Abit IS7 Motherboard problems, please help

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Ron, Nov 5, 2003.

  1. Ron

    Ron Guest

    I recently installed an IS7, Pentium 4 2.6, and 512 Meg PC3200 Memory.
    Now, the machine will no boot up. It gets as far as the Windows XP
    welcome screen, and for a split second, i can see a blue screen, but
    it goes by too fast, so I cannot see the error message. And it simply
    starts from scratch. I did not really touch any of the settings in the
    Bios.

    Well, i thought it might be the memory, so i took it to a local
    computer shop, and they tried 2 other types of memory, and the same
    thing happened. He recommended I try to reinstall the operating
    system. He also said it may be the video card (Visiontek GeForce
    TI4200 128Meg), but i dont think that is the problem because it is
    relatively new. Power supply is 350watt, hard drive is a crappy IBM
    ata/100 60 Gig, so maybe the hard drive is not welcomed by the
    motherboard.

    Anyone have any suggestions for me?

    Thanks,
    Ron

    Ron, Nov 5, 2003

  2. Ron

    TomG Guest

    the 875 and 865 chipsets on the IC7 and IS7 are "particular" about ram.
    frequently, moving the DDR voltage to 2.7 and setting the ram timing to
    looser numbers, as opposed to "By SPD". set the timing to as high as
    possible for each of the 4 settings just as a starting point with the idea
    of reducing the numbers as soon as you are comfortable the system is stable
    and you know what "normal" behavior is for the system.

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 118,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Nov 5, 2003

  3. Ron - I had exactly the same trouble with my IS7-G and what worked was to
    format and re-install OS on the HDD. I have not had a problem since. I do
    not know what actually causes this but suspect a problem with the MBR
    (master boot record) on the HDD. This was using a WD 60G 7200rpm HDD and PNY
    GF4 Ti4200 64M. Also can you possible verify that your Standby/Sleep LED is
    on all the time and blinks when in sleep mode? Seems it should be off all
    the time and only blink when asleep?

    Robert

    Robert Van Vugt, Nov 5, 2003
  4. Ron

    Ron Guest

    Yep, I did that and it fixed it. Accoring to a local computer store,
    Windows 2000 and XP dont like major changes like a system board, etc.
    So, you can try to repair the version of xp, or just do a fresh
    install. I did a fresh install, and all works well. I also got a
    serial ATA hard drive. Man, does it fly now!

    Ron, Nov 11, 2003
  5. Ron - Good to hear ya got it going! Mine flies as well but does get hot
    under heavy load (64C). Have some new fans coming and a new heatsink. Could
    you check your standby/sleep LED? mine is on all the time and starts
    flashing/blinking in standby mode. On my old BE6 board the LED was off all
    the time and only came on/blinked while in standby.

    Robert

    Robert Van Vugt, Nov 12, 2003