ABIT AV8 - no boot - please help!

Discussion in 'Abit' started by joelschl, May 15, 2009.

  1. joelschl

    joelschl

    Joined:
    May 15, 2009
    Hey all,

    I have an ABIT AV8 that stopped booting after I added in more RAM.

    Symptons:

    Hit the power button. The POST codes are: 8.3 -> 9.C. -> 9.E. (fast) -> 9.F.
    No fans spin up on the CPU or internal fans. Not even the fan in the PSU starts

    What I tried

    Before power supply replacement, I was getting a 1 long / 1 short beep beep on the MB. After reading the various forums, it stated it was a PSU issue so I bought a new PSU
    First I tried a new BFG 550W modular PSU. The MB stopped beeping.. but then I started getting the POST codes above.. so it behaved differently. Thinking something was bad
    with the new PSU.. i returned it and got an ANTEC (non modular)

    I have purchased a new PSU (Antec 500W)
    replaced a BFG 550 W PSU
    after replacing the PSU... I got the POST error codes above.

    I have purchased a new ABIT AV8 mb
    I thought something happened to MB.. so I got a replacement. Same exact error
    codes occur

    I removed all ram except 1 stick in slot 0. All ram is OCZ Platinum PC3200 / 2-3-2-5-8 @ 2.8v
    and all 4 sticks have same part # (2 sticks are older.. 2 are newer)

    I replaced CPU from AMD 4400 (dual core) -> AMD 3500 (single core) thinking something
    may have happened to CPU fan (or CPU). This reacted same way with either CPU installed...

    I removed GEFORCE 6800 OC and downgraded to GEFORCE3
    wanted to lower system power requirements to see if that had something to do with it

    I removed all non-essential peripherals.. (sound, disk drives etc)
    I cleared CMOS after each modification

    Does anyone have any ideas on what could have happened?
    could it be something with the power switch on the case that is causing the MB to malfunction?
    could it be some grounding issue / case shorting issue?
    I have tried everything I can think of and replaced all 'main' parts.. and I'm very frustrated AND a bit poorer after buying all of these parts
    that arent fixing the issue..

    :confused:

    Last edited: May 15, 2009
    joelschl, May 15, 2009
  2. joelschl

    kouki

    Hi, I've just found this forum on a google search.

    My problem is identical to Joels, Abit AV8 motherboard, identical error message etc.

    I'm now onto my 3rd replacement power supply and still no luck

    I considered replacing the board itself or the cpu, but seeing at that didn't work for Joel, I am changing my mind.

    I assumed the first 500w power supply burnt out when the PC stopped booting, so I bought a replacement 450w one. I got the error message Joel refers to. I therefore bought a 750w power supply assuming the 450w one didn't have enough juice. Still get the same message and PC won't start up. Fan's go to spin (move a 20th of a turn or so and then stop. Fast clicking noise when I hit the power button that corresponds with a flashing led.

    Please help, I've been without my main PC for 2 months now and am having to borrow a friends laptop.

    kouki, Jul 24, 2009
  3. joelschl

    kouki

    Hi again, I still have this problem

    I've tried a couple more power supplies.

    I still just get a clicking and the fans move fractionally when I hit the power button. I had some progress today though. If I leave off the p4 connector, the computer looks like it's starting up, fans spin, hard drive whirs etc, then I get three beeps through my speaker. I think it's because the p4 connector is used to supply the cpu with power - so without it, the cpu receives no power and so I get an error code.

    Does this provide any clues as to what's wrong with my machine? If power is left connected to the p4 connector, pc just clicks.

    kouki, Aug 9, 2009