Abit AA8 and Patriot DDR2 XBL

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Carlshead, Oct 15, 2005.

  1. Carlshead

    Carlshead Guest

    Hello,

    Back in May I built a system with an Abit AA8, two sticks of 512 mb
    Patriot PEP25125600+XBL. System worked perfectly for its intended
    purpose.

    Early in September I duplicated the system and these motherboards will
    not work with the new versions of Patriot SDRAM (same part number).
    Both motherboards work with the two sticks purchased in May; the boards
    will only work with a single stick of the newly purchased memory.

    I flashed both motherboards up to the newest BIOS and pushed the memory
    voltage up to 2.1 (which is what Patriot recommends).

    Antec 400W PS
    ABIT AA8
    Intel P4 640 rescott 800mhz LGA 775
    Patriot Extreme Performance 512mb 240-pin DDR2 SDRAM (PC25600)
    BFG Tech Geforce 6800GT 256mb
    WD Raptor 74 GB Sata150

    I RMA'd the new Ram (to NewEgg) and received two new sticks. They do
    the same thing on both MBs'. I think I need to give up on the Patriot
    ram and try another brand.

    But if anybody has another idea...

    Cheers,
    Carl

    ces (at) meyerinst (dot) com

    Carlshead, Oct 15, 2005

  2. Carlshead

    Uncle Keith Guest

    It could be due to the same problem I had with my AV8 and Patriot DDR

    The Abit board, when set to optimum defaults, sets the frontside bus to
    204 Mhz not 200 Mhz. The Patriot RAM is set to work with very fast
    timings and *wont* run if the FSB is pushed higher than 200 Mhz

    You can run the memory at faster rates but you have to change all the
    RAM timings for it to work.

    Check your FSB isn't being overclocked without you knowing it!

    Uncle Keith, Oct 15, 2005

  3. Carlshead

    h2so4 Guest

    It may not be relevant but my Corsair TinX3200LL Pro is not stable at
    default voltage. I know other users of the Abit IC7-G mobo had similiar
    problems with Corsair and other RAM.

    Just a thought,

    h2so4, Oct 17, 2005