using a batch file
    to do the initial backup and then incremental backups....

    I certainly learned much over the last 48 hours or so.... Thanks
    again.
    --
    Donald Gray
    www.odcombe.demon.co.uk

    Donald Gray, Mar 10, 2005
  9. Donald Gray

    KC Computers Guest

    Hi Wayne (and Paul, Ben & the KC man)
    You can change the drive letters of your drives by going into Control Panel/
    Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Storage/Disk Management.
    Right click on each drive and you will see that option. You
    should move your optical drive letters down the list first
    so you can open up the D: letter for your 2nd hard drive.

    KC Computers, Mar 10, 2005
  10. Donald Gray

    Donald Gray Guest

    Hi Kevin
    Thank you for the comment. I had thought of that but read somewhere
    that re-assigning optical drive letters can lead to problems with some
    software looking for the drive from which it was installed. I then
    decided that I can put up with second hard drive being F. I intend it
    being the internal 'Backup' drive. I was only being an 'old dog' but I
    guess I have to learn the new trick!
    --
    Donald Gray
    www.odcombe.demon.co.uk

    Donald Gray, Mar 11, 2005
  11. Donald Gray

    Donald Gray Guest

    The machine is almost rebuilt...

    I have a problem/query reference "run.exe". Is this a legitimate file
    or is it a 'nasty'? Can anyone shed light on this please. see below

    history:
    Machine was stripped down of all non essential peripherals.
    reconfigured from Raid0 to 2 conventional 2 x sata drives.
    ex raid drives partitioned & formatted.
    used ASUS and Via branded drivers etc and all is well.
    installed XP Home & activated
    upgraded to XP Home sp2
    installed my ISP's adsl kit to get on Internet
    installed Forte Agent News reader

    At this moment in time those are the only programmes *I* have put on
    the machine. Certainly no key logger or the like that I know of.

    I then went on line and XP Firewall reported that run.exe was trying
    to access Internet.

    I then installed Zone Alarm Pro 5 - That reports same thing but with
    more detail. It wants to log on to 163.17.30.18 port 6444 (Somewhere
    in Australia)

    A google search shows run.exe could be part of Bedrill Trojan.
    Associated Trojan files: sisinfo.exe, mkernel.dll,mcom.dll and
    inst.exe were not present on my system (Searched hidden files as well)
    so I feel it is not a Trojan.

    run.exe is sitting comfortably in C:\windows\system32 - the instant I
    am logged on to Internet it wants access - so far denied.

    Advice please...
    Is it benign or nasty?
    which programme put it on the machine?
    what does it do?

    Am I getting paranoid now? YES! [:=]]]]] (tin hat time!)

    --
    Donald Gray
    www.odcombe.demon.co.uk

    Donald Gray, Mar 11, 2005
  12. Donald Gray

    Donald Gray Guest

    Correction:
    sisinfo.exe should read sysinfo.exe
    --
    Donald Gray
    www.odcombe.demon.co.uk

    Donald Gray, Mar 11, 2005
  13. Donald Gray

    Wayne Fulton Guest

    Dont know, but I dont have any file named run.exe on my XP Home SP2
    system.

    Wayne Fulton, Mar 11, 2005
  14. Donald Gray

    Wayne Fulton Guest

    Some software does, but it will also have a Browse button so that their file
    dialog can always be updated to the new drive letter, when and if it comes up.

    Wayne Fulton, Mar 11, 2005
  15. Donald Gray

    Donald Gray Guest

    Thanks for the info. I have it blocked in Zone Alarm from access to
    the net. Its name worries me!

    I think I shall rename it run.exeOLD and leave it there for a while
    and see if anything pops up to gripe about it missing, then later
    trash it.

    Cheers

    --
    Donald Gray
    www.odcombe.demon.co.uk

    Donald Gray, Mar 12, 2005
  16. Donald Gray

    Wayne Fulton Guest

    I assume you have seen this:

    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/backdoor.stanex.
    html

    However it says it installs at \windows\run.exe, and other places too.
    Maybe a variation, but file size 408730 bytes may indicate if same or
    not?

    I was puzzled, you said XP Firewall blocked it, but I didnt think XP
    firewall blocked outgoing?

    Wayne Fulton, Mar 12, 2005
  17. Donald Gray

    Donald Gray Guest

    Hello Wayne
    No, I had not seen the symantec page - I shall have a look at it in a
    mo...Thanks for that one.

    The file size of the one on my machine is 146944. I have renamed it
    and nothing seems to be missing it.

    WRT XP firewall. In truth, I can not remember exactly what alerted me
    to the fact run.exe wanted access to Internet. At that time the only
    software on the machine was XP Home (First Edition), Via drivers etc,
    Demon Internet (My ISP) broadband access, & Forte Agent.

    I remember hitting the broadband access button, XP advisory popped up
    to say that I was connected. I then virtually immediately had
    'something' popup and advise that run.exe wanted access to Internet.
    There was an 'Allow/Deny' option..... I had ASSUMED that the
    'something' was the XP firewall. At that time, I had not installed
    Zone Alarm, Nor Norton AV. I was running bare bones machine & bare
    bones software - just enough to access this newsgroup to read this
    thread...

    I did a Google for 'run.exe' and all I could find was info about a key
    logger and a Trojan - neither of which had its associated files on the
    machine.

    Out of curiosity, if I find the source of the file, I'll let you know!

    Take care & Thanks

    --
    Donald Gray
    www.odcombe.demon.co.uk

    Donald Gray, Mar 13, 2005
  18. Donald Gray

    Donald Gray Guest

    No, its not there... BUT checking registry, I have fount:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run, a
    key: run = run.exe

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Krypton\"C-WINDOWS-System32-run.exe"
    key: K-Key = [8 digit hex number]

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Krypton\C-WINDOWS-System32-run.exe
    key: K-Key = [different 8 digit hex]

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Krypton 1728 "C-WINDOWS-System32-run.exe"
    key: K-Key = [another 8 digit hex]

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Krypton\run.exe"
    key: K-Key = [another 8 digit hex]

    Interesting dialog on: http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=12117

    Might be traces of a Trojan - dunno - I feel inclined to format C
    again and check registry at each stage of reinstall to find out where
    the little bugger is coming from!

    I'll let you know

    In the meanwhile, If anyone can shed any info on KRYPTON or RUN.EXE
    please post info - thanks
    --
    Donald Gray
    www.odcombe.demon.co.uk

    Donald Gray, Mar 13, 2005
  19. Donald Gray

    Donald Gray Guest

    Have now done so. I shall probably be doing a format C and doing a new
    installation in next few days... (XP sp 2 disk just arrived from
    Machine manufacturers - I'll use that rather than first edition and
    upgrade to sp2.)

    Cheers & Thanks
    --
    Donald Gray
    www.odcombe.demon.co.uk

    Donald Gray, Mar 13, 2005
  20. Donald Gray

    Ben Pope Guest

    You can do that yourself if you have a burner, it's called slipstreaming:

    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Mar 13, 2005