A8V Promise annoyance.

Discussion in 'Asus' started by RonK, Nov 22, 2004.

  1. RonK

    RonK Guest

    I have the A8V Deluxe with a 160 gig Sata drive on the Via controller and
    another 160 gig Sata on the Promise controller.
    When I boot the system, the Via controller shows the hard drive immediately
    but when it's the Promise controllers turn it takes approx 30 to 40 seconds
    to show the hard drive connected to it. Occasionally it shows within 2 or 3
    seconds.
    I have flashed the bios to the newest and also tried the Beta Bios and the
    same thing occurs. The system is very fast and stable. I have XP installed
    twice for dual boot.
    One on the Via and the other on the Promise.
    Any suggestions besides connecting both drives to the Via ?

    Thanks
    Ron

    Running
    A8V Deluxe
    Athlon 3500+
    1 gig pc 3200 in Dual Channel.
    XP SP2.

    RonK, Nov 22, 2004

  2. RonK

    m.marien Guest

    It's a Promise thing. 30 - 40 seconds does seem excessive. I have a SATA on
    the Promise controller K8V Deluxe), plus I have some Promise TX2 cards in
    other systems. If there is a problem, the detection takes plenty of time.
    However, if the drives are fine, it detects them within 10 seconds.

    Booting is a different story. The Promise drives take forever to boot. I
    added a PATA and boot from there - much much faster.

    m.marien, Nov 22, 2004

  3. RonK

    Chris Catt Guest

    Hi, what's wrong with connecting both of the drives to the Via Sata? I'm
    sure you can run them both without having to create an raid array, at least
    you can on my A8V. Then you'd be able to disable the promise thus speeding
    up your bootup times....
    Chris C

    Chris Catt, Nov 22, 2004
  4. RonK

    RonK Guest

    Hi Chris.
    I could connect both to the Via but I wanted to do some benchmarks to see if
    there were any performance differences between the 2.

    RonK, Nov 22, 2004
  5. RonK

    Chris Catt Guest

    Chris Catt, Nov 23, 2004
  6. RonK

    Chris Catt Guest

    Hi, bty, I'm getting over 111,000KB/sec from my raid setup on the via....
    Chris C

    Chris Catt, Nov 23, 2004
  7. RonK

    RonK Guest

    OK - Thanks Chris, I'll put them both on the Via and I might as well Raid0
    them as well.
    I did benchmark them and the Promise was about 10% slower than the Via.

    RonK, Nov 23, 2004
  8. RonK

    Chris Guest

    Way to go!!! Let me know how you get on....
    Chris C

    Chris, Nov 24, 2004
  9. RonK

    RonK Guest

    Hi Chris,

    I changed the Promise drive over to the Via Sata connection and my slow boot
    has dis-appeared. I was surprised that I did not have to re-install XP on
    that drive after I changed connections. I did have to edit the Boot.ini to
    have it show the correct Operating System locations.
    Both Installs work great and I will Raid0 when I have more time.

    Thanks
    Ron

    PS - Are you in Great Britain ?

    RonK, Nov 25, 2004
  10. RonK

    RonK Guest

    You were right about the boot time on the Promise. I have both drives on the
    Via and everything is fast nowThanks

    RonK, Nov 25, 2004
  11. RonK

    Chris Guest