    which of these things do I need to install (if any) if I'm not running a
    RAID setup and are there any corresponding BIOS changes I need to make as
    well (although I doubt that would be the case). Thanks for any answers.

    Heimlich, Jan 2, 2004

  2. Heimlich

    Martijn Stam Guest

    Press F6 during the win2000/xp installation and insert the supplied floppy
    when asked. You have to load at least the Intel SATA driver, or the
    installation will not proceed as the OS doesn't recognize the SATA
    controller(s).

    Even better: Go to the Abit site first and download the latest drivers for
    the two SATA controllers and put them on one floppy. Copy the latest Intel
    LAN drivers on a floppy too, cause it isn't recognized by Windows.

    Martijn Stam

    Martijn Stam, Jan 2, 2004

  3. Heimlich

    TomG Guest

    it depends on how you set the SATA controller. if it is in enhanced mode,
    acting as an IDE controller, then no drivers will be required. if you
    choose to enable the raid mode and raid rom, even though you only have one
    drive (that still works...) then you would need to hit F6 to signal to XP or
    other NT based OS's that you need to install third party SCSI or Raid
    drivers and have the floppy ready.

    my advice is to flash to the most recent bios available (currently 1.9) and
    go to the Intel site or my FTP site (address below) and download the newest
    F6 Floppy drivers to match the newest bios and then also get the Intel
    Application Accelerator - Raid version which is a GUI for interacting with
    the controller and volumes on the controller. the IAA-R will also take
    advantage of any performance benefits that may not be taken advantage of by
    the OS.

    The above suggestions are only valid if you choose to enable the Raid Mode
    and Raid ROM.

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 120,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Jan 2, 2004
  4. Heimlich

    Martijn Stam Guest

    Without the drivers I wasn't able to install XP, and I don't use the Intel
    ICH5 raid function...

    Martijn Stam

    Martijn Stam, Jan 2, 2004
  5. Heimlich

    Courseyauto Guest

    Without the drivers I wasn't able to install XP, and I don't use the Intel
    ICH5 raid function...

    Martijn Stam

    Without the raid driver it cant find the hard drive with XP and 2000,if you
    try to install 98 or ME it will load most of the OS without any drivers but
    wont reboot.
    DOUG

    Courseyauto, Jan 2, 2004
  6. Heimlich

    Heimlich Guest

    Tom,

    Is there any advantage for me to run with RAID mode enabled if I won't be
    using a RAID setup? Also, what would be required if say a few weeks from
    now I just say screw it and buy another HD and want to hook it up in a RAID
    array? I'm guessing I'd just have to switch a few BIOS settings and
    probably format both drives...anything else? Thanks.

    Derek

    Heimlich, Jan 3, 2004
  7. Heimlich

    TomG Guest

    believe it or not, the IAA-R GUI has a feature where it will create a raid 0
    or a raid 1 on the fly. I have no idea how long it takes or anything like
    that as I have never used it but if you download the docs for the IAA-R GUI
    you will find a section dedicated to creating a raid with an already
    existing system.

    no harm in having the Raid mode and bios already enabled...

    TomG, Jan 3, 2004
  8. Heimlich

    Heimlich Guest

    Tom,

    Great! I think that's exactly what I'm going to do then. The more I think
    about it, makes no sense for me to have a RAID capable board without taking
    advantage of it. The extra HD won't put too big of a dent in the
    wallet...thanks for all the help. And just to make sure, all the drivers
    I'll need to install can be installed during the F6 portion of the Windows
    setup, correct? Is there anything I'll have to install after OS
    installation? Thanks again.

    Derek

    Heimlich, Jan 3, 2004
  9. Heimlich

    TomG Guest

    after the installation, that is when you would be installing the IAA-R
    application (which can easily be confused with the drivers since they are
    both referred to as the IAA-R but one is a set of drivers, installed via F6
    during install, and the other is an application.) read the documentation on
    the IAA-R GUI and you will find the section on creating a raid array on the
    fly...

    TomG, Jan 3, 2004