ABIT BE6-II and firewire card

Discussion in 'Abit' started by jibet, Nov 5, 2004.

  1. jibet

    jibet Guest

    Hi all,

    I'm struggling with a problem with my ABIT BE6 II since 6 months now!

    I've bought a IEEE1394 firewire PCI card (Q-TEC 510F). I've tried this card
    with each PCI slot (removing all my other devices) and I never got it
    running. It is not recognised at boot time (i see nothing in the list with
    IRQ attributions) and neither in Windows XP. I've also tried with another
    firewire card borrowed from a friend and it's the same result.

    My config:

    - ABIT BE6 II (with latest BIOS from ABIT)
    - PIII 550MHZ SLOT 1 bus 100mhz
    - ATI All in wonder pro 128
    - HD MAXTOR 80 Ghz (hooked to the UDM66 ide slot)
    - Windows XP professional

    Do you have ideas ? What can I still try to make it work ? (I read on the
    web that several people had not problem with an abit be 6 II and a firewire
    pci card)

    Thank you very much !

    Sincerely,

    -- Jibet

    jibet, Nov 5, 2004

  2. ....In which case we can probably rule out any OS related issues.
    Strange, there's no fundamental reason why you should have problems, I used
    to run an Adaptec PCI 1394 card in my BE6-II 2.0 system and it never gave a
    moment's headache.

    Have you tried your own card in your friend's system, and is his card the
    same (or the same chipset) as yours?
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

    Richard Hopkins, Nov 5, 2004

  3. jibet

    Geoff Guest

    does it list in the pci list in the post ?
    (the text list just before the windows logo bit)
    does it work in another pc?
    i had that board myself a while back, it's a good board, it should have no
    problem
    did you borrow the same qtec make ? maybe it doesn't like those cards ?

    Geoff, Nov 6, 2004
  4. jibet

    LeeBos Guest

    You may have to manually configure an IRQ for the PCI slot you are using in the
    BIOS setup. I had to do this on one of my systems to get it to recognize a SCSI
    card. The SCSI card would only work with IRQ 9.

    LeeBos, Nov 6, 2004
  5. jibet

    jibet Guest

    Yes, I tried my card in his system: it does work ! However his firewire card
    is still another brand but does not work with my abit BE6 II

    Could you give me the reference of your adaptec card that does work (I'll
    see if i can find a used one) ?

    Thanxs

    -- Jibet

    jibet, Nov 7, 2004
  6. jibet

    jibet Guest

    does it list in the pci list in the post ?
    Yes, unfortunately...
    No, it's another brand butt still does not work, I'm wondering if I should
    set something in the BIOS ?

    -- Jean

    jibet, Nov 7, 2004
  7. jibet

    jibet Guest

    You may have to manually configure an IRQ for the PCI slot you are using
    Yes. But how can I do that ? With the abit be6II, if you want to manually
    configure irq, you have to set them for each device on your system and, I
    never succeeded to boot up my machine correctly. Could you point me to a
    fully functional IRQ setup for this board?

    Thank you...

    jibet, Nov 7, 2004
  8. jibet

    TomG Guest

    do you have a good, strong power supply?

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 130,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Nov 8, 2004
  9. jibet

    jibet Guest

    I don't think my power supply is great. It's not a brand... But I never had
    any problem with it...

    Also how could that be related ?

    Another question. How can I manually configure the IRQ Settings ? Let's say
    that I installed my firewire card into PCI slot 4.

    In the BIOS, I can only set irqs for PIRQ_0, PIRQ_1, PIRQ_2 and PIRQ_3
    channels ?.

    Here is a table from the abit manual. How can I read it ? If I set IRQ 5 to
    PIRQ_2 for instance, what does it mean ?
    PCI slot 1 PCI slot 2 PCI slot 3 PCI slot 4 PCI slot 5 HPT
    366

    PIRQ_0 INT A INT B INT C INT D INT B INT C

    PIRQ_1 INT B INT D INT D INT A INT A INT D

    PIRQ_2 INT C INT C INT A INT B INT D INT A

    PIRQ_3 INT D INT A INT B INT C INT C INT B

    Thank you very much,

    -- Jean

    jibet, Nov 8, 2004
  10. jibet

    LeeBos Guest

    Subject: Re: ABIT BE6-II and firewire card
    Now you're asking a hard question as my BE6-II is no longer in service and is
    sitting in the box. But if I remember, the PCI slots share IRQ's. If your
    firewire card is like my SCSI card, it would NOT share an IRQ and I had to move
    it to a slot that had a free IRQ. Took some experimenting if I remember
    correctly. See page 3-40 in the manual.

    LeeBos, Nov 8, 2004
  11. jibet

    TomG Guest

    the power supply comes into play if there is insufficient power to drive the
    system and the card as well. keep in mind that there are different rails in
    the power supply with different responsibilities for the rails, such as CPU
    core, I/O, etc. We have seen situations where there is a weak supply that
    contributes to a problem. if you had another power supply to swap in as a
    test, that would be something I would try.

    as for the IRQ's, the design of that board is such that the interrupt signal
    lines are hard wired to the slots and the slots share the four IRQ signal
    lines. you cannot change the sharing arrangement but you can change the IRQ
    signal line that a particular slot uses, which will affect the other slots
    as well.

    But more importantly, I think if you hit enter on the IRQ resources entry,
    you can go in and reserve an IRQ. by reserving the IRQ, you are taking that
    IRQ out of the pool of available IRQ's that the PnP bios or OS would then
    try to use for allocating to system resources such as serial ports, parallel
    ports, etc. as a test, to see if the issue is related to resources, which I
    don't personally believe it is, you could go into the bios and disable the
    serial ports and/or parallel ports and free the resources attached to those
    devices by virtue of disabling them and then that would make additional IRQ
    and I/O ports, etc., available for other devices including the card you are
    trying to install.

    TomG, Nov 9, 2004
  12. jibet

    jibet Guest

    Thank you very much for your insights.

    Unfortunately nothing worked... I therefore bought another PCI firewire card
    from another brand (Hercules) and it was immediately recognized by both the
    BIOS and the OS.

    I guess there is an incompatibility issue with QTEC and ABIT in that case.
    We'll never know why...

    Too bad. Thank you all anyway !

    -- Jibet

    jibet, Nov 9, 2004
  13. "jibet" wrote in message...
    May be a problem with the BE6-II and the VIA 6306 chipset used by the Q-TEC
    card.
    Glad to hear you got this sorted Jibet. Will the place you bought the QTEC
    card from give you a refund seeing as it doesn't work?

    Would be interesting to know what chipset the Hercules has on it. If it's
    something other than a VIA we can, with a reasonable degree of confidence,
    point our fingers.

    Richard Hopkins, Nov 10, 2004
  14. jibet

    TomG Guest

    glad you were able to get things moving forward... you're correct in that
    none of us appear to understand the issue with that original card.

    TomG, Nov 10, 2004
  15. jibet

    jibet Guest

    Glad to hear you got this sorted Jibet. Will the place you bought the QTEC
    No, unfortunately I bought that card a few months... It's too late for a
    refund. (And the card does work, so the seller told me he was not
    responsible for such issues... Well I don't either !)
    I can read "agere" or "a 8 ere" on the chipset. I also borrowed another
    firewire card (NO BRAND) from a friend : it appeared that it also had a VIA
    chipset and indeed... this card was not recognised by my system. So it must
    be the chipset !

    -- Jibet

    jibet, Nov 10, 2004