ABIT IS7 OnBoard LAN Problems

Discussion in 'Abit' started by C Benoit, Aug 28, 2003.

  1. C Benoit

    C Benoit Guest

    Hi,

    I just purchased an ABIT IS7, and was surprised to find that it came
    with a 3Com 3c940 Gigabit NIC on board, which I thought was only
    present on the IS7-G models. After reading a few messages, I see that
    there seems to be a few base model IS7's that were manufactured with
    the extra feature. Neato.

    However, I am having a hard time getting the NIC to actually work. I
    know it's not my connection that's the problem, since all other
    computers on my home network can connect to the internet fine, and the
    cables have all been used before successfully. I've tried flashing
    the BIOS (upto version 16 now I think), downloading the latest lan
    drivers found on the IS7-G downloads page, tried disabling/enabling
    the "enhancement" toggle found in CMOS...nothing works, I can never
    receive any packets, and I can't browse the network.

    Does anyone have any ideas about what I can do to get this thing up
    and running?

    Thanks
    C Benoit

    C Benoit, Aug 28, 2003

  2. C Benoit

    Kjell S. Guest

    I also got the 3Com Gigabit NIC on my board, an IS7-E. That's what I
    call bang for the buck! Anyway, I downloaded the latest (?) drivers and
    it works flawlessly. In BIOS I have the speed thingy turned on, and the
    ROM-something turned off.

    ftp://ftp2.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/lan/3com/3c940/044_3c940.zip

    (Abit seems to have an older version on their page)

    Sorry I can't be of more help.

    Kjell S., Aug 28, 2003

  3. C Benoit

    R. J. Salvi Guest

    You might try uninstalling, then reinstalling your TCP/IP protocol.

    R. J. Salvi, Aug 28, 2003
  4. C Benoit

    TomG Guest

    there have been some posts about problems with the onboard gigabit NIC on
    the IC7 and IS7 boards. I have not had any issues with either NIC on either
    board and I have both boards running on my LAN.

    did you get the drivers installed okay? no problems showing in the device
    manager? the order I installed drivers was the Intel Inf chipset drivers
    and then the NIC drivers off the CD. from there, you would need to make
    sure that the OS is seeing the device and has the correct TCP/IP address set
    up and such.

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified