    Seems ready to be pronounced dead to me, don't know anything else to try!

    Peter Allison
    Wootton Bassett, UK

    Peter Allison, Sep 10, 2007

  2. Peter Allison wrote:

    | My beloved Abit AS8 seems to have given up the ghost! I went to boot
    | it up yesterday and just got 1 long beep and 3 short ones, then code 96
    | on the LED and the system powers down. I have...
    |
    | reset the bios
    | removed all hard drives
    | changed memory
    | changed AGP graphics card
    | changed power supply
    | changed CPU
    |
    | but always the same result!
    |
    | Seems ready to be pronounced dead to me, don't know anything else to
    | try!
    |
    | Peter Allison
    | Wootton Bassett, UK

    Hello Peter -

    Do you have another keyboard to try? The beep code you're receiving
    indicates there's a problem with your keyboard.

    If you're using a PS/2 keyboard, try a USB keyboard instead.

    Jef

    Basic Beep Codes for ABIT AWARD BIOS Motherboards

    No beep at all - this means your motherboard is dead, either due to a
    defective or underpowered power supply, poorly seated CPU or RAM, or a
    dead-on-arrival board

    1 short (Beep) System booting is normally

    1 long beep then machine shuts down - faulty, improperly installed or
    missing CPU

    2 short (Beep) CMOS setting error

    1 long - 1 short (Beep) DRAM ERROR

    1 long - 2 short (Beep) Display card or monitor connected error

    1 long - 3 short (Beep) Keyboard Error

    1 long - 9 short (Beep) ROM Error

    Long (Beep) continuous - DRAM isn't inserted correctly

    Short (Beep) continuous - POWER supply has a problem

    A two-tone siren - generally caused by overheating or out of specification
    voltages

    Four beeps then machine shuts down - this is because the BIOS will shut down
    your machine if no fan tachometer signal is detected on the fan header.
    Make sure you attach a three-wire fan to the CPUFAN header.

    Bird Janitor®, Sep 10, 2007

  3. Thanks for that, never thought about changing the keyboard....alas symptoms
    are the same with 2 other keyboards.

    Peter

    Peter Allison, Sep 10, 2007
  4. Peter Allison

    Wes Newell Guest

    I know where you got this, but I'm almost positive that it's wrong. I've
    never had a bad or missing keyboard cause a post failure. According to the
    people that wrote the bios there's only really one positive beep code,
    meaning video failure.

    http://www.phoenix.com/en/Customer+Services/BIOS/AwardBIOS/Award+Error+Codes.htm

    From that link....

    Beep Codes

    The only AwardBIOS beep code indicates that a video error has
    occurred and the BIOS cannot initialize the video screen to display
    any additional information. This beep code consists of a single long
    beep followed by two short beeps. Any other beeps are probably a RAM
    (Random Access Memory) problems.

    How accurate is this? I don't know. I just find it hard to argue with the
    authors of the bios. That and the fact that I've installed lots of
    systems without KB's and with Award bioses with halt on all errors except
    keyboard. And even without that, it just displays a KB error on boot.

    Wes Newell, Sep 10, 2007
  5. Peter Allison

    Stephen Guest

    That beep code for an Award bios means: No video card or bad video RAM
    http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm

    Swapping out the video card should have fixed it.

    Stephen

    Stephen, Sep 10, 2007
  6. Peter Allison

    Wes Newell Guest

    Additional info can be found in the faq.
    NOTES:

    1. The BIOS can print many messages on the screen during POST. If your
    computer has the Phoenix QuietBoot feature installed, the
    manufacturer's logo is displayed instead of POST messages. You can
    switch to the POST messages by pressing Esc. Your owner's manual
    should list possible POST messages printed by the BIOS, along with an
    explanation of what the messages mean.

    2. Although most PC manufacturers generally do not change these codes,
    POST beep codes may vary because of manufacturer-specific requirements.

    3. Add-in cards in your PC may issue beep codes during POST which are
    not directly associated with the BIOS.

    Wes Newell, Sep 10, 2007
  7. Peter Allison

    Wes Newell Guest

    Unless the board circuitry is bad or there's another fatal error.

    Wes Newell, Sep 10, 2007
  8. Peter Allison

    c Guest

    If you can dig up an old PCI video card somewhere, it might be worth a try.

    Chris

    c, Sep 11, 2007
  9. Thanks for the useful comments.

    Do I take it that Phoenix and Award BIOS amount to the same thing?- my BIOS
    is marked Phoenix

    I did try two different AGP cards, now I will try a PCI card.

    Peter

    Peter Allison, Sep 11, 2007
  10. Peter Allison

    c Guest