    does not make. The core support of genuine PC hardware-enthusiasts
    not impressed by such gimmicks has gone elsewhere.

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Dec 29, 2005

  2. John Lewis

    Jim Guest

    John,
    See also;
    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=26459

    The consolidation of low-cost manufacturing power in the hands of a few
    giant companies, like Elitegroup and Asus, is making it harder for
    smaller players, like Abit, to compete. "We are targeting power users
    and gamers, and doing pretty good, but if you compare us to large
    motherboard manufacturers, we don't have the economies of scale. It's
    harder for a niche market player like Abit to hold our place in the
    market."

    Jim, Dec 29, 2005

  3. John Lewis

    - HAL9000 Guest

    Ok. What concrete (non gimmick) technology is there a demand for?

    Seems like there might be a demand for high def tv (mobo) outputs that
    would work simultaneously with a standard agp / pci-e video card. Not
    sure what is going on in that area with the new "dual head" stuff.
    How about built in 802.11g with an antenna connector? How about a 2
    tiered solution to memory sockets? One or two sockets at highest
    speed and five or six sockets with slower speed? The sky is the
    limit, where to next...

    Forrest

    Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
    http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/

    - HAL9000, Dec 29, 2005
  4. John, as ever I'm perplexed by your penchant for posting links to articles
    critical of Abit, again as per normal headed by a subject line that actually
    goes further than the article you're quoting. Why, o harbinger of doom, do
    you never seem to post positive stories?

    If this is an attempt to goad Abit into some sort of "action", surely you'd
    be better off emailing the company direct. If it is to "educate" readers of
    the group, why do you seem to confine your "education" to articles critical
    of the company or its products?

    You'll be telling us that Father Christmas doesn't really exist next...
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

    Richard Hopkins, Dec 30, 2005
  5. Richard Hopkins wrote:

    <snip>

    | You'll be telling us that Father Christmas doesn't really exist
    | next...

    Did he get one of these ...

    http://pages.sbcglobal.net/jefn/coal.jpg

    .... when he rushed to look for presents beneath the tree on Christmas
    morning?

    Father Christmas can be such a nasty bastard for bad little boys!

    Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood®
    Jef

    Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood®, Dec 30, 2005
  6. John Lewis

    McGrandpa Guest

    That's one article. There are others, and interviews. There are some good
    reviews of many of their later products. Though all have of theirs is a
    nice handful of Slot 1 440BX mobos. And every one of them still working
    fine. Seems you have a few bones to pick with a few vendors. Care to say
    why?
    McG.

    McGrandpa, Dec 30, 2005
  7. John Lewis

    specialty Guest

    Been using abit ever since the old green boards from the early 90's. I
    personally am very happy with every upgrade I have done. This new fatal1ty I
    just built is rock solid.

    Mike

    specialty, Dec 31, 2005
  8. John Lewis

    John Lewis Guest

    I gave that up a long, long time ago, with regard to manual
    documentation improvements.... zero replies. Abit's documentation is
    still as inaccurate and incomplete as all the other motherboard
    vendors - in spite of their self-proclaimed "appeal to enthusiasts".
    Please don't propagate any such false rumors....

    With the current fiscal situation, Abit is perched on the edge of
    financial collapse. Warranty and technical support might cease
    to exist very suddenly.

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Dec 31, 2005
  9. I would happily upgrade to another ABit motherboard if I had a need.
    My NF7-S v2.0 machines with Barton 2500s running as 3200+ do
    everything I want them to do. No need for the AMD X2 either; if some
    program wants to tie up my machine, I have the spare. :)

    I think a lot of enthusiasts are in the same boat, they may want a
    computer upgrade but find it hard to justify.

    Ak

    Alfred Kaufmann, Dec 31, 2005
  10. John Lewis

    h2so4 Guest

    I wont buy Abit again. Bling's not my thing

    h2so4, Jan 4, 2006