    points the finger at your speakers. But you say you've tried other
    speakers with the same results.

    Do your speakers hum when you touch the input plug?

    Travis Jordan, May 17, 2005

  2. Travis Jordan

    Headstomp Guest

    Yes the speaker hum when I touch the input plug.
    Plus I plug the speakers into other devices and they worked fine.(mp3
    player and cd stand alone player)
    I am strongly leaning towards a MB defect.

    Headstomp, May 17, 2005

  3. I would agree with you, but that still doesn't explain why the SBLive
    card doesn't work.

    Travis Jordan, May 17, 2005
  4. Travis Jordan

    Headstomp Guest

    This is confusing
    everything worked flawlessly on my old ASUS 850mhz mb
    it was just slow.
    This sound thing is driving me crazy

    Headstomp, May 17, 2005
  5. Here's one final idea.....I'm not a regular XP user so I'm not sure
    exactly where this 'feature' is, but since you mentioned that you
    wondered if your speakers were digital or analog....

    Sometimes the setting for digital output gets changed. Click on the
    volume icon in the taskbar click on the advanced tab and then (if it is
    checked) uncheck the digital output box and see if that helps.

    Travis Jordan, May 17, 2005
  6. Travis Jordan

    Headstomp Guest

    Could it be an IRQ conflict with the Graphics cards

    Headstomp, May 17, 2005
  7. That would show up in Device Manager.

    Travis Jordan, May 17, 2005
  8. Travis Jordan

    Headstomp Guest

    Im at work right now and not in front of my home pc but if i can
    rememeber correctly the advance controls are greyed out

    Headstomp, May 17, 2005
  9. Travis Jordan

    Headstomp Guest

    I didnt install this:
    IEEE 1394A: IEEE 1394a interface provides high speed digital interface
    for audio / video appliances such as digital television, digital video
    camcorders, storage peripherals & other PC portable devices.

    I do not have any digital devices so I left that and the extra USB
    ports off.
    That shouldnt matter right?

    Headstomp, May 17, 2005
  10. Travis Jordan

    Headstomp Guest

    I just got off the phone with MWAVE's tech support and they said its a
    common problem with this board. He said Shuttle company does not have a
    great quality control system and that I should send in the board for a
    replacement.
    So I guess thats what I am going to do. So I have to wait another week
    or two to find out.
    Oh well thank you for all your help.

    Headstomp, May 17, 2005
  11. Right.

    Travis Jordan, May 17, 2005
  12. OK - just check back in when you get the replacement board and let us
    know if that solves the problem.

    Travis Jordan, May 17, 2005
  13. Travis Jordan

    Headstomp Guest

    Still doesnt explain why the sblive didnt work
    Now I just have to keep the processor and memory in a secure location
    until I get the board back

    Headstomp, May 17, 2005
  14. Travis Jordan

    Headstomp Guest

    Yes will do

    Headstomp, May 17, 2005
  15. Travis Jordan

    Headstomp Guest

    I think it has something to do with the OS
    Im using WINXP OEM version
    Ive updated the service pak to 2
    I put the speakers directly up to the cdrom and it should play a
    regular audio cd out the speakers and it doesnt
    Gotta be the OS now.
    I will have to get my hands on a retail version of Winxp
    Is the linux better than Windoze?

    Headstomp, May 18, 2005
  16. Travis Jordan

    Headstomp Guest

    Okay that guy doesnt know what he is talking about
    Ive installed my old retail ver of win2k and still the same thing
    with the new codec install
    i can play music out of my cd rom though with my speaker connected
    directly to it
    must be a faulty board
    ill try the sblive card and post results

    Headstomp, May 18, 2005
  17. I wouldn't encourage you to jump from Windows to Linux unless you are
    really interested in it. The learning curve can be pretty steep for a
    novice.

    Travis Jordan, May 18, 2005
  18. Travis Jordan

    Headstomp Guest

    Finally have sound now but not through the MB
    I shut off the onboard audio and got a different sound card and now i
    have sound
    I have a dual OS boot with WIn2k and WInxp
    It works for both.
    They are sending me another board and once i get that board I will see
    if the onboard audio works. And if it does i will send back the
    defective one.
    The board is a pretty okay board. I just wish I didnt have the
    headaches of this audio port malfunction.

    Headstomp, May 19, 2005
  19. We can safely conclude that it is hardware then. You did a good job of
    diagnosis, even if it was painful!

    Thanks for letting us know, and post a follow up when you replace the
    board.

    Travis Jordan, May 19, 2005
  20. Travis Jordan

    luke1411 Guest

    having same problem, tried everything here still no sound. is it a MB
    defect? if so what sould i do?
    Also headstomp said he got sound using another sound card, but didn't list
    the sound card.

    luke1411, Jul 23, 2005