abit bd7ii-raid and usb 2.0

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Byru, Apr 28, 2005.

  1. Byru

    Byru Guest

    Hi, i just reinstalled windows xp and as usual i have problems with USB 2.0
    running. On my old system i get to work one usb port to run at 2.0 speeds
    while the whole rest (5 out of 6 in total) were running as usb 1.1.

    But now in the new system all 6 ports work as usb 1.1 giving me speeds like
    600 - 700 kbps on from and to my usb 2.0 stick.

    I have 2 usb ports on the back of the case (on the mobo panel) and 4
    additional linked directly form mobo usb controllers with my front panel
    which is an usb 2.0 compillant (one port form 4 was running at 2.0 speeds on
    the old system).

    I have windows xp Pro with SP2 installed.
    On the original abit mobo drivers CD the usb 2.0 drovers are not present,
    there is just a link to a webpage from where i downloaded the usb 2.0
    drivers named: "ABIT_USB20_ICH4_2121.EXE"

    I try to install it exactly how it is written in readme file but it still
    doesnt work. I can remove all the usb stuff from device manager , restart pc
    install drivers and it still works line usb 1.1 even if it is named : "Untel
    USB 2.0 Enchanced Host Controller" and "USB 2.0 Root Hub Device" (this 2
    items are available).

    It still does not work as 2.0.

    I dont remember how did i do that last time, it was ages ago but i remember
    i was fighting with it hard and i get only one port fully working.

    What is with this stuff?

    I do have laest abit bios installed, Intel Inf Utility and Intel Application
    Accelerator as well.

    Please help, maybe there is any good solution for that problem? - i am sure
    i am not the only one with that issue.

    Best regards

    Byru

    Byru, Apr 28, 2005

  2. But now in the new system all 6 ports work as usb 1.1 giving me speeds
    Are you sure the stick is REALLY usb 2.0? I have the same board and I don't
    have your problem.

    HTH,

    Giuseppe Carmine De Blasio, Apr 28, 2005

  3. Byru

    Byru Guest

    sure it is 2.0 stick, i wrote it was working on the old system :)

    can you tell me the way step by step what u do to install usb 2.0 drivers?
    I will be glad.

    Byru

    Byru, Apr 28, 2005
  4. Don't see why you should. Provided you haven't managed to damage the
    hardware somehow it should be unproblematic.
    That's not as it should be. All six ports on the BD7II are USB2.0 capable.
    That's the wrong driver to use nowadays, and used to be problematic way back
    when.

    If you have XPSP2 installed, USB2.0 via the ICH4 should be natively
    supported. If it isn't, try loading the Intel Chipset Drivers (aka "Inf
    Update"). If you've already loaded the old driver though, you may have to
    uninstall it first.
    There's no obvious reason why it shouldn't work. Are you sure the hardware
    you're attempting to connect is fully USB2.0 compliant?
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

    Richard Hopkins, Apr 28, 2005
  5. Byru

    Byru Guest

    If you have XPSP2 installed, USB2.0 via the ICH4 should be natively
    ok, i uninstalled all usb devices from device manager, then after restarting
    i installed the current intel chipset drivers, , after next reboot windows
    found several usb devices like: "Universal USB host controller intel(r)
    82801DB/DBM - 24CD" and three more but with endings : "C2, C4 and C7"

    I measured the speed few times on uncached data and:

    PC -> usb 2.0 stick = 650-700kbps
    usb 2.0 stick -> PC = 7000kbps - Yes, something like it works as 2.0 now,
    but only in that direction.

    Why? What is wrong, it apparently is something...

    PS: Yes my stick is usb 2.0 cause it worked like this before and it work
    with full speed on other PCs.
    Byru

    Byru, Apr 28, 2005
  6. Byru

    Tim R. Guest

    After installing XP. install the latest Intel chipset drivers. Then
    install SP1.
    Using the file you've listed above, I believe it was necessary to
    remove the USB devices from the Hardware Manager and reboot. This
    file isn't required if you use SP1. And the reboot isn't required,
    either.
    Only other thing that comes to mind is that a certain BIOS revision is
    required. Anything 18 months old or newer should be fine.

    Tim R., Apr 30, 2005