    Gigabyte get away with passive heatsinks on sa i865pe with no fans.

    Anyone have a go at this yet ?

    T1000

    T1000, Sep 9, 2003

  2. T1000

    JK Guest

    On the nforce2 abit nf7-s I know that the chipset fan has been removed
    at an overclocked motherboard with success.

    The blue zalman I know comes with parts for quite clever mounting
    without glue (thermal paste should be applied).

    But the motherboard has to be dismounted from cabinet for dismounting
    the fan. It is necessary for compressing the smal pins holding it.

    best regards

    John

    JK, Sep 9, 2003

  3. T1000

    Larry Webb Guest

    I glued a Zalman passive heat sink on my IC7-G chipset and it works great.

    Larry

    Larry Webb, Sep 9, 2003
  4. T1000

    Slamadatan Guest

    Yep, and it was the best move I ever made.

    The heatsink on the Northbridge for the IS7/IC7 is tiny, loud and
    inefficient. I replaced it with the Zalman NB32(?) gold-coloured passive
    heatsink and my system is both quieter and cooler.

    As the other guys have said, you'll need to remove the existing hsf, which
    is easy enough and then decide how you wish to mount the Zalman. Although
    the thermal epoxy works fine, it is permanent and will not conduct heat as
    well as a dedicated thermal paste, esp of the silver variety. Likewise, the
    adjustable pins cannot be used due to the non-standard mounting mechanism on
    the Abit boards.

    Best solution is to re-use the mounting mechanism from the pathetic Abit
    cooler. The silver ring will fit perfectly over the Zalman cooler if you
    file off the three outermost pins on each corner. It's starting to sound
    complicated, but trust me it's not. When you've got it in your hands it will
    all make sense and you'll understand how I and many others on the boards at
    http://forum.abit-usa.com/ did. Do a search for Northbridge + Zalman. Just
    try and get the gold version and not the earlier blue version which didn't
    perform as well.
    I'm overclocking my 2.4C and even managed to increase my overclock from
    260fsb to 270fsb after the change (3.12Ghz -> 3.24) so it has improved the
    chipset cooling.

    Slamadatan, Sep 10, 2003
  5. T1000

    John Lewis Guest

    Or just buy the new Abit NB heatsink w/ tiny-tiny quiet fan from
    www.excaliberpc.com for $5 plus shipping.

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Sep 10, 2003
  6. T1000

    John Lewis Guest

    It clips under 2 of the existing 4 retainers. No glue. Works like
    champ. Looks "pretty" too. In fact the new heatsink is sufficiently
    large and the fan so small, that the fan can be disconnected,
    provided that there is some airflow over the NB area.

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Sep 10, 2003
  7. T1000

    h2so4 Guest

    I would simply add that if the Zalman passive heatsink works so well, I cant
    see why the new shiny blue Abit fan should be just as efficient without a
    fan. It is made from the same material, i.e., aluminium and it probably has
    just as efficient heat dissipation as the Zalman.
    I'm running the new fan and I can't hear it. I replaced it because the
    earlier one has started to get increasingly noisy at start up. As for the
    two click connection, there are a worrying number of posts on the Abit forum
    reporting that the fan has fallen off due to a retaining hook pulling out of
    its mounting. However, three days since I changed to this fan, so far so
    good...

    BTW I got my replacement free from Abit in the Netherlands simply by
    emailing them with the serial number from my motherboard.

    h2so4, Sep 11, 2003
  8. T1000

    Metaphoid Guest

    In a word - surface area. The Zalman has 99 3cm high pins on a base with
    considerably more size and mass than the entire heatsink of the Abit
    original. It is the defacto premium Northbridge heatsink on the market.

    It is made from the same material, i.e., aluminium and it probably has

    Metaphoid, Sep 11, 2003
  9. T1000

    Kjell S. Guest

    The Zalman NB32J (The golden heatsink) of the NB47J (The new blue heatsink)?[/QUOTE]

    I just modded my NB47J for my ABIT IS7. By cutting of three pins at
    each corner you can use the ring mechanism from the crappy ABIT fan.

    Temperatures seem to be about the same, and it's dead silent.

    Kjell S., Sep 11, 2003
  10. T1000

    roger.s Guest

    May I ask What CPU fan are you using..

    roger.s, Sep 12, 2003
  11. T1000

    Skid Guest

    Nope. The new cooler is a real improvement, cools better and is noticeably
    quieter than the old one.

    Skid's Baby Behemoth:
    P4C week 22 Malay 2.4@3.3ghz (275x12)
    Vantec AeroFlow, idle 44C, max load 60C @ 1.55V
    512 megs Buffalo Tech PC3700 (BH-5 chips) @ 5:4 (220 fsb) 2.3.2.6
    Abit IC-7
    Radeon 9500 non-pro, hard-modded and overclocked to 9700 Pro
    Sandra: cpu 10K+, buffered memory 5840+
    3DMark 2001 17,500
    3DMark 2003 5170

    Skid, Sep 12, 2003