Abit BX133 HPT: Bios needed? Other advice?

Discussion in 'Abit' started by kris2f, Feb 3, 2004.

  1. kris2f

    kris2f Guest

    My Abit bx133-raid seems to work well with one single Samsung SP1213N
    120G, 8 MB cache at the HPT controller, and DiskSpeed32 says 52 MB/s
    averagespeed, 8,6ms access (Win 98, Celeron at 1.1GHz, 3 x 256 MB
    sdram Infinion 222).

    No real problem at the moment, but some questions, thank you in
    advance:

    - Bios is now ber72, the HPT-Bios is 201024. Drivers are 201019.
    Obviously I had mixed a little, but ist seems to work. Any reason to
    change to the Bios "z72a"?

    - Can I expect really more speed by the use oft two Samsung SP HDs as
    Raid 0, or are there any limitations from chipset or possible overall
    transfer or effects by the 8 MB cache of the newer Samsung HDs?

    - When I first installed the new Samsung 120 G as a second Master of
    the HighPoint controller to copy from the old 20 G Maxtor the transfer
    was very slow. Is it a problem of such transfers between the channels
    of the HPT, or is Windows 98 sometimes so poor?

    - And a question about the capacitors: are the known problems with
    that capacitors related to current and temperature, and would a
    replacement of the CPU by a piii mean an additional risk for that
    caps? Or can I hope that the capacitors come from a better source as
    they made no problems til today?

    kris2f, Feb 3, 2004

  2. kris2f

    TomG Guest

    the newer version of Highpoint bios is better in most folks opinion... my
    favorite was 2.0.1203 for that version of hardware unless you needed 48 bit
    LBA support for drives larger than 137 gig.
    faster drives with a larger cache will perform faster on the ATA100
    controller.
    the Highpoint hardware has been known to be sluggish in various hardware
    configurations and driver/bios combinations.
    temperature can certainly impact the life of the caps but due to the
    manufacturing process (electrolyte, etc.) there is a better than 50/50
    chance that the caps will fail. this is a well documented problem affecting
    motherboards, power supplies, TV's and most any consumer electronics device
    made during that period. there are at least two people out there repairing
    mobo's and doing a good job of it with a long track record:
    --
    Homie and BigBadger repair boards and have many happy
    customers:

    Homie (AKA Capman), in the US, at:

    http://www.motherboardrepair.com/

    (look for posts from BigBadger if you're in the UK or try him at
    [email protected]***NO-SPAM***.com with the obvious
    spam protection removed...)

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 120,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Feb 3, 2004

  3. kris2f

    Geneve Guest

    Over here I still can not up my cpu to 1 gig without getting an unstable
    system.

    Generally I have it set at 750mhz for the P3 cpu. I also have one of those
    volcano cpu coolers on it.

    I just dont get it.

    I also seem to lose hard drives once inawhile. Sure confuses me.

    If I start the system cold some times the one or to drives wont come online.

    I forget which controller they are on but they are both 80 gig / 7200's.

    Geneve, Feb 3, 2004
  4. kris2f

    TomG Guest

    is your CPU a 133 FSB version of the 1 gig P3? I'd bet it is and the reason
    you have an issue, if this is the case, is that your system does not like
    running with the FSB at 133 either due to insufficient quality RAM or a
    video card that does not like running with the AGP bus at 89 Mhz (or both!).
    the multiplier is 7.5 and when running at 750 Mhz, the system us running
    with the FSB at 100 which is a "standard" supported FSB for the BX chipset.
    to run at 1 Gig, the FSB needs to be at 133 and the result of that is an AGP
    bus that runs at 89 Mhz as opposed to the 66 Mhz that it is intended to run
    at. your ram also needs to be able to run at 133 Mhz since the ram is
    synchronous to the FSB.
    see above...
    could be that you have a drive that is not coming ready in time for the bios
    to detect the drive after POST.

    TomG, Feb 3, 2004
  5. kris2f

    Geneve Guest

    The machine is busy right now. I wont be able to get to the bios for
    at least another hour minimum.

    The FSB is not set to 133. This much I know for sure. I tried 133 and
    ended up lowering it.

    Ram is 512 and its Kingston ram. Two sticks purchased from office
    max at the same time. I have no problems with the ram here it is not
    that.
    The video card that is in there is a "ATI All In Wonder Radeon". This was
    one of the early boards. There is no numbers after the name.
    I believe that is where I set the multiplier. I set it there out of
    frustration when I was not able to use a program like WinRar 3+ after
    a clean install of windows 98 se. I had the multiplier set higher
    for the 133 and well my WinRar files were comming up corrupted. So
    I leaped to thr 750 mhz 7.5 setting and was chicken about trying larger
    numbers after that because all of sudden the system seemed to work a whole
    lot better.

    Ok I see your point now that I got down to this paragraph. reading replying
    the same time here...

    Beats me how I find out about the memory specs now that they are plugged
    in though.

    Once in a blue moon I see some message about SPD 4 error of some kind.
    I have no clue what that is. The board only has three places to put ram.
    What is #4 for? It only happens on rare occasions and is not something
    that happens on a daily bases.

    I think the last time I saw it was a month or more ago.

    I turned off the machine for a few minutes then rebooted and the message
    was no longer there....

    I rebooted again afer the system was running for six hours and the message
    did not show up this time either. So it is curious thing when it happens.

    Oh I will try and get the bios info that I am running latter on too...

    Geneve, Feb 3, 2004
  6. kris2f

    Geneve Guest

    Dunno if this is helpful or not but so far here goes............

    Z72C-72 + HPT 2.32 Custom

    12/03/2001-I440BX-W977-6A69KA1CC-72
    or is it "ICC" ? sorry...

    Under Soft Menu
    ---------------

    Userdefine

    FSB 100
    Multiplier 8.5
    Sel/100 66# Signal default
    PCI Clock 1/4
    AGP /2/3
    AGP Transfer Default
    CPU Core 1.70
    I/O Voltage 3.5
    In Order Depther Queue 8
    Level 2 cache Latenency 15

    Comment I made about drives not showing uponce in a blue moon.
    Two 80 gigs on the Secondary Master.

    I think they are WD's. I can dble check if need be.

    Geneve, Feb 4, 2004
  7. kris2f

    TomG Guest

    you misunderstood... I was saying that the CPU was designed to be a 133 FSB
    CPU with a 7.5 multiplier.
    regardless of the size and make, it needs to be PC133 rated for speed.
    where you have the multiplier in the bios set really doesn't matter since
    Intel CPU's have a locked multiplier internal to the CPU and the bios
    setting has no effect on the CPU.
    well, there are a number of apps out there that will read the SPD off the
    ram, Sandra will do it, CPU-Z will do it, many others. they can tell you
    the rated speed by reading right off the ram while in place.
    not sure exactly what that error means except a SPD error usually shows when
    the bios is trying to reas the SPD and cannot.
    like I said, your board was not designed to run at 133 FSB but many of them
    and their BE6-II and other BX chipset based brothers will. however, to do
    that, you will need ram rated at PC133 and a video card that can tolerate
    running on an overclocked AGP bus.

    TomG, Feb 4, 2004
  8. kris2f

    TomG Guest

    good bios version, has Richard Hopkins' modded Highpoint bios insert to 2.32
    the AGP transfer could be set to Fast to get better AGP transfers. The
    multiplier is set to 8.5 instead of 7.5 but it doesn't matter since the CPU
    has a locked multiplier anyway.
    no need...

    TomG, Feb 4, 2004
  9. kris2f

    Geneve Guest

    I downloaded sandra. I did two test so far. not real sure what
    I should have ran but here is one and it looks like I was wrong about the ram.

    SiSoftware Sandra

    Mainboard
    Manufacturer : <<http:\\www.abit.com.tw>>
    MP Support : No
    Model : I440BX-W977(BX133-RAID/BE6-II v2.0)

    FLASH Memory Controller
    Location : Mainboard
    Error Correction Capability : None
    Number of Memory Slots : 4
    Bank0/1 - DIMM1 : DIMM 256MB/64
    Bank2/3 - DIMM2 : DIMM 256MB/64
    Bank4/5 - DIMM3 : Empty

    Chipset 1
    Model : Intel Corporation 82443BX/ZX 440BX/ZX CPU to PCI Bridge (AGP
    Implemented)
    Bus(es) : ISA AGP PCI USB i2c/SMBus
    Front Side Bus Speed : 1x 133MHz (133MHz data rate)
    Maximum FSB Speed / Max Memory Speed : 1x 100MHz / 1x 100MHz
    Width : 64-bit
    IO Queue Depth : 1 request(s)

    Logical/Chipset 1 Memory Banks
    Bank 0 : 128MB SDRAM 3-3-3-0CL
    Bank 1 : 128MB SDRAM 3-3-3-0CL
    Bank 2 : 128MB SDRAM 3-3-3-0CL
    Bank 3 : 128MB SDRAM 3-3-3-0CL
    Speed : 1x 133MHz (133MHz data rate)
    Multiplier : 1/1x
    Width : 64-bit
    Refresh Rate : 15.60µs
    Power Save Mode : No
    Fixed Hole Present : No

    Memory Module(s)
    Memory Module 1 : MOSEL TM4SN64EPH-10 256MB 16x(16Mx8) SDRAM PC133U-333-542 (CL3
    up to 133MHz)
    Memory Module 2 : Kingston KVR133x64C3256 2B14E403 256MB 16x(16Mx8) SDRAM
    PC133U-333-542 (CL3 up to 133MHz) (CL2 up to 100MHz)

    System Clock Generator
    Model : Realtek RTM520-39D
    Software Programmable : Yes
    Read-Back Support : Yes
    Speed Selected By : Software
    Spread Spectrum Modulated : No
    Number of FSB Speeds : 200
    FSB Speed Range : 50 - 166MHz

    Environment Monitor 1
    Model : Winbond W83782D ISA
    Version : 3.00
    Mainboard Specific Support : No

    Temperature Sensor(s)
    CPU Temperature : 25.5°C / 77.9°F td
    Power / Aux Temperature : 30.0°C / 86.0°F

    Cooling Device(s)
    Auto Fan Speed Control : No
    CPU Fan Speed : 6888rpm

    Voltage Sensor(s)
    CPU Voltage : 1.70V
    Aux Voltage : 1.49V
    +3.3V Voltage : 3.50V
    +5V Voltage : 5.00V
    +12V Voltage : 12.10V
    -12V Voltage : -11.95V
    -5V Voltage : -5.45V
    Standby Voltage : 5.00V
    Battery Voltage : 2.51V

    AGP Bus(es) on Hub 1
    Version : 1.00
    Speed : 1x 88MHz (88MHz data rate)
    Multiplier : 2/3x
    Side Band Enabled : Yes
    Aperture Size : 64MB

    PCI Bus(es) on Hub 1
    Version : 2.10
    Number of Bridges : 1
    PCI Bus 0 : PCI (33MHz)
    Multiplier : 1/4x

    LPC Hub Controller 1
    Model : Intel Corporation 82371EB/MB PIIX4E/M ISA Bridge
    ACPI Power Management Enabled : Yes
    Random Number Generator Enabled : No
    Multiplier : 1/4x
    Speed : 8MHz
    DMA Multiplier : 1/2x
    DMA Speed : 4MHz

    USB Controller 1
    Model : Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4/E/M USB Controller
    Version : 1.10
    Interface : UHCI
    Channels : 2
    Speed : 48MHz
    Supported Speed(s) : Low (1.5Mbps) Full (12Mbps)
    Legacy Emulation Enabled : No

    System SMBus Controller 1
    Model : Intel PIIX4 SMBus / compatible
    Slave Device Enabled : Yes
    Speed : 16kHz

    Expansion Slot(s)
    ISA : ISA 16-bit +5V Full-Length
    PCI (13h) : PCI 32-bit +5V Full-Length Used (High Point Technologies Inc HPT3xx
    UDMA66/100/133 EIDE Controller)
    PCI (11h) : PCI 32-bit +5V Full-Length Available
    PCI (Fh) : PCI 32-bit +5V Full-Length Used (Creative Labs CT4832 SBLive! Value)
    PCI (Dh) : PCI 32-bit +5V Full-Length Used (3COM Corp, Networking Division
    3C905-TX Fast Etherlink 10/100)
    PCI (8h) : PCI 32-bit +5V Full-Length Available
    AGP (8h) : AGP 32-bit +5V Full-Length Used (ATI Technologies All-in-Wonder
    Radeon AGP)

    Port Connector
    PRIMARY IDE : None - ATA / None
    SECONDARY IDE : None - ATA / None
    FDD : 8251 FIFO - Floppy Disk / None
    COM1 : Serial Port 16450 - 9 Pin Dual Inline / DB-9 pin male
    COM2 : Serial Port 16450 - 9 Pin Dual Inline / DB-9 pin male
    LPT1 : Parallel Port ECP/EPP - DB-25 pin female / DB-25 pin female
    Keyboard : Keyboard - None / PS/2
    PS/2 Mouse - Detected : Mouse - PS/2 / PS/2
    USB : USB - None / None

    Performance Tips
    Notice 224 : SMBIOS/DMI information may be inaccurate.
    Tip 2511 : Some memory slots are free so the memory can be easily upgraded.
    Warning 2541 : FSB exceeds Chipset rated speed. Reduce FSB.
    Warning 231 : IOQD is set too low. Performance will suffer.
    Warning 2542 : Memory bus speed exceeds Chipset rated speed. Reduce FSB/memory
    multiplier.
    Tip 2548 : Speed set by software. For reliability, consider by jumpers/switch.
    Tip 2549 : Spread spectrum is off. Consider turning it on to minimise EMI.
    Tip 2 : Double-click tip or press Enter while a tip is selected for more
    information about the tip.

    <<<<<<<<<<<end>>>>>>>>>>
    Those warnings. dont know what to do about those.

    Geneve, Feb 4, 2004
  10. kris2f

    TomG Guest

    looks to me like you are running your system at 133 fsb now! don't fret
    about the warnings, especially the ones that say you are running your system
    above rated speed... because you are!

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 120,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    {major snippage}

    TomG, Feb 5, 2004
  11. kris2f

    Geneve Guest

    I did those tweaks to test the system then ran the reports.

    What happened because of it. I was no longer able to work on
    video work. I was getting error reports from my video software
    to reduce video rates. WHen I was converting something to
    another format I was geting streaming errors.

    A couple times the computer locked up a couple of times.

    I have just reset the settings back to a lower rate here to
    make the errors stop.

    In the back of my mind I keep pondering what about sending the board
    in to that motherboard place to get some things looked at.

    So I dunno.

    When the system boots it says the cpu I think is "1000B" kind ?
    Its kind of quick to move on from that point.

    Geneve, Feb 5, 2004
  12. kris2f

    TomG Guest

    you cannot consider (personal opinion) sending your board in to be looked at
    when the way you are using your board is the issue. if you buy a Yugo to
    run at the Indy 500, it will surely break and break quickly. you are trying
    to use your board for something that it was not intended to be used for and
    that is running the FSB at 133. The fact that plenty of us have been able
    to get away with doing it has nothing to do with it... your video card is
    being forced to run out of spec at 133 FSB and some cards will tolerate that
    and some will not.

    it looks like you have decent quality PC133 ram so that should not be part
    of the problem. realize that you bought a 133 FSB CPU for a board that was
    designed to be a 100 FSB board, regardless of the marketing name that Abit
    chose to attach to that board.

    TomG, Feb 5, 2004
  13. kris2f

    Geneve Guest

    I did not know what I was buying CPU wise. I just wanted a one gig for
    socket 370. Right now I have the FSB lowered to 100.

    Geneve, Feb 5, 2004
  14. kris2f

    TomG Guest

    yup... you'll need to either leave it at FSB 100 or select user define and
    gradually increase the FSB until you find the spot where it becomes
    unstable. I suspect that "spot" would be around 120 FSB or so...

    TomG, Feb 5, 2004