AAPL: 50% more operating income in 2008 vs 2006

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Marcel Pagnol, Jan 31, 2009.

  1. PERIOD ENDING 27-Sep-08 29-Sep-07 30-Sep-06

    Total Revenue 32,479,000 24,006,000 19,315,000

    Op. Income 6,275,000 4,409,000 2,453,000

    (All figures x1000)

    http://finance.yahoo.com/q/is?s=AAPL&annual

    So, in 2006 operating income was 12.7% of total revenue. In 2008, it was
    19.3%. That's an increase of 50% of total revenue.

    Whereas total revenue has increased by 68%, operating income has increased
    by 155.8% , more than double the total revenue increase.

    I understand all you bright people are more into nice pictures than
    figures -- which, according to your brainwashing, would be the business of
    PC guys -- but the calculations have been made and the results are right
    here before your very eyes.

    How the hell can you pretend that Macs are about value? You're getting more
    ripped off by the year!

    Marcel Pagnol, Jan 31, 2009

  2. Marcel Pagnol

    Marc Heusser Guest

    You seem to like flame wars!
    Anyway, you also seem to confuse cost and value to the customer.

    HTH

    Marc

    Marc Heusser, Jan 31, 2009

  3. What I don't confuse is that Apple's margins have gone up 50% only from 2006
    to 2008 and that you are still footing the bill while looking at PsyStar
    computers because Apple makes no equivalent.

    Marcel Pagnol, Jan 31, 2009
  4. Is having to ruin yourself for a Mac Pro or settle for a lame iMac what you
    call value to the customer?

    Marcel Pagnol, Jan 31, 2009
  5. You have that precisely backward. The fact that Apple's margins have
    increased is a strong indication that they are adding _more_ value to
    the pile of parts that make up their computers than they did in 2006.

    After all, the value of something is what someone will pay for it, not
    what it costs. That is the entire idea of any manufacturing company:
    to build something that is more valuable to the marketplace than what
    goes into making it.

    No one makes anyone choose Apple products. People buy Macs because
    they find value in them. Apple sold 2.5 million Macs in three months.
    You will have a hard time arguing that all of those customers were
    ripped off and somehow none of them noticed. If they felt the Mac cost
    too much for what it offers, they wouldn't have bought one.

    That you cannot see the value in a Macintosh just means you are not who
    they are selling to. That's fine. They can obviously carve out quite
    a profitable business catering to just 10% of the market.

    It's a good time to be an AAPL stockholder.

    Jerry Kindall, Jan 31, 2009
  6. Marcel Pagnol

    Tom Stiller Guest

    PayStar has zero engineering costs and adds about as much value as the
    guy selling Rolex watches in Times Square.

    Tom Stiller, Jan 31, 2009
  7. Apple's product mix has also changed significantly since 2006. Care to
    factor that in?

    -Stephen

    Stephen Adams, Jan 31, 2009
  8. Marcel Pagnol

    Tim McNamara Guest

    Did you factor out the iPhone, iPod, Apple TV, accessories and software
    sales revenues? Or are you conflating those things to "prove" your
    little point, Sock Puppet Boy?

    And, jeez, dude- what's your beef with a company making a profit? I'm a
    left wing liberal and even I don't begrudge companies making a
    reasonable profit. Of course, if Apple was just breaking even you'd be
    crowing about what an ineptly run company they were. You're a strange,
    twisted person who needs to get a life.
    Yup. Apple is a very successful business and smarter in its operations
    than most in the computer, music and mobile phone industries.
    My Macs have worked well and provided me with good value over the past
    23 years. That's hardly "getting ripped off." Compared to my PC using
    friends who have bought twice as many computers (in several cases, four
    times as many) and had far more problems and frustrations, I am much
    more satisfied. Thus far, I know no one who switched from a Mac to a PC
    and many people who have switched from PCs to Macs and are much happier
    for it.

    But do keep up your strange stalker antics. They are quite entertaining
    on a dull morning, allowing us to wonder about just what a pathetic,
    obsessed weasel you are. Cheers!

    Tim McNamara, Jan 31, 2009
  9. Marcel Pagnol

    Tim McNamara Guest

    Now you're talking to yourself. Have you considered obtaining some kind
    of professional help with your problems?

    Tim McNamara, Jan 31, 2009
  10. I think that the most telling statistic of all is that 50% of all the
    people who bought a Macintosh computer in 2008 had never owned a
    Macintosh computer before. That means half of all the people who bought
    a Mac were either buying their first computer or were switching from
    Windows or *nix.

    Michelle Steiner, Jan 31, 2009
  11. Everything is factored in, dummy: it's the *margins* on *total* revenue that
    went up 50%.

    Marcel Pagnol, Jan 31, 2009
  12. That's how Jobs likes to see things :)
    Is it more valuable or is it made to look more valuable? Do you really
    believe, to put things at worst, that people who manage with iLife and
    iWork couldn't do much better with Linux?

    Marcel Pagnol, Jan 31, 2009
  13. Everything is factored in, dummy: it's the *margins* on *total* revenue that
    went up 50%.

    Also, notice that even though the product line has changed, you still can't
    get a decent MAc PC at a decent price, just because prices would be
    compared to other PCs. For the missing link Mac that everybody is dreaming
    about, you've got to look to Psystar.

    Marcel Pagnol, Jan 31, 2009
  14. Marcel Pagnol

    Tim McNamara Guest

    You're the one mixing things up, idiot child. But from an anonymous
    coward, that's no surprise.

    Tim McNamara, Jan 31, 2009
  15. Marcel Pagnol

    Tim McNamara Guest

    "Everybody's dreaming about?" Who dat?

    Tim McNamara, Jan 31, 2009
  16. Marcel Pagnol

    Eric Lindsay Guest

    The value of anything is what you can persuade people to pay for it.
    Unless there is fraud involved, value is determined by the purchaser.
    90% of computer buyers do not see Apple computers as of sufficient
    value. Why do you care? Is it because 99% of computer buyers do not see
    Linux as being even worth nothing? In short, even free is not a cheap
    enough price.

    This is a joke, right? It is cruel and unusual punishment to inflict
    Linux on a typical computer user. Too many things just do not work well
    enough on the desktop. There is a reason for the high return rate of
    Linux Netbooks, and a reason for them all offering Windows XP instead.
    Yes, even Windows is more acceptable than Linux.

    A Mac costs me around $100 a month. I can spend that on a meal. Whereas
    if I buy Windows I would end up annoyed (bitter past experience may not
    be relevant to current Windows, but I am not willing to try). If I use
    Linux, I have even more fiddling about, and may never manage to stop the
    thing beeping while in suspend (current experience with Ubuntu on a
    Dell). Why should you care that some people find $100 a month well worth
    not having to stuff around with Windows or Linux?

    Eric Lindsay, Jan 31, 2009
  17. Marcel Pagnol

    Eric Lindsay Guest

    Apple choose not to serve you. You are useless as a customer, because
    you do not see value in their MacPro workstation model. That is why
    Apple have good margins. They pick the sort of customer they want to
    serve.

    The majority of people buying desktop machines buy mostly on price
    (gamers are an exception). Then they look for free advice to fix their
    problems.

    Sensible companies (Apple) do not get involved in the stupidity of a
    race to the bottom in desktop computers. That is why Apple do not make
    any desktop models. They do make a few unusual laptop technology
    computers, with better margins because they left out the battery (and
    keyboard and mouse or optical drives). Their decisions make excellent
    business sense.

    Others (like IBM) got out of the business (one way or another, mostly by
    failing). Silly computer companies do not have any fallback, and are
    forced to work hard for razor thin margins on a lot of their lines.

    Eric Lindsay, Feb 1, 2009
  18. I assume that you left out a word there.

    Michelle Steiner, Feb 1, 2009
  19. I like your argumentation, Timmy.

    Marcel Pagnol, Feb 1, 2009
  20. Persuade, yes. Do you agree that this "persuasion" has nothing to do with
    education, with facts, all with deceit?
    I wonder how come I've never noticed this in the last seven years :)

    Marcel Pagnol, Feb 1, 2009