    works.

    Recomend a good board.

    Thanks.

    No One Realy, Aug 1, 2005

  2. On Tue, 02 Aug 2005, No One Realy wrote:

    >> Now that the X2 Cpus are cheapish. I might get one but i need a board.
    >>
    >> Iam going the hold hog.

    The expression is "whole hog" (not a small meal, we're gonna FEAST!)

    >> SATA 2 300 or whatever they call it now.

    SATA 2 differs from SATA 1 ONLY in the electronics interface .:. not a
    big difference. Faster disks must spin faster (15K SCSI drives are hard
    to beat) or work in parallel (RAID-5) or they're not really faster.

    >> I would like to go SLI if possilbe. But dont want to go two 6800 gts.
    >> But two 6600 gts but not sure if thats even woth it.
    >>
    >> So i might just go Single Vidcard.

    I'm as interested in vid card recommendations as you are... there's WAY
    too much advertising and bleeding edge for my sense of comfort.

    >> But i do want usb 2,

    There's an unfortunate difference between the advertising of USB-2 and
    devices that actually do the work at that speed.

    >> lan ect the works.

    Recommendation 1: get a GOOD power supply.
    Recommendation 2: get GOOD RAM.
    Recommendation 3: get a case that provides adequate cooling, room to
    work, sound suppression, etc.
    4: worry about which Mobo.
    5: worry about the vid card and monitor.

    What's this machines' intended usage?

    Linux, BSD, or Windows?

    Brian Brunner, Aug 1, 2005

  3. Not much point getting a SLI motherboard - with two 6600 gts video
    cards unless you want several monitors. Just one 7800 GTX motherboard
    will do just fine. :) I'm having a hard time picking an Abit
    motherboard because I do want a serial and parallel port and not want
    to buy a PCI card.

    I've been happy with ABit since my old BH6 and I am still happy with
    my NF7-S but maybe it is time to switch to Asus. The A8N-E looks good
    but make sure it has the latest bios for the AMD X2.

    Ak

    Alfred Kaufmann, Aug 1, 2005
  4. I've used Asus boards before, and although I think they're fine, do give
    Epox a look. I've got an Epox 8RDA+ that's been fantastic. And unlike with
    Asus, the manual is readable and accurate. I've also been happy with my
    Abit NF7-S2. If I were to buy a new board today, it would either be Abit or
    Epox. ... And Epox has the serial and parallel ports you're looking for.

    Regards,

    Margaret

    Margaret Wilson, Aug 2, 2005
  5. Thanks for the Epox suggestion but the online shops I surf in Canada
    do not stock them or only have old stock.

    Ak

    Alfred Kaufmann, Aug 2, 2005