A8V or A8N. Which do you recommend ?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by =?iso-8859-1?Q?Nat=E9ag?=, Jul 8, 2005.

  1. A8V or A8N Which PCI_E do you recommend ?

    Tnaks for any advice.

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Nat=E9ag?=, Jul 8, 2005

  2. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Nat=E9ag?=

    Kokoro Guest

    In alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus, Natéag ordered an army of hamsters
    to type:

    A8V-E but thats only because I prefer VIA, literally chose which ever
    chipset manufaturer you prefer. I know most will say Nvidia.

    Kokoro, Jul 9, 2005

  3. A8V or A8N Which PCI_E do you recommend ?

    Tnaks for any advice.

    I agree with Kokoro that it's just a matter of your chipset preference, *except* for one issue that may be important to you. I recall seeing posts to the effect that, while the VIA K8T800 chipset boards and NF4 boards will accept the new dual core CPU's with just a BIOS upgrade, the VIA K8T890 (used in the Asus A8V-E) will not, AFAIK.

    If current of future use of a dual core CPU is something you are considering, stay away from the K8T890 chipset.

    Peter van der Goes, Jul 9, 2005
  4. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Nat=E9ag?=

    Nocturnal Guest

    I like nVidia's chipsets, so A8N it is.

    --
    Nocturnal

    http://www.spywaretalk.org

    Nocturnal, Jul 9, 2005
  5. Thanks to both of you.
    I now have a A7N8x-E-Deluxe which I do like.
    But I read on Asus Forum that so many
    buyers of the A8N boards have to return
    them, that I wonder if the same is true of
    A8V.

    I notice that on newer versions of the motherboard Asus has replaced the
    chipset fan with an heat pipe. They are more expensive,
    but I think I will look for those.

    As for dual-core, by the time I want to use them,
    I will have moved to a newer motherboard.

    Thanks again.

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Nat=E9ag?=, Jul 9, 2005
  6. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Nat=E9ag?=

    Nocturnal Guest

    Well you could always replace the loud and noisy fan with a Zalman NB47J passive northbridge cooler, that's what I did. All the premium adds is the ability to use SLI without some sort of jumper. It can be done within the BIOS now. Other than that it's almost the same thing as the Deluxe.

    --
    Nocturnal

    http://www.spywaretalk.org

    =?Windows-1252?Q?Nat=E9ag?=, Jul 9, 2005
  8. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Nat=E9ag?=

    tawpgk Guest

    I have a A8N-SLI Deluxe that I got back in December, I have had no problems with it, except for the noisy fan. I replaced with the Zalman chipset cooler with AS5 and its 2 degrees cooler than with the fan. Also put in a 7700 cu cpu cooler at the same time. Normal load is 33-35 which is about 2-3 degrees over ambient here in Las Vegas.

    --
    Tom

    tawpgk, Aug 2, 2005